RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Finally his production is catching up with the eye test. He’s played really well in both ends for a while now but the production hasn’t shown it. The last few weeks he’s starting to see the production and you can see the confidence is growing.
A lot of credit to Boudreau here who has been a big supporter and increased his role putting him in the top six and on the second PP. I don’t think he would have gotten the same treatment with Travis Green as coach.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont know if he'll get to the point where he pushes offense enough to be a top30 scorer but his development is now starting to show that he is far more than a 20-20 guy some had suggested.

The shot was considered a weakness....teammates are saying it's the hardest and his accuracy is proving to be excellent. Release is also that of a top scorer.

Skating is power personified. He drives through and around players and when he is able to get beyond the side of defenseman on the rush he can drive the net and is incredibly tough to stop at 20yrs old

Passing and playmaking is progressing nicely. At times he rushes plays and chooses to push pucks to safe areas and early on made numerous bad passes but lately this is his greatest progression as he's seeing the ice and a growing confidence is allowing him to hold on longer and make really good passes throughout all 3 zones

The greatest aspect of Podkolzin besides the obvious talent is he's a 3 zone beast that almost always comes away with the puck and is extremely hard to get it from. Very much the type you put on in key moments of games and is built for playoff hockey. At 20 were scratching the surface here but it's exciting to see the progressions as his ice time increases.

Don't want to put the cart before the horse here but the offensive concerns for me are gone watching how he's coming along and now it's just a matter of how high and how much of a impact player he becomes. He kinda reminds me of Marian Hossa in that he's not a huge guy but is ridiculously powerful and even though he's a winger is a tremendous defensive player and relentless puck hound. Definitely see 60-65 pts in his future if he gets PP1 duties.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Sticks up for his teammates too which is in short supply for the Nucks these past years. This is the type of guy built for the playoffs, if they ever make it there.

Reactions: Deezone

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Speaking of Höglander and Podkolzin, Höglander's advanced stats are significantly better than Podkolzin's. Podkolzin has higher PDO, though. In terms of xGF% for example, Podkolzin is at 47.61% while Höglander is at 51.63%, but the actual GF%s are 57.63% and 48.00%. Höglander is much better at CF% as well, with 53.32% vs 49.32%.

Mostly it's coming down to on-ice scoring %s, which for Höglander is 5.85% while for Podkolzin it's 8.00%.

As such, the stats don't really agree.
Hoglander has spent a lot more time with quality top6 line-mates while Podkolzin has mostly been tasked to not get scored on with bottom6 plugs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
8pts in his last 5 games, strange we don't get a @GeorgeLeafer12 bump for production that notable?

Kid has finally been put in the top 6 and is absolutely thriving on a line with Miller. He isn't even just a passenger either, he's first in on the puck, and creating legit chances for his linemates.

Fun player to watch.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He literally does everything, I can’t wait to see how good he’s going to be in like four years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Okay let's relax a bit here, I love Pods but takes like this just makes the fanbase look bad FFS.
Ok I will relax if it keeps the fanbases visual approval at a high level

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
@GeorgeLeafer12 no game updates now that Podkolzin has 8 points in 5 games? Theres 3 things in life that are certain, death, taxes, and @GeorgeLeafer12 pushing his obvious agenda against Podkolzin

He won't respond. If Podkolzin goes on a cold stretch next season I'm sure he'll make some sort of weird thread about how he's not an NHL caliber player on the main boards however.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He won't respond. If Podkolzin goes on a cold stretch next season I'm sure he'll make some sort of weird thread about how he's not an NHL caliber player on the main boards however.
its still fun to poke the troll hiding under his bridge while he bides his time to come back out from under

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I remember Nail Yakupov having a strong end of the rookie season...

Not that it compares, but its too early to be smart asses...just saying.

Posters calling you out for posting garbage are not being “smart asses.” They are correcting your erroneous views. Try to learn something instead of continuing to bury your head in the sand while wearing horse blinders. Just saying.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I remember Nail Yakupov having a strong end of the rookie season...

Not that it compares, but its too early to be smart asses...just saying.

Wait, you realize the only reason people are mentioning you is because you made a thread on the main boards months ago saying he wasn't ready. If anyone was "too early" in their assessment, it's you.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00