RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
Yes, he is a legit top 10 pick for sure. Sort of reminds me of Dustin Brown in terms of style.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
So he has a very physical style? Or do you mean in terms of goal scoring? Or both?

Both. He's not afraid to lay the body, and he's pretty physical on the forecheck.

Either way, I really don't think he's as nearly as good as some people around here make him out to be. At this point, he's at the very back half of the Top 10 IMO, and I wouldn't be against putting him in the 11-15 range, either. In all likelihood, he'll probably be a Top 7 pick, but don't be surprised if a few guys drafted after him have better NHL careers. I'm just not sure how much his lack of hockey sense will hurt him at the next level.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
At this point, I don't see what all the fuss is about. There are plenty of guys outside the Top 10 that I think are better prospects than McFarland, but he'll stay high in the rankings because of his "upside."

milkshow

Jun 14, 2009
Both. He's not afraid to lay the body, and he's pretty physical on the forecheck.

Either way, I really don't think he's as nearly as good as some people around here make him out to be. At this point, he's at the very back half of the Top 10 IMO, and I wouldn't be against putting him in the 11-15 range, either. In all likelihood, he'll probably be a Top 7 pick, but don't be surprised if a few guys drafted after him have better NHL careers. I'm just not sure how much his lack of hockey sense will hurt him at the next level.

I would agree with this post. And yes, I meant to say both.

Guy Flaming

On the radio: John Mcfarland - The Pipeline Show

We will be speaking with another top 2010 prospect tonight in Sudbury forward John Mcfarland.

Feel free to submit a question to our inbox: [email protected]

You can hear the show live tonight between 9-11pm Eastern www.thepipelineshow.com

Also on the program: James vanRiemsdyk, Quinnipiac Bobcats head coach Rand Pecknold, freelance writer Nathan White (QMJHL) and Edmonton Oil Kings play-by-play voice A.J. Jakubec with a Team Canada preview from a WHL perspective.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
From what I gather....
-NHL skating ability/speed
-High level wrist shot
-strong kid, not afraid of the physical stuff
-seems to excel when surrounded by talent...ie: playing for Canada
-comes off as a good kid in interviews...but sounds like there's been rumblings out of Sudbury saying otherwise...but in all fairness...he seems to wear a letter whenever he plays for Canada...

-questionable hockey sense, although Ive seen his coaches say the opposite
-questionable drive (Russian mind, Canadian born...) but...there's also quite a bit of mention that people think he's gotten a bad rap
-has underachieved and not hit expectations in Sudbury (perhaps needs to be surrounded by talent)
-needs defensive work...yet has the skating ability and size should allow him to progress in that regard...sounds aware that he must work on that.
-people think he may have topped out early...he was 1st overall in the OHL and was considered, but not granted, for early entrance into the OHL (like Tavares).

My take...I think he'll make a career in the NHL...just not be the top flight player people thought a year or two ago he would eventually become. He's got a NHL ready skills in skating and shooting and size that should work well in the league...is a top 6 player? or is he a bottom 6/top 6 tweener? Hard to say. Wherever he lands I think he's got the type of skills that will make him a good playoff player.

Mostly just stuff I've gathered from others...seen him play a couple times. He's a very good skater with a really nice shot.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
He hasn't taken the strides expected of him when he was drafted first in the O. I think he'll play in the NHL a long time. I also know that a lot of scouts are down on him. It seemed like a lot guys who started behind him caught up.

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
From what I gather....
-NHL skating ability/speed
-High level wrist shot
-strong kid, not afraid of the physical stuff
-seems to excel when surrounded by talent...ie: playing for Canada
-comes off as a good kid in interviews...but sounds like there's been rumblings out of Sudbury saying otherwise...but in all fairness...he seems to wear a letter whenever he plays for Canada...

-questionable hockey sense, although Ive seen his coaches say the opposite
-questionable drive (Russian mind, Canadian born...) but...there's also quite a bit of mention that people think he's gotten a bad rap
-has underachieved and not hit expectations in Sudbury (perhaps needs to be surrounded by talent)
-needs defensive work...yet has the skating ability and size should allow him to progress in that regard...sounds aware that he must work on that.
-people think he may have topped out early...he was 1st overall in the OHL and was considered, but not granted, for early entrance into the OHL (like Tavares).

My take...I think he'll make a career in the NHL...just not be the top flight player people thought a year or two ago he would eventually become. He's got a NHL ready skills in skating and shooting and size that should work well in the league...is a top 6 player? or is he a bottom 6/top 6 tweener? Hard to say. Wherever he lands I think he's got the type of skills that will make him a good playoff player.

Mostly just stuff I've gathered from others...seen him play a couple times. He's a very good skater with a really nice shot.

Thanks for the rundown bro! I've also been very curious about him lately as it seems he realistically could be there for my Oilers at 31....as amazing as that seems! Sounds to me like he is a kid that in the right surroundings could do some amazing things. My big question is will he be a center or a winger in the NHL? I had not seen him listed as anything but a center until this season but now I've seen him listed as a winger by a few scouting agencies this season.

Halifaxhab*

Thanks for the rundown bro! I've also been very curious about him lately as it seems he realistically could be there for my Oilers at 31....as amazing as that seems! Sounds to me like he is a kid that in the right surroundings could do some amazing things. My big question is will he be a center or a winger in the NHL? I had not seen him listed as anything but a center until this season but now I've seen him listed as a winger by a few scouting agencies this season.

I am originally from Sudbury and go back home to catch games and have watched alot of them on TV. Sudbury had a tough time this year due to Foligno running duties of Coach AND GM. Foligno didn't spend enough time coaching this year (which is why he stepped down).

JM has all the tools, is a humble kid, smart and respectful. He had some rumored arguments with the coach that supposedly were around his useage in game situations and icetime.

McFarland was underused as a 2nd liner (on a team that really only had one line to speak of). O'Dell was the top C and JM was used as 2nd C with very poor wingers (lack of finish and effort on their part).

McFarland worked very hard, but not smart (showed a lack of polish that could have been improved on with better coaching).

Once JM gets drafted, that team will have landed a top 15 talent likely in the 2nd round. With professional coaches and sroper support he'll turn into a really good 2nd line C with solid defensive abilities.

I would actually hope my Habs pick this kid up and have him work with Boucher.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Fitting that Gare Joyce popped in....biked through harsh wind gusts yesterday to get your book at the Chapters at Gloucester Center from Orleans only to find out the only copy was at Rideau Center...so I bussed down with my bike...could have drove! lol. Assuming your still familiar with Ottawa.

Anyways the books a real treat so far (Future Greats and Heartbreaks)....one thing the book has taught me...there's probably someone from 15-30 that will be wiling to take McFarland in the 1st round. He may not be the superstar people thought he was gonna be, but someone in the second half of the 1st round will probably just be looking for a guy who will make an NHL career and contribute to a winner, and I don't doubt someone will see that in McFarland....especially if teams have a reason to believe the character issues are overblown...which I get the idea they are.

He probably won't be the character champ that an Erik Gudbranson will be...but not many will.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
If he interviews well at the combine he goes first round easy, too much natural ability to pass on if a team has convinced themselves he has his head on straight.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I've never liked what I've seen from MacFarland but the kid needs alot of polishing to even get the diamond to look half bad.

Power full shot - can miss the net from 20ft or 2ft with it.
Great speed - seems to fly around the ice without a purpose.
Great size - never uses it.
Hockey IQ - of a plant.
Only plays well when around talent.... that concerns me.
Defensive play - what's that??
Attitude - haven't heard a nice story about the kid.

He has a physical makeup to be a great power forward. But also has the tools to flounder in minor-pro hockey.

I will never right off a kid at 17 but MacFarland needs alot of work. He did play better after being cut from the WJ team. From my vantage point if your that good you shouldn't need great talent around you to play well. Alot of great players make do with what they have.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He played wing on the top team in minor hockey before being drafted to the O . He showed alot of talent but not alot of hockey IQ even back then . He played well with team Ontario when they were dominate at the under 17 and played well with a superior under 18 team last year . He didn't play that well with a average under 18 team this year and that would concern me . Playing well when your on a clearly superior team is one thing but the playing field at the NHL level is alot more balenced than it is at some of these tournaments .

I think the kids a real boom or bust type prospect . It's going to be interesting to where he goes .

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
John McFarland

i heard somewhere that the leafs might draft this kid if he we get a first rounder, my question is what is upside and downside?
i've heard he can hit really good, and is a great skater with a great shot, i know he doesn't have the best stats(maybe because sudbury is that bad?) but why has he dropped from being the number one pick(projected from years before)from barely being in the first round?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Here's TSR's in depth profile on him

John McFarland

Pros: Excellent skating ability, extremely explosive, can play a physical game, demonstrates elite offensive skills
Cons: Lack of focus, consistency issues, lack of hockey sense, needs to hit the net more
Skillset comparison: Grittier Nikolai Zherdev

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I get to see him a lot in Sudbury and I think him falling so far is really unjustified. He improved his all around game this year significantly despite his mediocre numbers. Absolute worst case he ends up being a Chris Kunitz type of player. No question he has the upside of being much more offensively productive... maybe 70-75 points...

Nascarfan12

Oct 16, 2008
near Toronto
He was the overall #1 pick in the OHL in 2008 so someone saw something in him they liked. They say he dont play as hard when hes with a bad team (Sudbury) but he turns it way up when he gets on like the Under 18 team and on the world stage.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
He was the overall #1 pick in the OHL in 2008 so someone saw something in him they liked. They say he dont play as hard when hes with a bad team (Sudbury) but he turns it way up when he gets on like the Under 18 team and on the world stage.

I would say moreso that at the OHL and NHL level, he's a great complementary player, who if put on a line with talent will fit in and provide a bit of everything. However he is not the type of guy you build a team around, nor can he carry the load.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I read about his great speed, hard shot and he's physically strong... then you look at his stats. Why did he regress? What's missing in his offensive game?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00