RW Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall, Dallas) II

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

He can't elevate the puck to save his life. But it will come as he progresses.

Haha, I see what you mean. Looks like he just needs to learn that most NHL goalies can stretch post-to-post and that dekes on the ice, no matter how quick, rarely work anymore.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with VN!

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Haha, I see what you mean. Looks like he just needs to learn that most NHL goalies can stretch post-to-post and that dekes on the ice, no matter how quick, rarely work anymore.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with VN!
It Just sometimes amazed me how 18yr kid can dominate at posession or speed at best world league.
He just need to catch his wave -He makes too many moves so he need to learn 1-2 his special moves - like Rick Nash does - and catch this situation 1 on 1 which he has each game almost

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
I will say right now that some of the teams that passed on Nichushkin at the draft will be haunted by that fact. The fact that they let this man slip past them.

He has an incredible skill set. He has size, he has strength, he has control, and he has speed. Deceptive speed, even. I'll be honest the first few times I watched him I was surprised at how fast of a skater he is. The fact that he can already beat defenders one on one and rush the puck to the net as well as he can is really impressive.

Seriously, when I watch Nichushkin, I see Rick Nash and Evgeny Malkin. Right now he's incredibly raw, although I've noticed his game's starting to look a bit more comfortable in the North American, small ice style. But nonetheless, he's raw right now. Give this guy a few years, he's going to get faster, he's going to get stronger, he's going to get used to the NHL style, and his game will be polished just like Malkin's is now and he is going to be an absolute FORCE.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I will say right now that some of the teams that passed on Nichushkin at the draft will be haunted by that fact. The fact that they let this man slip past them.

I think the Oilers are quite happy with Darnell Nurse.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State

He has an incredible skill set. He has size, he has strength, he has control, and he has speed. Deceptive speed, even. I'll be honest the first few times I watched him I was surprised at how fast of a skater he is. The fact that he can already beat defenders one on one and rush the puck to the net as well as he can is really impressive.

Seriously, when I watch Nichushkin, I see Rick Nash and Evgeny Malkin. Right now he's incredibly raw, although I've noticed his game's starting to look a bit more comfortable in the North American, small ice style. But nonetheless, he's raw right now. Give this guy a few years, he's going to get faster, he's going to get stronger, he's going to get used to the NHL style, and his game will be polished just like Malkin's is now and he is going to be an absolute FORCE.

I like the Nash/Malkin comparison. Not much of a defensive player, but when he adapts to the NHL he'll be a force.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
I think the Oilers are quite happy with Darnell Nurse.

I said some teams. And still, I know the Oilers need defense and all, but the point I'm trying to make is that Nichushkin is a top 3 talent from this draft that slipped past teams because he's Russian.

Anyways, Nich heating up again, 4 point game right now vs. the Flyers. 1g+3a. NOT all on the PP :laugh: as was originally reported on nhl.com

That's 7 points in his last 3 games.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Carolina, Buffalo, and especially Vancouver are kicking themselves for not taking him.

He is good with Seguin/Benn but what if he was on the Sedin's wing?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I said some teams. And still, I know the Oilers need defense and all, but the point I'm trying to make is that Nichushkin is a top 3 talent from this draft that slipped past teams because he's Russian.

Anyways, Nich heating up again, 4 point game right now vs. the Flyers. 1g+3a. NOT all on the PP :laugh: as was originally reported on nhl.com

That's 7 points in his last 3 games.

Agreed, the guy is in Barkov's tier IMO and if he wasn't Russian he'd be a lock for the top 5.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Carolina, Buffalo, and especially Vancouver are kicking themselves for not taking him.
And Edmonton is not?

Ristolainen is at least equal to Nurse at this point.

Sorry for ot. Nich looks pretty awesome right now.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I don't think so, they all knew how talented he was at the draft. Vancouver got a potential shutdown top 6 center, Carolina got a potential 2-way top line forward, Buffalo got a potential top pairing D.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
And Edmonton is not?

Ristolainen is at least equal to Nurse at this point.

Sorry for ot. Nich looks pretty awesome right now.

No, Edmonton is an abundance of wingers in Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Perron, etc. We needed a stud d-man prospect and thats what Nurse is.

I'm not saying Nurse is a better talent than Nichushkin but he is a much bigger need in our organization.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

He is good with Seguin/Benn but what if he was on the Sedin's wing?

I don't think Vancouver's kicking themselves just yet. Considering Horvat's play so far this year, including the fact that he might be the best two-way player in the CHL, I think there's a lot of hockey left for these two guys to play before you can make a judgement call on who will be better.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I don't think so, they all knew how talented he was at the draft. Vancouver got a potential shutdown top 6 center, Carolina got a potential 2-way top line forward, Buffalo got a potential top pairing D.
This. Also I think Nichuskin is now probably the closest to their ceiling compared to the other top picks.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't think Vancouver's kicking themselves just yet. Considering Horvat's play so far this year, including the fact that he might be the best two-way player in the CHL, I think there's a lot of hockey left for these two guys to play before you can make a judgement call on who will be better.

I know it's still pretty early and it can't be determined who is better but Nichushkin is exactly what Vancouver, Carolina, and Buffalo all need right now.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
No, Edmonton is an abundance of wingers in Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Perron, etc. We needed a stud d-man prospect and thats what Nurse is.

I'm not saying Nurse is a better talent than Nichushkin but he is a much bigger need in our organization.
I see your point. But remember that also Buffalo was in need for a top defensive guy. Also I think you should always go for BPA instead of need. You can always move your pieces in the future to improve your team's weakness, when you have valuable pieces to do so. I do understand EDM taking Nurse over Nich though.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This. Also I think Nichuskin is now probably the closest to their ceiling compared to the other top picks.

Nich looks nowhere near to his ceiling. I've seen 6 Stars games and the guy is extremely raw.

This guy has so much room for improvement and has shown stretches where it looked like Rick Nash was in his uniform playing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Au contraire, Nichushkin has just scratched the surface. As I said before the draft, Nichushkin has upside to rival Mackinnon, Drouin, and Jones.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If he had capitalized on even a quarter of the chances he's had in previous games, he'd be running away with the rookie scoring lead by now.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I see your point. But remember that also Buffalo was in need for a top defensive guy. Also I think you should always go for BPA instead of need. You can always move your pieces in the future to improve your team's weakness, when you have valuable pieces to do so. I do understand EDM taking Nurse over Nich though.

I mean the Oilers are probably a little disappointed they didn't take Nich but Nurse's dominance in the OHL is making us feel better about it.

Looking at Buffalo, they're biggest need is a guy who can put the puck in the net. Their forwards look absolutely horrendous after Vanek and Pominville were shipped out.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I know it's still pretty early and it can't be determined who is better but Nichushkin is exactly what Vancouver, Carolina, and Buffalo all need right now.
Buffalo already has streaky sniper guys like Grigorenko and Armia. They much rather need a top dman prospect rather than another streaky sniper.

And Lindholm has been pretty good for Carolina. I would rather build a team around guy like him. I'm not saying he's the next Peter Forsberg, but he plays similar style with excellent two-way-play.

All I'm trying to say is that none of these teams should be kicking themselves for not taking Nich, at this point. Come back later in 3-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad