RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

KingJet*

Just like O'Rielly, drafted first overall in the OHL draft, taken 33rd overall in the NHL draft

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
They said that in 2000.

How are all those draft picks that you have this year working out for you? Part of rebuilding is drafting and drafting well. You've done neither over the last 5 years, so enjoy your next 5 years of marginal play, trust me I know, you're going in the exact same direction as we were 5 years ago.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
How are all those draft picks that you have this year working out for you? Part of rebuilding is drafting and drafting well. You've done neither over the last 5 years, so enjoy your next 5 years of marginal play, trust me I know, you're going in the exact same direction as we were 5 years ago.

lol that a leafs fan was the one saying that.

It's really interesting how similar O'Reilly's and McFarland's careers have unfolded to this point, as someone already mentioned. Both 1st overalls in the OHL draft, both played for the Jr. Canadiens, both picked 33rd overall, both put up marginal stats in the O despite more being expected of them.

I think McFarland will have a monster year in the OHL and I'd bet good money he's on Canada's WJC team.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
No one said anything about the leafs

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
I think he is just an immature teenager. When he starts playing with men, he will see he isn't all that special and will need to work hard to be successful. We'll see if his talent can grow also.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
Will be interesting to see how he responds to the new coach in Sudbury hopefully he comes back on a mission.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
lol that a leafs fan was the one saying that.

It's really interesting how similar O'Reilly's and McFarland's careers have unfolded to this point, as someone already mentioned. Both 1st overalls in the OHL draft, both played for the Jr. Canadiens, both picked 33rd overall, both put up marginal stats in the O despite more being expected of them.

I think McFarland will have a monster year in the OHL and I'd bet good money he's on Canada's WJC team.
Who said I was a leafs fan?

Anyway he will do will, he just needs to grow up.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Who said I was a leafs fan?

Anyway he will do will, he just needs to grow up.

My bad, for some reason I thought I saw a leafs avatar right when I hit reply. But McFarland, like many of the other young kids, is a little immature and in time he'll grow up and make use of his potential. I think he'll make it because it's not that he lacks the talent. We'll see what happens in Sudbury this year as it should be an interested year for him.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
McFarlands interview after he got drafted sounded great to me, now his done thinking about the draft rankings and where he would go. Some pressure might be off his shoulders, and now he can looking forward to have a monster year for the Sudbury Wolves. I think he could be a steal (ranked 6th before the season) and our head scout said their interview with McFarland was very good. He has a great shot and very good speed, might see him in the NHL in the 11-12 season?

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
I'm really happy we got this guy. I'm of the opinion that most 16-20 year olds have attitude problems at some point(god knows I was a **** at that age), and that with a little direction he can figure it out.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's a very good player and I think he will be a playoffs type guy. If you look at where he has stepped up and played his best hockey, it's been for Canada at the U18's and when the spotlight is on him.

I like the physical edge he brings and I don't mind the attitude...

Losts of skill...

GoldPuck

May 3, 2009
John McFarland, project, risk, star or bust?

I've been following prospects pretty closely for about 7 years now, McFarland's case seems different than any ive seen before. I cant get any consensus opinion on the guy. Many think he's the steal of the draft and will go on to be a PPG player in the NHL, and others think even in he AHL he wont stack up when playing a man's game.

What do you think?

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I've been following prospects pretty closely for about 7 years now, McFarland's case seems different than any ive seen before. I cant get any consensus opinion on the guy. Many think he's the steal of the draft and will go on to be a PPG player in the NHL, and others think even in he AHL he wont stack up when playing a man's game.

What do you think?

He declined in his second year in the OHL which is never a good sign.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
i believe he will be a serviceable nhl forward. someone like Stajan good all around but great in no one catogory. He will be good for a career high fo 50 points 20-30 basically but thats about it

GRIZZ

Aug 24, 2007
Leduc, AB
Well wasn't his problem putting the effort in? You know who else dropped in a draft because of a lack of motivation? Ryan Getzlaf....not saying thats true thats just the impression I've gotten. But He will probably be a tweener Top Six or Bust

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
-I wouldn't call him a risk - he's not being counted on as the savior to the franchise or anything. The Panthers took Bjugstad and Howden before him.
-I don't think he'll be a star but he'll be serviceable. Second-line potential.
-Way too early to call him a bust. Don't think he'll be one either.
-To answer the question in the poll, I'd consider him a project. He definetly has aways to go.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Project. Not a real risk given draft position. Ive seen him play a bunch of times. I believe his skill set is top line potential. But not as a centre. I see his future as a winger. Kind of like Jeff Oneill was.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Living in Sudbury I've seen him play a bunch of times. He's going to be an NHLer one day, I'm just not sure whether it'll be bottom six or top six. He has all the tools and contrary to many reviews, he's got great heart and determination from what I've seen. His game reminds me a ton of Chris Kunitz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad