RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Shocking camp....worst i've ever seen of him outside of a few stretches last year where his confidence was shot. Was literally getting rid of the puck as soon as he got it and looked unsure and timid when he didn't have it.

Gonna have to rebuild himself. It happens to players but i dont remember it this bad from a confidence standpoint for someone who is in shape, works hard and is strong like a bull and can skate.

Clearly he put the world on his shoulders this summer as Tocchet had already told him to back off a bit with the training had a kid and needs to bring it back to basics mentally take a breath and just play the game

Certainly still time and not the first time a player came into camp stiff and got off on the wrong foot but this is his last year of waiver eligibility and has blown the 10OA top6 expectations to pieces. Hoping to get a Barbashev at this point.

Reactions: David71

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Shocking camp....worst i've ever seen of him outside of a few stretches last year where his confidence was shot. Was literally getting rid of the puck as soon as he got it and looked unsure and timid when he didn't have it.

Gonna have to rebuild himself. It happens to players but i dont remember it this bad from a confidence standpoint for someone who is in shape, works hard and is strong like a bull and can skate.

Clearly he put the world on his shoulders this summer as Tocchet had already told him to back off a bit with the training had a kid and needs to bring it back to basics mentally take a breath and just play the game

Certainly still time and not the first time a player came into camp stiff and got off on the wrong foot but this is his last year of waiver eligibility and has blown the 10OA top6 expectations to pieces. Hoping to get a Barbashev at this point.
I'd be hoping to get a bottom 6 energy winger at this point nevermind a Barbashev.

Absolutely astonished at how awful he was in camp

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
A mans frame, and physical ability at 16. Hence the early success in checking roles in RUS. Nothing else really developed to match.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I've never seen a player so afraid to make mistakes. It was his problem on SKA and now Vancouver.

The irony is his game is entirely predicated on aggressiveness and assertiveness. When he plays loose and with confidence he can be a valuable player. But when he plays tenatively he nullifies any value he has.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Like Rubtsov and Denisenko, another Russian who didn't put up elite MHL numbers and was still overvalued, drafted higher due to (international tournaments) pedigree. Podkolzin needed to dominate the KHL or the A before being thrown into the NHL full time. Not sure if he makes it back full time in a high impact role for Vancouver.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Like Rubtsov and Denisenko, another Russian who didn't put up elite MHL numbers and was still overvalued, drafted higher due to (international tournaments) pedigree. Podkolzin needed to dominate the KHL or the A before being thrown into the NHL full time. Not sure if he makes it back full time in a high impact role for Vancouver.
After the draft, he played 2 more years with SKA, which really hurt his development. That is not a team that is focused developing NHL players, they are competing for a championship in the KHL. Staying in Russia really hurt him.
He should have played in the AHL when he came over to NA, but was rushed to the NHL. Really he went three years that he didn't get a whole lot better.

I really like his game in abbotsford right now, he is playing with an edge and some confidence. I think the org likes the way he is trending and will keep him in the A for the rest of the year. Most likley he make the team out of camp next year. I don't imagine he is fun to line up against.

Going into his draft year Podkolzin was looked as high as 2 or 3 in the draft and went 10. I'm not sure he ever warrants that, but he should have a solid middle 6 career.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
After the draft, he played 2 more years with SKA, which really hurt his development. That is not a team that is focused developing NHL players, they are competing for a championship in the KHL. Staying in Russia really hurt him.
He should have played in the AHL when he came over to NA, but was rushed to the NHL. Really he went three years that he didn't get a whole lot better.

I really like his game in abbotsford right now, he is playing with an edge and some confidence. I think the org likes the way he is trending and will keep him in the A for the rest of the year. Most likley he make the team out of camp next year. I don't imagine he is fun to line up against.

Going into his draft year Podkolzin was looked as high as 2 or 3 in the draft and went 10. I'm not sure he ever warrants that, but he should have a solid middle 6 career.
He essentially had an elite Hlinka Gretzky, had a bunch of "North American game" intangibles that scouts loved, and then had a meh DY.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I've watched about 10 Abbotsford games this year and he's definitely improved his positioning and looks more assertive out there. That said, I think anyone looking for him to be the elusive top-6 25+ goal scoring forechecker with size he was supposed to be are going to be disappointed. I'd bet good money he sticks in the NHL at some point, but as more of a 30 ish point bottom six guy who can play up the lineup for short periods of time. A valuable player to have, but not even close to what you'd want from a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agreed, he has never really flashed all that much of a very high upside but was physically mature, able to rise up quickly and had the "SKA pedigree", but looks like he will just be a grinder if he stays in North America. Outside of Hlinka-Gretzky, he was never really a superstar for Russia junior international teams either. Look at the 2019 IIHF U18 tournament a couple months before the draft, he had a good Gold Medal Game in the losing effort but only had 4 points in 7 games all tournament for a kid wearing the 'C', that's pretty pedestrian on a team that didn't struggle to light it up a bit on the lesser competition previously. I don't think it's a "stayed in Russia" issue, he came to North America at age 20, I don't think playing in the CHL at age 18 or 19 would have been a make or break.

Sometimes guys with that profile type just need to get to a point where they are at or close to the average age to play their game comfortably and don't do so as well as a younger player, so if he sticks around, he can potentially still be a pretty solid middle six type player in a few years. Not sure his plans/frustration level at the moment.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Agreed, he has never really flashed all that much of a very high upside and looks like he will just be a grinder if he stays in North America. Outside of Hlinka-Gretzky, he was never really a superstar for Russia junior international teams either. I don't think it's a "stayed in Russia" issue, he came to North America at age 20, I don't think playing in the CHL at age 18 or 19 would have been a make or break.
I just think playing 6 mins every few games for SKA hurt him. Getting to be a bigger fish in the CHL may have been a better path.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It sounds like he is learning to play the right way in the AHL with the proper intangibles now. Much like how Abbotsford developed Hoglander last year.

There is unlikely to be an NHL call-up this year unless the Canucks suffer 2-3 forward injuries. He may have an NHL spot to compete for next year with Lafferty and Joshua likely priced out as bottom-six UFA wingers.

That being said—his next pro North American contract offer will probably be near league minimum. I am curious to see if he stays in North America after this season or if he chases more money in the KHL.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I just think playing 6 mins every few games for SKA hurt him. Getting to be a bigger fish in the CHL may have been a better path.
It looks like he played 75 games across levels and international the season after being drafted. That is plenty of hockey, and he was certainly a big fish on the U20 team (they don't only play in the world juniors, there is a more regular cycle there).

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
After last post, 3 games with 0+0, he does get shots on goal though.
His s% was 12.5 last season in the AHL, this season its been at 8.5.

10 goals, 10 assists in 30 games,
7 goals, 18 points in 28 games last season.

So the exact same ppg what last season, more sog, lower s%

I noticed that in about 60 career regular season games,
he has taken just 9 x 2 min minor penalties (3 this season) and that's it
smart player or not engaging?

Been reading that he has improved from last season, how much?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He has all the tools to develop into a Barbashev type of player.
But he hasn't scored anywhere much, where ever he has played.

Barbashev scored plenty as a junior in the Q, for 3 years, about 100 goals
and over 200 points. - 19 goals, 37 points in 46 games in his 2nd AHL season

But time will tell, lets wait and see
but personally, ATM, i don't see that happening.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I just dont think his offensive game will ever pop out in the NHL.

He could be an excellent 3rd liner who can fill in the top 6 when needed.

A 40 point guy who is big, tough to play against and can be a hound on the forecheck.

Super disappointing considering where he was picked in the draft but at the same time he plays the type of hockey that could be very useful in a 7 game series.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I just dont think his offensive game will ever pop out in the NHL.

He could be an excellent 3rd liner who can fill in the top 6 when needed.

A 40 point guy who is big, tough to play against and can be a hound on the forecheck.

Super disappointing considering where he was picked in the draft but at the same time he plays the type of hockey that could be very useful in a 7 game series.
Wasn't that what people said about Nichushkin?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad