RW Simon Holmström - HV71 J20, SuperElit (2019, 23rd, NYI)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Not top15 but here Holmstrom was ranked 18 in FC early fall ranking (select fall)
https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings-2019/

You got a very solid player, I had him 23rd also, terrific skating ability, with hands and IQ that can match his speed. I was hoping he would fall to MTL 2nd rounder because of the injuries.

The poster said that Lamoriello would have drafted Holmstrom 1st overall which is false.

I’m just curious where this information has been reported.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The poster said that Lamoriello would have drafted Holmstrom 1st overall which is false.

I’m just curious where this information has been reported.

That poster might not even really be an isles fan. I have my suspicions about a few posters on our board.

Back to the topic, There’s no way Lou said that or feels that way. That’s ridiculous

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Think I agree with this, even though I'm still pretty salty about our center depth. I know you're not supposed to draft for need but boy we have an issue there.

It's not ideal... but the most important thing is what they have in the NHL currently. Matt Barzal is super young and a strong #1 C for the next decade +. If you've got that, it isn't so bad. Nelson isn't a great 2C, but he's ok, Cizikas is a great bottom six C. All three of those guys should be around for another 5+ years. If the Islanders could produce just one middle six C through the draft or elsewhere, they're in good shape.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
An intriguing pick. If it weren’t for the injuries, 23OA would be justified.

Is his style similar to Filip Forsberg, perhaps w less dangling ability?Reminds me based on the scouting reports I read.

No, they are not similar at all. I've been trying to figure out a good comparable for him but I can't think of one. Closest I can think of is Rickard Rakell.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Don't think there is a thread for this kid. Currently leading the J20 Top 10 division in scoring, very impressive considering his age. Strong skating playmaking winger who can also score goals, loved his play at TV Pucken a year ago where he was very dominant. Had injury problems to start this season and missed the WU17 Hockey Challenge. I think he's the best Swedish forward prospect for next years draft, love his upside. He's probably a little bit bigger than what he's listed at. Not related to Tomas or Axel.

Simon Holmström
thanks for this thread !
would you say that some of his injurys are from playing somewhat reckless/fearless style of game ?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
thanks for this thread !
would you say that some of his injurys are from playing somewhat reckless/fearless style of game ?

The type of hip problem he's been dealing with is common for elite athletes and is probably caused by repetitive movements of the hip joint, squats etc. There is also a genetic component. Holmström is not really a reckless player, I'd like to see him be more aggressive actually.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
No, Holmström plays with power, speed and puck protection. I don't see any similarities there.
I'd argue his main attributes are puck control/protection, creativity and vision. He's a good skater but it's not like he's blowing past guys and I don't really see the power element. At least we agree on him being a good player :)

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Thanks for the input from those of you who've actually watched the kid play! Judging from what I read, he is not projected to be a big scorer but more of a playmaking winger type then? And it's only really the injury problems that are concerning, not talent?

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I really like this pick too, the more I watch him the more I like him. Such a good player all over the ice. Fantastic overall skater, size, good hands, feels the game well, knows how to protect the puck and buy time, has a good shot and plays at a high pace. Isles found a player

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I get the impression that he’s underrated.

From what I’ve seen from clips and development camp, he could be a skilled top 6’er. He has sneaky speed. Though he looked tentative at times, he was aggressive on the forecheck, adept at winning board battles against older opponents. He has slick hands and IQ. Had a few points.

Satisfied w this pick. I’m excited now after seeing him play.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I get the impression that he’s underrated.

From what I’ve seen from clips and development camp, he could be a skilled top 6’er. He has sneaky speed. Though he looked tentative at times, he was aggressive on the forecheck, adept at winning board battles against older opponents. He has slick hands and IQ. Had a few points.

Satisfied w this pick. I’m excited now after seeing him play.

We'll see how things play out, but my main gripe about him is how much he looks like Draco Malfoy. :sarcasm:

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad