RW Simon Holmström - HV71 J20, SuperElit (2019, 23rd, NYI)

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I'm honestly shocked by how bad the pre draft rankings of the Swedish players have been this year in general. On this player in particular. People seriously had him as a late 2nd rounder with Grewe and Höglander ahead. Not to mention the CSS (terrible per usual). Personally saw this coming miles away, Björnfot as well. Then you hear Button calling Holmström a pure goal scorer :huh:
People on these board were down on all swedes picked in the 1st round.

Broberg at 8 = oiler fans Disappointed
Soderstrom at 11 = fans were who?
Björnfot at 22 = kings fans confused
Holmström at 23 = Islanders fans at rage

I dont understand why.

Reactions: Ebbisen

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm honestly shocked by how bad the pre draft rankings of the Swedish players have been this year in general. On this player in particular. People seriously had him as a late 2nd rounder with Grewe and Höglander ahead. Not to mention the CSS (terrible per usual). Personally saw this coming miles away, Björnfot as well. Then you hear Button calling Holmström a pure goal scorer :huh:

People are also calling Söderström a defensive shutdown defenseman which is far from the truth.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
People on these board were down on all swedes picked in the 1st round.

Broberg at 8 = oiler fans Disappointed
Soderstrom at 11 = fans were who?
Björnfot at 22 = kings fans confused
Holmström at 23 = Islanders fans at rage

I dont understand why.
Holmström can't stay healthy. All the talent in the world doesnt matter if you live in the trainers room.

One of the best abilities is availability.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
What can anyone tell me about this kid? Please keep the nonsense to another thread, I just want to hear about the player.
He is a great skater, has a good shot, is skilled with good hands, sees the ice well and works hard. He was probably the most hyped Swedish prospect heading into this year ahead of Söderström, Broberg and Björnfot but injuries destroyed his draft stock, he was underwhelming in the beginning of the year just after the injuries but really got going towards the end and was one of the most important contributors to the U18 gold medal.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
A lot of controversy surrounding this pick. Before injuries Holmstrom was a top 15 pick. Supposively Lou preferred Holmstrom over Hughes. Would have taken Simon first OA. Shades of Brian Burke.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
A lot of controversy surrounding this pick. Before injuries Holmstrom was a top 15 pick. Supposively Lou preferred Holmstrom over Hughes. Would have taken Simon first OA. Shades of Brian Burke.

Come on man. If you're going to come in here and drop a bomb like this unsubstantiated, you're just trolling. Your shenanigans on HF Isles is tiring.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for all the info.

Should be interesting to see where he plays next season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There are too many weekend QB scouts around here that base everything off of statistics and Bob McKenzie rankings. By all accounts this seems like a kid that was picked around the right time because of injury, but has maybe more potential upside than some of the other consensus picks.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Come on man. If you're going to come in here and drop a bomb like this unsubstantiated, you're just trolling. Your shenanigans on HF Isles is tiring.
Maybe you should lighten up and take a joke. I have plenty of problems with the posts you make on the Isles boards. And what's really tiring to me is when people insult JT and Snow constantly. See so you aren't the only person who deals with other posters shenanigans

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
There are too many weekend QB scouts around here that base everything off of statistics and Bob McKenzie rankings. By all accounts this seems like a kid that was picked around the right time because of injury, but has maybe more potential upside than some of the other consensus picks.

I am still skeptical of the pick but you make a good point, the last guy we took who fell due to injury won the Calder. When Snow stuck to the board and picked the consensus guys we wound up with Ryan Strome and Mike Dal Colle.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
An intriguing pick. If it weren’t for the injuries, 23OA would be justified.

Is his style similar to Filip Forsberg, perhaps w less dangling ability?Reminds me based on the scouting reports I read.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Dehaan was injured for YEARS and look how he turned out. This guy just had a short bit of bad luck...at least they weren't all the same injury like shoulder or groin.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Think I agree with this, even though I'm still pretty salty about our center depth. I know you're not supposed to draft for need but boy we have an issue there.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad