RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
He looked great in camp this year. Looks like he could really be a powerful force for any team in the NHL. I've heard the same stuff about his attitude, but he seemed to leave everything on the ice, and when i met him later, he was probably the nicest guy out of the group.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Project. Not a real risk given draft position. Ive seen him play a bunch of times. I believe his skill set is top line potential. But not as a centre. I see his future as a winger. Kind of like Jeff Oneill was.

As do most, because that's the position he plays.

He's a prospect I'd love to have in the system.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
rumors were he just didnt have the drive and some commitment issues, never has the knock on him been "he has no skill". I think if he snaps out of whatever funk made him dip in the draft rankings and has a bounce back year. I know it might be a long shot, but id love to see him bounce back and play on the junior team. He's off to a decent start of the season(4 points in 5 games)

i hope he succeeds and plays as an impact player in the nhl one day

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Living in Sudbury I've seen him play a bunch of times. He's going to be an NHLer one day, I'm just not sure whether it'll be bottom six or top six. He has all the tools and contrary to many reviews, he's got great heart and determination from what I've seen. His game reminds me a ton of Chris Kunitz.

This. I don't see him as much of a risk, he might not be a star and he might be a bit of a project. But from what I've seen of him in the OHL and at Panthers rookie camp, I think he'll be a top 9 NHL forward. Despite what many people think, he's actually versatile, not bad defensively, and plays with a lot of grit. And being a prospect of a young team like Florida, I could see him earn a full time job in 1-2 years easily.

KingJet*

I can totally see the panthers trading him for like some good player

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The problem with motivation in junior is that people forget these are 17-18 year old kids we're talking about. If they don't feel interested they won't put in the effort. Or if they are good enough without putting in the effort they won't. And let's also not forget the team he plays on. Sudbury is awful. Put him with some talent and I think you'd see that production increase.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
i believe he will be a serviceable nhl forward. someone like Stajan good all around but great in no one catogory. He will be good for a career high fo 50 points 20-30 basically but thats about it

Stajan showed conseiderable improvement through each year of junior. He also has a lot more hockey sense in him than McFarland. What Stajan lacks in talent he makes up for in drive and vision. McFarland is the exact opposite. He has the talent, just not the brains to put that talent to good use.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Living in Sudbury I've seen him play a bunch of times. He's going to be an NHLer one day, I'm just not sure whether it'll be bottom six or top six. He has all the tools and contrary to many reviews, he's got great heart and determination from what I've seen. His game reminds me a ton of Chris Kunitz.

Kunitz is the exact comparison vie been saying..

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Project. Not a real risk given draft position. Ive seen him play a bunch of times. I believe his skill set is top line potential. But not as a centre. I see his future as a winger. Kind of like Jeff Oneill was.

33rd overall is no real risk?

You know how many top notch players are there at that spot in a draft?

It's still a very high pick to be using it on a "project" or a risk of any kind.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
33rd overall is no real risk?

You know how many top notch players are there at that spot in a draft?

It's still a very high pick to be using it on a "project" or a risk of any kind.

You know, except for the elite talents in the draft, most of these kids are projects to a degree. And most pose risk. Its all relative to your perception of those terms. Given the raw talent, I dont see him as risky, but as someone who needs time.

You know what is risky, picking Hickey 4th overall.

member 30781

The kid started off great last season, but after the solid start he couldnt amount to much afterwards, and when he did, it was against pretty bad teams. Against the top teams he was almost nonexistent.

Im not a fan of his, to say the least, but maybe he proves me wrong.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
You know, except for the elite talents in the draft, most of these kids are projects to a degree. And most pose risk. Its all relative to your perception of those terms. Given the raw talent, I dont see him as risky, but as someone who needs time.

You know what is risky, picking Hickey 4th overall.
True, its always a risky pick picking a guy who has shown the ability to score as a defenseman at every level hes played. Perhaps the Kings should have drafted one of the defenseman from that draft whos made an impact in the NHL.

GoldPuck

May 3, 2009
The kid started off great last season, but after the solid start he couldnt amount to much afterwards, and when he did, it was against pretty bad teams. Against the top teams he was almost nonexistent.

Im not a fan of his, to say the least, but maybe he proves me wrong.

Really? I thought he got off to a terrible start and then picked it up down the stretch? No?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure John McFarland and Beniot Pouliot are the same player.

Only difference is that MCFarland was properly drafted at #33, not at #4 like Pouliot.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
True, its always a risky pick picking a guy who has shown the ability to score as a defenseman at every level hes played. Perhaps the Kings should have drafted one of the defenseman from that draft whos made an impact in the NHL.

Perhaps they should have drafted another PLAYER. Voracek, Gagner, Sutter, Perron already making an impact. Guys who should make an impact this year: Cole, Alzner, Backlund, Eller, Couture, and maybe more. Just from the 1st round. Id rather have B Smith or Shattenkirk as well. Picking an undersized d-man that high defines risk.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Look at the previous junior first overall picks who ended up no going in the first round of the NHL draft. How many of them ended up making a big impact in the NHL? The only one I can think of is Jarret Stoll and that was only because the "new NHL" was more suitable for his game.

McFarland is destined to become a bust.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Look at the previous junior first overall picks who ended up no going in the first round of the NHL draft. How many of them ended up making a big impact in the NHL? The only one I can think of is Jarret Stoll and that was only because the "new NHL" was more suitable for his game.

McFarland is destined to become a bust.

Ryan O'Reilly, good call.

Left or Right? Or is he good at either side?

Every time I've seen him he's been on the Left side. I'm sure he can play the right side, he's got the talent (as well as a right-handed shot).

Still remember his OHL Cup Finals goal (Minor Midget, OHL draft year), he was at his usual half-board spot on the left side. Took a couple steps towards the dot, and ripped his already NHL-ready wrist shot by the opposing goalie to put the game out of reach.

The kid will be fine, he had one of the best shots in the OHL last year, IMO. Just get him out of Sudbury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad