RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I hope he makes the wings decision difficult. I dont think the start of this season is gonna move the needle much but watching a snipe or two like that might make teams think long and hard.

I also dont know if a goal from the perimeter on the PP is going to matter to teams much. They want to see if he can become less of a perimeter guy to go that high in the draft.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hope he makes the wings decision difficult. I dont think the start of this season is gonna move the needle much but watching a snipe or two like that might make teams think long and hard.

I also dont know if a goal from the perimeter on the PP is going to matter to teams much. They want to see if he can become less of a perimeter guy to go that high in the draft.

Certainly it’s not going to alter entire draft boards, but the one thing that I love about Raymond, and Perfetti has a lot of the same tendencies, is they have a level of calm with the puck which may not lead to the spectacular play every time, but they are able to hold as long as possible to make the right play.

As a Wings fan, I know you can watch that clip of Raymond scoring the goal and compare that to Detroit’s current powerplay and grimace at the difference. When Raymond takes the pass back and turns to the man at the point, any one of Detroit’s players is 100% making that pass to the point without as much as a second thought, and there’s probably a 25% chance the PKer swats the saucer pass out of the air and catches the defenseman flat footed as he gets a clean break in on Bernier.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
My two cents on two comments:

- The time to get his shot off: Yes he likes that sneaky patient wrister but that's a strength too. He's really good at getting it off despite little space. Also, one of the preseason goals was a wicked onetimer.

- Even strength production: He's on the 1st PP without a lot of equal strength ice time so far, so I can see the vast majority of his points coming on the PP if this continues.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

I imagine at this point, scouts feel they have a good idea what these players are about on the ice. They've probably seen them a million times, especially since they have access to video we don't. I'm thinking of Mark Edwards talking about how he's seen literally every point Perfetti had this year. Detroit no doubt has, and I'm sure that's true of Raymond, as well. I'm sure the real hard part right now is trying to nail down the voodoo psychological stuff that you think will make a winner, and things like that.

Besides, for people who liked Raymond from the start and always believed he would do well if he ever got the icetime, this performance is just kinda expected. I'm sure those people think he could have done this last year if he had gotten the chance. So, I mean, it's good that he's doing it, but it's possible this isn't getting better so much as it's getting the chance he deserves.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Which ever team gets this kid is going to have a beauty. Imo he’s right behind Lafreniere and Byfield as top forwards in this draft. I don’t know if Ottawa will take him at three, but I can definitely see them going for him at five.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Holy recency bias in this thread. He’s not going top 3

I don't know if I would call it recency bias when Raymond has been a top name for this draft for several years. Him adapting to the SHL last year didn't change my (and probably many others) opinion on him, so to see him do well now that he's a year older and has gotten stronger isn't some new or unexpected development.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know if I would call it recency bias when Raymond has been a top name for this draft for several years. Him adapting to the SHL last year didn't change my (and probably many others) opinion on him, so to see him do well now that he's a year older and has gotten stronger isn't some new or unexpected development.
No, but nhl teams won’t be changing their list based on 4 games before the draft

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure multiple nhl teams had him as a top 3 prospect already.
Based on what? The vast majority of nhl scouts that have been polled by bob McKenzie and the athletic have a clear top 3 of Lafreniere, Stutzle, and Byfield. That won’t change in draft day. LA and OTT aren’t passing on either player

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Based on what? The vast majority of nhl scouts that have been polled by bob McKenzie and the athletic have a clear top 3 of Lafreniere, Stutzle, and Byfield. That won’t change in draft day. LA and OTT aren’t passing on either player

Bob McKenzie polls 10 NHL scouts. There are a lot more than that in the NHL so that's not necessarily representative. Either way if the scouts in Ottawa likes Raymond more then it doesn't matter. Also, if we're talking Bobby's list, two out of the 10 scouts he polled had Byfield outside the top3, which means someone else was in their top3. That player could be Raymond, or it could be someone else, but it shows you that it's not a foregone conclusion that the top3 will be Lafreniere, Stützle and Byfield.

Reactions: CLW and Realgud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad