RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Just remember GeorgeLeafer was also saying Pettersson wasn't a good prospect either.

He has has an unhealthy obsession with Canucks not succeeding.

I also remember him saying some defenceman from thr KHL that leafs signed will be a top 2 defenceman which he is now AHL fodder

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Just remember GeorgeLeafer was also saying Pettersson wasn't a good prospect either.

He has has an unhealthy obsession with Canucks not succeeding.

I also remember him saying some defenceman from thr KHL that leafs signed will be a top 2 defenceman which he is now AHL fodder
Delete.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Georgeleafer is not the only one that doubted VPod's designation as a top level prospect. there are some respectable posters that also seem to be rooting against him, but he is definitely the one that doggedly obssesses over his stats. I am sure his play will speak for himself, there is no way his approach to the game won't pay off for him. 60 points is very achieveable in his future, but his value is everywhere on the ice, at 20 years old, he is just scratching his surface. What a fun prospect to watch, looking at the 2019 draft he may just prove one day that he was justified to be slotted in third afterall.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Georgeleafer is not the only one that doubted VPod's designation as a top level prospect. there are some respectable posters that also seem to be rooting against him, but he is definitely the one that doggedly obssesses over his stats. I am sure his play will speak for himself, there is no way his approach to the game won't pay off for him. 60 points is very achieveable in his future, but his value is everywhere on the ice, at 20 years old, he is just scratching his surface. What a fun prospect to watch, looking at the 2019 draft he may just prove one day that he was justified to be slotted in third afterall.
Yep. Everyone makes their predictions. Some who are good at it still make big errors, and those who are bad at it (myself) occasionally are right. I think the key is to recognize when you were wrong and move forward with it. Its a frickin online hockey forum of hockey nerds ffs, who could care if your 'rep' is discredited by us other hockey nerds

I mean, unless you just dont like a player or prospect and continuously look for any sign that hes failing lol (to be clear Raisti Im saying 'you' in the 'you in general' sense not 'you' ;)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As I recall, Podkolzin was consistently ranked in the top-three of the 2019 draft for most of the season. But inexplicably fell on draft day.

It was the 'Russian factor', because he had already committed to SKA St. Petersburg for two seasons, and nobody was too sure whether he'd sign there for the long-term.

The challenge is that some young players can make a lot more money playing in the KHL and than on their entry level contracts in the NHL. So NHL teams drafting in the top-10 were only being 'risk-averse'.

But there's no denying this kid's talent and desire. He's already a force out there at only 20 years old.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The great thing about Podkolzin you don't watch him just to see if he puts up points, I have never seen someone so relentless on the forecheck. It's more fun watching him smother the players he checking.
yeah even without talking about ceilings and basements. I think if he becomes what Nichushkin is to the Avs, canucks will be quite happy. In the latter part of this year, I believe Pod has shown more than just being a high end possession player though, players that play the power forward game from non english countries tend to peak a lot later, as you can see finally with Nichushkin's offense this year.

The assertiveness with the puck on his stick that we are seeing now with Miller and Garland/Chiasson is something that simply wasnt there before, even when Marchenko was playing higher in the line up. Even when it was just him and Morozov, he was more deferential to him to drive play, him being more of a disruptor, no surprise though being deployed 10 mins a night that there is no time to expand his repertoire. I forgot which game, but that behind the back assist to Horvat was just a glimpse of his developing vision along with all the other intangibles.

BB needs to simply feed him minutes, with his dependable game, its a low risk high reward tactic, then its up to him to develop confidence and consistency to justify the coach's decision.

Reactions: Deezone
Oct 18, 2006
As I recall, Podkolzin was consistently ranked in the top-three of the 2019 draft for most of the season. But inexplicably fell on draft day.

It was the 'Russian factor', because he had already committed to SKA St. Petersburg for two seasons, and nobody was too sure whether he'd sign there for the long-term.

The challenge is that some young players can make a lot more money playing in the KHL and than on their entry level contracts in the NHL. So NHL teams drafting in the top-10 were only being 'risk-averse'.

But there's no denying this kid's talent and desire. He's already a force out there at only 20 years old.
Top 3? I think we was top 6 at best.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
At the end of the HG 2018 where he had excelled, Podkolzin was ranked 3rd. It has long remained 3rd in the rankings. But as he was not very successful in club, he gradually injured. Consequently, it went down but it still remained 3rd in the non-updated lists.

He was selected at about the level most expected (between 10 and 15).

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He has lots of hockey left this season even if Canucks dont make the playoffs.

He was papered down earlier this season and is eligible to play in the AHL once the Canucks season is over.

The Canucks farm team the Abbotsford Canucks have been on fire as well the last 2 months and is in line to host the 1st round of the playoffs.

maybe world championships after?

Reactions: kp61c

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Top 3? I think we was top 6 at best.
Are you talking rankings? Like pre-draft rankings? Unless my memory severely fails me, I remember him being ranked not only 3rd, but in the top-2 to start the year. And for a good while after.

Once a player has started his NHL career, pre-draft rankings are little more than old fortune cookie slips. But I remember those rankings.

Reactions: Nucks4Life

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
yeah even without talking about ceilings and basements. I think if he becomes what Nichushkin is to the Avs, canucks will be quite happy. In the latter part of this year, I believe Pod has shown more than just being a high end possession player though, players that play the power forward game from non english countries tend to peak a lot later, as you can see finally with Nichushkin's offense this year.

The assertiveness with the puck on his stick that we are seeing now with Miller and Garland/Chiasson is something that simply wasnt there before, even when Marchenko was playing higher in the line up. Even when it was just him and Morozov, he was more deferential to him to drive play, him being more of a disruptor, no surprise though being deployed 10 mins a night that there is no time to expand his repertoire. I forgot which game, but that behind the back assist to Horvat was just a glimpse of his developing vision along with all the other intangibles.

BB needs to simply feed him minutes, with his dependable game, its a low risk high reward tactic, then its up to him to develop confidence and consistency to justify the coach's decision.
He's got much more in him than Nikushkin.

I think (thankfully) Canuck's fans didn't over hype him because he wasn't tearing up the KHL. But people forget he was getting 3-5 mins a night being sent up and down. And eventually, when put in a top 6 role, began to thrive against men, and in the playoffs was exceptional (When it really matters).

Larionov, his agent, compared him to Messier (as much as Canucks fans hate him) that's not a comparison I am sure one of the greatest ever would make, after playing against Mess many times. I think we can all see what he meant now.

He has a complete tool box. He can skate, he's relentless on the puck, he's hard on the wall, he has great awareness and makes great passes, and as we've seen with his shot, he can snipe (and its the hardest on the team according to Bo/Miller).

What we have seen is him brought along slowly, much like Bo was in his first year. Ensure he took care of his own end, then progress up the lineup when he showed he could. Once he was solidly in a top 6 role, we have seen his offensive prowess and confidence take over.

We can see he is and will be a play driver and that's key. Alot of people in vancouver (including the guys on 650) keep saying he's a 40 to 50 pt player top end. You don't put a cap on players with his skill and drive. Hell Jake was on pace for 40 pts, sorry but Podz is light years ahead of Jake in terms of everything.

This kid will hit 90 pts like Miller has, and is going to be a big part of any cup chances we ever have.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
update on Podkolzin statistics

18 games in the AHL this season :

1 x 5 on 5 goal
1 x Power Play goal
1 x Empty Net goal
------------------
3 goals

4 x secondary assists (2 x pp, 2 x 5 on 5 )
3 x primary assists (2 x 5 on 5, 1 x pp)
2 x Empty Net assists
----------------------
9 assists

+6
0.66 ppg
33 shots on goal (1.83 spg)
9.1 s%
8 pim

-------------------------

23rd in the AHL rookie ppg with 0.66
57th in the AHL rookie scoring with 12 points

--------------------------

his analytic, advanced stats however show that he is playing really well,
his team is winning lots of games as well (8-2 in their last 10), Abbotsford Canucks
have the 5th best PCT (.676) in the AHL, while 7th most goals for (123),
9th fewest goals against (101).

---------------------------------

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
254 pro games so far (NHL, KHL, VHL, AHL)
(turns 22 in 4 months or so)

37 goals
55 assists
92 points
+37

0.36 points per game
52 penalty minutes

Has 1 year left from his ELC

Time will tell, some develop slower what others.
break out in his last ELC year? hit the big pucks
and go forward as a player :dunno:

maybe the goals points will eventually come

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad