RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 5

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's an excellent player. Brings more to the table in a men's league than any other Canuck forward. The checking ability of this player comes from his elite skating and agility. Not to mention he's physically the biggest forward on Vancouver's roster.

I see sort of a Patrick Marleau player here.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's an excellent player. Brings more to the table in a men's league than any other Canuck forward. The checking ability of this player comes from his elite skating and agility. Not to mention he's physically the biggest forward on Vancouver's roster.

I see sort of a Patrick Marleau player here.

Not this again lol he's not 6'4 203 like eliteprospects says. He's 6'1 190-205

Reactions: Hansen and ponder

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
The type of player who really becomes available via trade because they are so hard to find and develope into top 6 players. Im very excited to see what Podz will do for the rest of the season and he seems like a younger Timo Meier to me

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He does all little things so well, and never takes a shift off, its as if he's played a couple of years on mens hockey.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Good anticipation and underrated checking ability. Very dangerous around the net.
Definitely plays the right way. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
Gonna go through hot and cold streaks for a while but eventually put it together and explode.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Great young player glad we have him.

Can see him topping out as a 50-60 pt guy that is strong on the puck and down low and makes every line he’s on better. Like a stronger stockier Hyman?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Hes been projected to be a Landeskog lite since D+1, so far hes fulfilling everything that the coaching staff has asked of him. student of the game, defensively responsible, very active stick, very good in neutral zone, backchecks and actually we are finding out lately, that he has a devastating shot that he unleashes around the dots. only drawback right now is structure play in the offensive zone. He is captain of team Russia material down the road, without a doubt he is a top 6 player on a championship team caliber guy. He has replaced Boeser in the core5 in Vancouver. Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Podkolzin and Horvat... in that order in my opinion.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Podkolzin has been very good so far in a very tumultuous year so far. I expect that Boudreau will have him in a more consistent role, with more consistent linemates than he has had so far. I'd like to see him get a shot on the PK as well. I don't think Pods will ever be a massive producer, but he is an excellent complimentary player.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He's made for the playoffs. He can be hit or miss during regular season, especially offensively; but his style of game is money come playoff time. It was like this in the KHL. I expect the same in NHL.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
"Part 5" for a 10th overall pick

why does this guy illicit this much discussion?

Theres been a few very vocal people from other fanbases who have consistently had very harsh criticisms of him since the moment he was drafted

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

lawrence

May 19, 2012
got to play on Pettersson line in an offensive role (Previously they were on the same line but bottom line role) , played in all situations and 16m minutes of ice time.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
"Part 5" for a 10th overall pick

why does this guy illicit this much discussion?
Because the Vancouver media incited a huge flame with conspiracy theories while he was playing in Russia and instigated the fanbase to bite and patricipate in a crusade against windmills.

Feb 20, 2013
I expected Podkolzin to be good based on his play-driving stats (some of his KHL xG% from small samples of games tracked put it in the high 60s) and playoff scoring stats (he is first all-time among U20 players in KHL playoff scoring with 14 points in 20 games), but I did not expect him to look so good so soon in the NHL.

The straight line skating, defensive awareness, powerful shot and ability to win puck battles were known traits, but he has been surprisingly agile, is a much better stickhandler than anticipated and has better poise on the puck and vision than expected.

He has looked at times like the Canucks' best forward and has earned a lengthy look in the top 6, if not the top line. The points aren't really there yet, which has always been the knock on him, but it honestly won't matter how many he puts up if he become the dominant puck-possession player that he is beginning to look like.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'm still dumbfounded how under utilized he was with SKA. In the games I've attended, he and Demko had been the lone bright spots in the dark times before the Green firing. Hoping that with Boudreau calling the shots, he will be stapled to Pettersson and Garland and we will have another guy in the Calder conversation.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm still dumbfounded how under utilized he was with SKA. In the games I've attended, he and Demko had been the lone bright spots in the dark times before the Green firing. Hoping that with Boudreau calling the shots, he will be stapled to Pettersson and Garland and we will have another guy in the Calder conversation.
You should consider studying the concept of time. It passes. Things change. Who said he was the same player a year ago?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
You should consider studying the concept of time. It passes. Things change. Who said he was the same player a year ago?

oh for sure he wasnt the same player, just same work ethic and similar patience toward incompetent management. The skills were not as refined, but the level of competition and sophistication of linemates is also night and day compared to back home also.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
oh for sure he wasnt the same player, just same work ethic and similar patience toward incompetent management. The skills were not as refined, but the level of competition and sophistication of linemates is also night and day compared to back home also.
I admire his patience towards the incompetent Vancouver management alright. I fear though the sophistication of linemates might have suffered compare to the SKA days unless he gets to play on the top lines regularily.

Just visually he's got bigger and stronger since last year. At that age the prospect's overall game can change a lot in a year to say the least. The same happens to players playing in the NA minors and NHL all the time. One year the guy is barely making the team, the next he is a regular. But let's seek for a grand conspiracy here.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad