RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Bob McKenzie polls 10 NHL scouts. There are a lot more than that in the NHL so that's not necessarily representative. Either way if the scouts in Ottawa likes Raymond more then it doesn't matter. Also, if we're talking Bobby's list, two out of the 10 scouts he polled had Byfield outside the top3, which means someone else was in their top3. That player could be Raymond, or it could be someone else, but it shows you that it's not a foregone conclusion that the top3 will be Lafreniere, Stützle and Byfield.
In Ottawa we know that we will be picking one of lafreniere, stutzle or byfield. In mckenzies poll, no team had Stutzle below 3. If the kings don’t take byfield, Ottawa won’t be passing on him. Raymond just is not going to go 3. IMO he’ll go 5-7.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I think Stutzle will go 3rd ahead of Raymond, and perhaps rightly so. But I'm also pretty sure a lot of people don't really get how much better the SHL is over all compared to DEL.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Bob McKenzie polls 10 NHL scouts. There are a lot more than that in the NHL so that's not necessarily representative. Either way if the scouts in Ottawa likes Raymond more then it doesn't matter. Also, if we're talking Bobby's list, two out of the 10 scouts he polled had Byfield outside the top3, which means someone else was in their top3. That player could be Raymond, or it could be someone else, but it shows you that it's not a foregone conclusion that the top3 will be Lafreniere, Stützle and Byfield.
I don't think they take Raymond 3rd as they probably think there's a better chance that Raymond is still there at 5 than Stutzle/Byfield is.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stutzle being a potential center is huge for ottawa

if Stuztle and Raymond end up in ottawa its going to be wild

Reactions: Altimus

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I was in the Rossi train as a Devils fan but I have been swayed . Love Raymond and hope somehow he drops to 7.
Drysdale and Sanderson have to go top 6 and even still I am worried Raymond will be gone . Hopefully someone goes Askarov

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In Ottawa we know that we will be picking one of lafreniere, stutzle or byfield. In mckenzies poll, no team had Stutzle below 3. If the kings don’t take byfield, Ottawa won’t be passing on him. Raymond just is not going to go 3. IMO he’ll go 5-7.
While, I would be surprised to see Stutzle fall past 3. That exact statement could have been made in 2016 (and I'm sure was on this board) that "no chance the Blue Jackets pass on Puljujarvi, 10 out of 10 scouts have him top 3. PLD just is not going to go 3, IMO he'll go 4 or 5."

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bob McKenzie polls 10 NHL scouts. There are a lot more than that in the NHL so that's not necessarily representative. Either way if the scouts in Ottawa likes Raymond more then it doesn't matter. Also, if we're talking Bobby's list, two out of the 10 scouts he polled had Byfield outside the top3, which means someone else was in their top3. That player could be Raymond, or it could be someone else, but it shows you that it's not a foregone conclusion that the top 3 will be Lafreniere, Stützle and Byfield.
To be honest, Bob polls 10 scouts (or GM's or an AGM in charge of the draft board). His list is more than a reflection of just 10 scouts among the 300 or so employed by NHL teams, most of the people he polls, and I've heard a few names over the years (Timmins, Bernhardt, Futa, etc) are guys in charge of their teams draft boards. Bob, I think said on record on a podcast that at least 7 of the 10 scouts he polls are head scouts.

So, while I agree its not a foregone conclusion (as I pointed out in my previous post about 2016, PLD and Puljujarvi). But, his list is a fair bit more substantive than 10 scouts. It's pretty much consisted of 10 scouts in high-ranking positions who have an opinion formed from the people who work from them. Making it more a representative work of 90 or more scouts.

Reactions: Zaddy

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Bob said that the two scouts with Byfield at six each had Sanderson third behind Stützle and Lafreniere.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
There is a Frönlunda connection too. Hakan Andersson, Red Wings director of European scouting is a board member in Frölunda. Through both(Saginaw/Frölunda) of these connections, its interesting to see who Stevie picks.
Andersson hasn't been on Frölunda's board for years.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Holy recency bias in this thread. He’s not going top 3
In most cases I would agree, but I would argue in his case it was recentcy bias couple with lack of opportunity that had him outside the top 5. He’s absolutely a top 5 prospect and I think he’s definitely pushed into the tier with Stutzle/Byfield

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
In most cases I would agree, but I would argue in his case it was recentcy bias couple with lack of opportunity that had him outside the top 5. He’s absolutely a top 5 prospect and I think he’s definitely pushed into the tier with Stutzle/Byfield
I think he’s top 5. I don’t think he should be moved up based on early season action, no.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

I agree with this. The reason his play so far in the preseason and the first game is so significant is because there were so many questions because of his lack of playing time and production last year due to playing in the SHL. Even if it is a small sample size it is directly going against the knocks about him based on last year.

Reactions: majormajor

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I was in the Rossi train as a Devils fan but I have been swayed . Love Raymond and hope somehow he drops to 7.
Drysdale and Sanderson have to go top 6 and even still I am worried Raymond will be gone . Hopefully someone goes Askarov
I take Drysdale before Raymond but if Drysdale was already selected and Devils had a choice between Sanderson and Raymond that would be a very tough decision.

I would probably lean towards picking Raymond. His ceiling is much higher than Sanderson.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
It's a small sample size, so its hard to really draw conclusions from it. Lets give him some time :)

That said, if you never left the Raymond train, his play in the pre-season and past few games will make you a little more comfortable in your seat.
People love to throw around the "small sample size". Points or not Raymond has taken over the spot on the first PP from perhaps the best PP-guy in recent years in the SHL, and he has done so like a champ. I would even say that he's been pretty dominant at times. Saying that, he still has some clear weaknesses to his game (normal for his age). He still looks a bit too weak at times. But if I was scoutning him I wouldn't worry too much about that since he clearly looks stronger and all around better than last season, which to me indicates a pretty quick development in those parts of his game. Clear top 5 pick for me still.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I take Drysdale before Raymond but if Drysdale was already selected and Devils had a choice between Sanderson and Raymond that would be a very tough decision.

I would probably lean towards picking Raymond. His ceiling is much higher than Sanderson.
This is so wrong. Sanderson might have the most upside in the entire draft.

Reactions: FrankGallagher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad