RW Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall, Dallas) II

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver wouldn't use a rookie with the twins, or any top line unless they are defensive dynamos.

Switch Kassian and Nichushkin and Kassian would be the one lighting it up on the top line and Nich would be on the 4th line/press box and would have probably booked his flight back to Russia by now.

Not even saying Vancouver is right, but they took the right guy for their organization.

There's a huge difference between Kassian and Nichushkin when it comes to pure skill

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I dont know if nuke would be with the team right off the bat, would have been interesting to see.

I was hoping the Canucks would grab Nichushkin at the draft and felt Horvat was maybe a 12-15 type pick but he's surpassed my expectations and looks a worthy 9th overall. So I'm not so wary of the pick now.

I don't think Nichushkin would have cracked the Nucks line up and so he'd have been back in the KHL given the Canucks were full of veterans. Nichushkin probably would have been squeezed out. OTOH Dallas is a rebuilding team that hasn't seen the playoffs in 5 years so they had no reason not to make a spot. Seguin trade is looking great for them too.

Canucks got a great 2-way centre, Dallas got a great offensive winger. Both teams got excellent assets. Picking winners and losers at this point is a waste of time, it is going to take 2+ seasons even Horvat will likely have to work his way up from 3C with Kesler and Sedin ahead of him.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nah, we're good thanks. Gonna take more than 4 goals in 27 games to make me regret taking a guy who has a 200-foot game and is averaging over 1.5 PPG. Believe it or not it is actually possible for Nichushkin to become a good player AND for Horvat to have been a good pick. This isn't Highlander; there can be more than one ...

Believe it or not, but actually reading my post would help. :nod: If you actually did that , you'll realize that not only did I say that Horvat will be a good player, but I also said that I've made this claim before. No need to half read my statements and jump to conclusions when you can ACTUALLY read them.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Believe it or not, but actually reading my post would help. :nod: If you actually did that , you'll realize that not only did I say that Horvat will be a good player, but I also said that I've made this claim before. No need to half read my statements and jump to conclusions when you can ACTUALLY read them.

Not sure what exactly you think I didn't understand in your post ...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "the Nucks ****ed up." They should have taken Nichushkin with the 9th overall. Horvat will be a good player imo, but not on Nich's level. I was ASTOUNDED when they didn't take Nichushkin quite honestly. But as someone who considers the Nucks to be in his least favourite 3 teams, I'm more than happy. :nod:

But since you seem to suffer from the same reading comprehension skills you accuse others of, I'll slow it down for you ...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "the Nucks ****ed up." They should have taken Nichushkin with the 9th overall.

Disagree. Hence the "Nah, we're good."

Horvat will be a good player imo, but not on Nich's level.

Disagree. Again consistent with my post. But in case it wasn't clear, I was in no way suggesting that Horvat will be the lesser player of the two - quite the opposite actually - but since this is a Nichushkin thread I was trying to stay polite and not sidetrack it into a Horvat vs Nichushkin fest.

I was ASTOUNDED when they didn't take Nichushkin quite honestly. But as someone who considers the Nucks to be in his least favourite 3 teams, I'm more than happy. :nod:

Nice to know but don't really care ;)

Again not sure what it is about your post that you think I didn't understand but I hope this clears it up. As for other posts you've made on this subject, I suggest you go read all the other posts I've made on the subject as well to clear things up. And if your response is that you don't have time to go dig through another posters long post history to understand one post ... well you'll understand exactly how I feel as well.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not sure what exactly you think I didn't understand in your post ...

But since you seem to suffer from the same reading comprehension skills you accuse others of, I'll slow it down for you ...

Disagree. Hence the "Nah, we're good."

Disagree. Again consistent with my post. But in case it wasn't clear, I was in no way suggesting that Horvat will be the lesser player of the two - quite the opposite actually - but since this is a Nichushkin thread I was trying to stay polite and not sidetrack it into a Horvat vs Nichushkin fest.

Nice to know but don't really care ;)

Again not sure what it is about your post that you think I didn't understand but I hope this clears it up. As for other posts you've made on this subject, I suggest you go read all the other posts I've made on the subject as well to clear things up. And if your response is that you don't have time to go dig through another posters long post history to understand one post ... well you'll understand exactly how I feel as well.

You know, posting multiple of the same quote doesn't really help your case. But after I said that Horvat will be a good player, in addition to Nichushkin, you went on to say that "believe it or not, they can both be good players..." You were beating a dead horse at that point. And honestly, if you don't care about my opinion, don't quote me. Simple as that. And before you jump on the difference between good pick and good player, picking a good player is always a "good" pick, but I still believe that the other option is BETTER. But you don't care about my opinion, so no need to respond. ;)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You know, posting multiple of the same quote doesn't really help your case. But after I said that Horvat will be a good player, in addition to Nichushkin, you went on to say that "believe it or not, they can both be good players..." You were beating a dead horse at that point. And honestly, if you don't care about my opinion, don't quote me. Simple as that. And before you jump on the difference between good pick and good player, picking a good player is always a "good" pick, but I still believe that the other option is BETTER. But you don't care about my opinion, so no need to respond. ;)

Well I was *hoping* posting your quote line by line would help you see the inherent contradictions in your own post but I guess that was expecting too much. Let me try another tact ...

You said "Vancouver ****ED up by not taking Nichushkin" implying that there is a significant gap between the two. If there is no gap, or the gap is small, it makes no sense to say they ****ed up, understand?

In my response I was refuting your implication that taking Horvat was in any way shape or form a **** up. You may say "oh ya Horvat is good too" but your initial implication remains clear, that you think Nichushkin is a significantly better player. I disagree. He will not be a significantly better player, or even a slightly better player, so in fact no **** up occurred.

Better?

Edit: and while you are correct that I don't *care* about your opinion - any more than you do mine I'm sure - it is in the nature of a message board to respond to people whose opinions we don't care about. Happens to be a slow day for me I guess ;)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I've said it before, I'll say it again, "the Nucks ****ed up." They should have taken Nichushkin with the 9th overall. Horvat will be a good player imo, but not on Nich's level. I was ASTOUNDED when they didn't take Nichushkin quite honestly. But as someone who considers the Nucks to be in his least favourite 3 teams, I'm more than happy. :nod:

At least we didn't pay Detroit to take Mantha off our hands. :nod:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Why do people assume his production would be the same if a different team had picked him? Ridiculous

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Quotes from Gonchar on Nichushkin ..
When you were in Pittsburgh, you helped Yevgeni Malkin get comfortable with the North American lifestyle. Here in Dallas, what are you doing to help 18-year-old rookie Valeri Nichushkin on and off the ice?

I’ve helped him with the simple things. Everything is new to him. The hockey is a little bit quicker and the rink is smaller. You’re adjusting to a lot of things, like the language. I’m trying to help him with translation, telling him how things work and what he needs to do to prepare himself. He does a great job learning by himself too. He’s pushing himself to learn the language. He’s living with an American family. I think he’s doing well.

Nichushkin looks like Malkin at times. Do you see similarities?

To a certain extent. But he’s a different kind of player. He has the ability to be one of those players, similar to Alex [Ovechkin] and Yevgeni [Malkin]. He just has a little different style. He can be at that level, scoring as much and being as good as those guys. At the same time, he uses his body a little more, protecting the puck a little more. Him being 18 but already being so big and strong gives him that advantage. He’s taking advantage of it.

Full interview can be found here (article is about Gonchar btw) ..
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/....html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=2be6f50c2a

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
At least we didn't pay Detroit to take Mantha off our hands. :nod:

:laugh: In all fairness, I was livid when that happened. I'd assumed they were trading up for Mantha, but nope... :cry:

I'm happy with Mueller, but I think the Sharks made a mistake. That was before Mantha's great season this year.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Valeri Nichushkin to Rsport: I play against guys that will go to Sochi and i can't see they're much better than me in those minutes

Via Igor Eronko's Twitter

Lundface*

There's a huge difference between Kassian and Nichushkin when it comes to pure skill

When given a chance with the twins to start last season Kassian had 5 goals and an 1 assist in 7 games. He hasn't gotten a chance with them since....

The point wasn't that Nichusklin wouldn't be good enough, but Van want's their young guys to be defensively solid. I already mentioned I don't think it's right but it is what they are doing.

For their team I'm glad they took Horvat. The kid already has a good defensive game so they don't have to bang their heads against the wall trying to develop it.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
The point wasn't that Nichusklin wouldn't be good enough, but Van want's their young guys to be defensively solid. I already mentioned I don't think it's right but it is what they are doing.

What makes you think that Nichushkin isn't defensively solid?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yea, he's not bad defensively. Which is to say, he's not a liability. That being said, Horvat over Nichushkin was and is a head-scratcher.

Not really, Horvat was ranked a bit lower because he wasn't as offensive as some would like for a first round pick but he's shown he is this year while still being really good in his own end

I would have been happy with either and don't feel the need to compare them. We don't know if he would have made the Canucks this year so there's no need to kick ourselves every time he gets a point on Dallas's top line, just like if we did pick him I wouldn't kick myself every time Horvat has a good game

Time will tell

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not really, Horvat was ranked a bit lower because he wasn't as offensive as some would like for a first round pick but he's shown he is this year while still being really good in his own end

I would have been happy with either and don't feel the need to compare them. We don't know if he would have made the Canucks this year so there's no need to kick ourselves every time he gets a point on Dallas's top line, just like if we did pick him I wouldn't kick myself every time Horvat has a good game

Time will tell

I don't think the team that drafted him had the choice of playing him in thr minors so not making the team wasn't an option. He made it pretty clear before the draft that it was nhl or khl so a team had to make a commitment to let him develop in the nhl if they were going to draft him

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I don't think the team that drafted him had the choice of playing him in thr minors so not making the team wasn't an option. He made it pretty clear before the draft that it was nhl or khl so a team had to make a commitment to let him develop in the nhl if they were going to draft him

Actually he never made it clear.The Decision that was made for him to play in the NHL or back in the KHL was an agreement made by his KHL team [ which had him signed for another 2 yrs ] and the Dallas organization.
As for Nick . I had him pegged at the # 3 spot behind Mackinnon and Drouin for forwards.4th overall if you add in Jones.
A steal by Dallas.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I still remember draft day. "The oilers are proud to select from the soo..." Click goes the TV and I walked out the door to go grocery shopping. I was like F this crap. Think both Yak and Val on a line together would have been epic.

Months later I am warming up to this pick because Nurse will be a great dman #2 or #3 with a long shot at being a true #1. But dam still wish Edmonton would have taken him .

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver wouldn't use a rookie with the twins, or any top line unless they are defensive dynamos.

Switch Kassian and Nichushkin and Kassian would be the one lighting it up on the top line and Nich would be on the 4th line/press box and would have probably booked his flight back to Russia by now.

Not even saying Vancouver is right, but they took the right guy for their organization.

Please never use Kassian and Nichushkin in the same sentence.:laugh:
It's like comparing Mercedes to a Hyundia.:shakehead

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Please never use Kassian and Nichushkin in the same sentence.:laugh:
It's like comparing Mercedes to a Hyundia.:shakehead

LOL lets see how nuke keeps this up, and im sure he will on the wing of benn and seguin.

Or maybe we should put kas with the sedins and see a point race and who keeps this up over 82 games next season.

jamie and seguin are elite stars, but if people think burrows bounces goals off the sticks of the seidns, i would love to hear excuses if kassian does the same, and he did at the start of last season. But it would be no different then nuke playing on the line of an elite line mates.

And as for the people who say canuck fans keep bringing up horvat, well unfortunately every other fan base in every other thread brings up how we passed over nuke. The fans on the nucks board love horvat, lets all move on.

Congrats to the stars, were excited however with horvat.

With that said i think nuke is a physical force. Unfortunately we dont have a jamie benn to lead our team, we need a leader and center to take over for the team.

Last edited:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
LOL lets see how nuke keeps this up, and im sure he will on the wing of benn and seguin.

Or maybe we should put kas with the sedins and see a point race and who keeps this up over 82 games next season.

jamie and seguin are elite stars, but if people think burrows bounces goals off the sticks of the seidns, i would love to hear excuses if kassian does the same, and he did at the start of last season. But it would be no different then nuke playing on the line of an elite line mates.

And as for the people who say canuck fans keep bringing up horvat, well unfortunately every other fan base in every other thread brings up how we passed over nuke. The fans on the nucks board love horvat, lets all move on.

Congrats to the stars, were excited however with horvat.

With that said i think nuke is a physical force. Unfortunately we dont have a jamie benn to lead our team, we need a leader and center to take over for the team.

Yeah I am happy with Horvat at least he won't be rushing himself. Smart by Gillis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad