RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He finished off pretty strong in the 21-22 season and then has basically regressed.

I had high hopes for him hopefully he gets back on track but 3rd liner looks like the role now if he ever gets there.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe I'm the weird one here, but this guy never really had a big time offensive game to begin with. I wanted to avoid him at all costs in the draft because he had bottom six written all over him. At no point has his offense ever jumped out in any meaningful way.

He essentially had an elite Hlinka Gretzky, had a bunch of "North American game" intangibles that scouts loved, and then had a meh DY.

This post sums it up perfectly.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
But he hasn't scored anywhere much, where ever he has played.

Barbashev scored plenty as a junior in the Q, for 3 years, about 100 goals
and over 200 points. - 19 goals, 37 points in 46 games in his 2nd AHL season

But time will tell, lets wait and see
but personally, ATM, i don't see that happening.

I agree that Podkolzin has never shown much offensive potential. Podkolzin's development has been sorta botched as well as he was in the NHL for 1.5 years before being sent to the AHL. Barbashev demonstrated a clear progression before making the Blues the following year.

Barbashev at

20 years old / 1st season in the AHL: 0.43 ppg
21 years old / 2nd season in the AHL: 0.8 ppg

Podkolzin

21 years old / 1st season in the AHL: 0.64 ppg
22 years old / 2nd season in the AHL: 0.65 ppg

Podkolzin has stalled although he did suffer an unfortunate injury earlier in the season. I still have hope for this player, a 35 - 40 point defensively sound, very high motor, physical bottom six player has some value. I really liked the pick at the time but passing on Boldy was (in hindsight) a big mistake.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There’s definitely NHL tools there but I never saw the offensive potential as well. I think he’ll carve out a career as a 3rd line checking forward which is still a valuable asset. Perhaps in the mold of say a Brandon Tanev, Logan O Connor or a Jordan Greenway.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Will be a great addition to the 4th line in R1/2 when the injuries to depth guys pile up.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Last 11 games, 2+1, -4 (35 shots on goal though but...)

Last season Podz scored 6 x 5 on 5 goals in 28 games
This season Podz has scored 9 x 5 on 5 goals in 43 games

23-24 season : (43 games so far)

6+5=11, on PP
9+8=17, on 5 on 5

22-23 season : (28 games)

1+3=4, on PP
6+8=14, on 5 on 5

heavy decline for 5 on 5 goals & points
shots on goal however, 2.04 sog pg-> 3.70 sog pg
- almost twice as much

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
he was called up

i guess scoring twice and adding one secondary assist in your last 11 games
is worth a call up :huh:

i guess they like his game, how he plays and believe that he will be valuable piece for them
for their 3rd/4th line
He's probably getting called up because he's the highest end prospect we have that can be moved. Reports from people who watch Abby games are basically that he's doing everything all over the ice, but that turns into no points...perhaps that changes at the NHL level with better teammates, but even just showing that ability probably entices other teams to take him as a bottom six option with potential.

Reactions: wetcoast

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's probably getting called up because he's the highest end prospect we have that can be moved. Reports from people who watch Abby games are basically that he's doing everything all over the ice, but that turns into no points...perhaps that changes at the NHL level with better teammates, but even just showing that ability probably entices other teams to take him as a bottom six option with potential.
Okay, thank you.

But, isn't this kinda foolish to think? can't score at AHL level, but can score at NHL
because plays with better players and how how much better? if he plays 3rd and 4th
lines again without PP/PK time (8-12 minutes a game)

But how much he holds value though? he was 2019th 10 overall pick
that doesn't carry that long, its 2024 now.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
All the doubters about to eat crow.
He's not getting sent down.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Okay, thank you.

But, isn't this kinda foolish to think? can't score at AHL level, but can score at NHL
because plays with better players and how how much better? if he plays 3rd and 4th

He produced well in the top six in albeit a small sample size.
He's got all the intangibles and he likely gets a chance with one of our 3 top 6 centres. People said the same shit about Hogz, people assume that it's easier to put up points in the AHL but that's not really the case.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Okay, thank you.

It's weird, I would usually agree with you but last year Nils Hoglander was sent down to the AHL and posted 14-18-32 in 45 games, which is pretty close to Podz's 15-13-28 in 44 games. I thought Hoglander was cooked, but this year it's night and day: he's an incredible player along the boards at even strength and already had nifty hands to be able to stickhandle out of tight spots... and his one negative is that he's bad on the PP, which explains why his production in the AHL wasn't great.

So yeah, I've started to re-think simply looking at production stats in terms of prospect evaluation, and there's definitely a path for Podz to a steady NHL role. It's almost the opposite effect of players like Matthew Phillips and Jason Krog - incredible AHL producers, but don't cut it at the NHL level because they're not good enough 5v5.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
didnt pods last year lost confidence in his play hence hes in abbotsford working on his game like nils hoglander did? work on his defensive side of the end and the offense will continue. his small sample size when he was aligned with miller or petey was good. used his speed and frame to bull his way through nhl defenders.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He has played all together 320 pro games already (about 125 points)
in 2 different countries, 4 different leagues, without much of progress in production.

320 games is a lot. At least that's what i think.
Yes, all players develop differently, some quicker, some slower.

But if you already have that many games under your belt
the odds are not great.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I haven't watched him play at all for years. But before he was drafted, I saw him as a low-IQ, high-effort player who kept making puzzling decisions. A lot of skill, but little impact. I guess it's been 5 years already, so I can't remember too much about what I thought. But the impression was that he essentially had no idea where he should be on the ice.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He has played all together 320 pro games already (about 125 points)
in 2 different countries, 4 different leagues, without much of progress in production.

320 games is a lot. At least that's what i think.
Yes, all players develop differently, some quicker, some slower.

But if you already have that many games under your belt
the odds are not great.
Sure if you only watch stats, if you watch the player he can be an HL bottom 6 guy quite easily.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So, my first period notes on Podkolzin.
(i muted my TV and focused fully on Podz)

Passing 3/3 (2 o-zone, 1 d-zone), great pass to Garland, Garland missed his onetimer
His skating still looks awkward AF, compared to other players on the ice
2 lost puck possessions
2 won puck battles
2 times pressured the puck carrier
1 shot attempt, missed the net

to the 2nd period

2nd period.

Passing 2/5 (4 o-zone, 1 d zone)
Nice challenge with the puck from n zone to o zone
Got some time on PP
At NHL.com it says no hits, he indeed recorded 1 hit (on Zellweger, d-zone)
3 times pressured the puck carrier
2 lost puck battles
1 time back checked
1 lost puck possession (though, penalty for ducks should have been given)
1 won puck battle

next is the 3rd period

3rd period

4/5 passing (5 o-zone)
Nice pass to Hughes, his shot got blocked
4 times pressured the puck carrier
2 times back checked
2 won puck battles
1 lost puck battle

To sum up; 1 great play, 2 or 3 nice plays
other than that, very average, nothing special,
nothing what your regular 3rd 4th liners can't do.

He needs to improve his game a lot.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I thought he looked far more comfortable than the last time he was up here, which is great progress, and a good sign for how the program is going in Abbotsford. He'll have to go through waivers next year, so this season is his last opportunity of pure development. Next year he will have to contribute at the very least as a 13th forward, or he will find himself on waivers, same situation as Hoglander this season. I think they are going to give him a handful of games here for evaluation and then send him back down to further work on things. Same thing they did with Bains. Raty could follow. Of course, if any of these guys prove themselves essential I think they will stick, but I don't think that was ever the expectation with the call-up. If it doesn't hurt the team to send them down, they are best served using up the last of their waiver exemption on the farm playing heavy minutes. (Bains & Raty have another full year of exemption)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Arkstrom Scorpio

Mar 4, 2024
I see the raw talent that exists in the body of Pod. Maybe a change of scenery would benefit all parties. I had high hopes for this kid back in the days, but obviously he's been struggling for a while now. 320 pro games, that's not a small sample size. Would love to see him in orange one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad