RW Simon Holmström - HV71 J20, SuperElit (2019, 23rd, NYI)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who's rising and who's falling on the Islanders' depth chart...

The 18-year-old remains on North American soil through two rounds of cuts and, while a roster spot doesn’t seem to be in the offing for the winger, the fact he’s still here begs the question: Is he staying on this side of the Atlantic?
People around Holmstrom seem to feel that’s a strong possibility. If he’s in Bridgeport rather than the Swedish League, that’s a benefit for Lamoriello and the organization. More games and better knowledge of the Isles system — it all fits with the plans for Wahlstrom and possibly Wilde, who definitely (in Wahlstrom’s case) and likely (in Wilde’s) aren’t going anywhere but to the AHL.

Holmstrom has shown he plays with a smooth style and he’s a sneakily big kid — 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds. He should be able to handle himself in the AHL if that’s what the team and he decide.

Seems like Holmstrom starting the year in the AHL might not be out of the question

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think he should play in AHL.

He already has NHL size and speed. He gets involved in physical play.

I don’t think he is that far from the NHL actually...maybe 1 year in AHL is all he needs.

My issue with him in the AHL though is his injury history. Basically more likely he gets injured in a league with bigger and faster bodies then some other league. Ignoring that it doesn't hurt putting him in the AHL at least for a 10 game tryout and then determine where to go from there

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
My issue with him in the AHL though is his injury history. Basically more likely he gets injured in a league with bigger and faster bodies then some other league. Ignoring that it doesn't hurt putting him in the AHL at least for a 10 game tryout and then determine where to go from there

Most of his injuries have just come from freak accidents. I also don't think the average AHL player is bigger or faster than the average SHL player.

The AHL is maybe not a bad option for him. Looks like he would only get very small role with HV71.

Reactions: felixpettersson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like a bad idea to me. Better to keep a youngster developing at home, unless he is super mature. The SHL is a good league, and won't hinder development...I can even argue that it will help, more than him being targeted by bitter 28 yo's in the AHL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Eh, I would have liked him to develop another year in the SHL.

This was not a decision between sending him to the SHL or AHL. I can pretty much guarantee that he would spend a majority of his icetime in J20 if he was sent back to HV71. Zion Nybeck is tearing up J20 for the second straight year there and they don't seem to have any interest in bringing him up to the mens team.

Reactions: felixpettersson

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
This was not a decision between sending him to the SHL or AHL. I can pretty much guarantee that he would spend a majority of his icetime in J20 if he was sent back to HV71. Zion Nybeck is tearing up J20 for the second straight year there and they don't seem to have any interest in bringing him up to the mens team.

Who was the last decent NHL player to come out of HV?

Edit: Erik Brännström I guess?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Who was the last decent NHL player to come out of HV?

Fiala probably. Lias Andersson, Erik Brännström and David Gustafsson are upcoming guys. I think their junior system is excellent, maybe the best in Sweden, but they've had some good players the last couple of years who never got the chance to crack their SHL roster.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Kid will be just fine. Yes it will take him time to adjust to the AHL. But he already has NHL size and skating ability. Skill is there too...by end of season he will be producing more consistently

Reactions: SI90

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don’t think the Isles FO will put a whole lot of stock in Holmstrom’s numbers this year. I’d imagine it’s more about getting comfortable living in the States, learning the NA game, and getting some more experience against grown men(including some former and soon-to-be NHLers).

Plus BST isn’t exactly the most talented team in the world, especially now with a handful of the roster in the NHL. Having JHS around would certainly help though...

Reactions: PROMputt

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Holmstrom has been assigned to Vita Hasten of the Allsvenskan. He joins the many SHL level players assigned to Allsvenskan from NHL clubs so they can easily be brought back if there is an NHL/AHL season

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Looked pretty good at the U20 exhibition game yesterday. Will be a very important player for the WJC tournament.

Playing in Allsvenskan, especially this season, should be a no-brainer for all Swedish prospects who can.

Reactions: Islesfan22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->