RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
John will be a good player if he can keep his attitude in check.

He would've gone a lot earlier if his character wasn't so suspect.

As someone who has seen John play well over 50 games the last two years I can say the character is less of an issue then its made out to be.

His issue is that he has questionable hockey sense and almost 0 creativity. He has one move and one way to get the puck up the ice, making him a fairly easy player for any decent skating defencemen to shut now. Defensively while he is getting better, he still needs a ton of work on his positioning and decision making.

I do like McFarland as a player, but the issues with his game grow more and more frustrating every time I see him play. A fan who only sees him a few times thinks he is a stand out prospect since he really makes you notice him with his speed and shot more than a few times per game. The more and more you watch him however you key in how he really is a player who does not evolve.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Ryan O'Reilly, good call.

Every time I've seen him he's been on the Left side. I'm sure he can play the right side, he's got the talent (as well as a right-handed shot).

Still remember his OHL Cup Finals goal (Minor Midget, OHL draft year), he was at his usual half-board spot on the left side. Took a couple steps towards the dot, and ripped his already NHL-ready wrist shot by the opposing goalie to put the game out of reach.

The kid will be fine, he had one of the best shots in the OHL last year, IMO. Just get him out of Sudbury.

He had more shots miss the net then he did anything else. His shot is hard and quick but it's not accurate at all. At times, he doesn't seem to be in the game and disappears every other shift. He tries to be fancy and fails..

I'm not sure how many games you've seen from him since the OHL Cup Final but if he hit the net more.. He'd do way better.. Sudbury allows him to do whatever he wants in terms of positioning.. And he just cannot find his spot.. The guy needs to hit the net, work on his consistency in terms of shift to shift performance.. Then we'll talk NHL..

NHLFreak

Aug 5, 2010
John McFarland

Any thoughts on his potential? His upside/ceiling?
How is he doing right now? Has anyone gotten to see him play this year.

Thanks

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Only watched one Wolves game this year and he wasn't playing.

Is it just the team he's playing on that's holding him back?

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Only watched one Wolves game this year and he wasn't playing.

Is it just the team he's playing on that's holding him back?

It's MacFarland holding himself back. Yes the team isn't very good but there are players that play on bad teams that make the most of the situation. John isn't one of them. I've never been impressed with his play. He has the tools but is missing the box to put them all in.

Seguin wasn't on the best of teams but still manage to produce with out excuses of a question team.

That's one thing I hate.. is the team holding him back. When you get tons of ice time you have to look at yourself in the mirror. Samething right now is going on with Tavares... The excuse nobody to play with. Other guys are producing.. he gets 18+ minutes of ice with little shots and no production... when does the player accept responsibility for not doing anything???

The opportunties are there for the players... MacFarland is hasn't proved squat to me since he's been in the OHL.

NHLFreak

Aug 5, 2010
It's MacFarland holding himself back. Yes the team isn't very good but there are players that play on bad teams that make the most of the situation. John isn't one of them. I've never been impressed with his play. He has the tools but is missing the box to put them all in.

Seguin wasn't on the best of teams but still manage to produce with out excuses of a question team.

That's one thing I hate.. is the team holding him back. When you get tons of ice time you have to look at yourself in the mirror. Samething right now is going on with Tavares... The excuse nobody to play with. Other guys are producing.. he gets 18+ minutes of ice with little shots and no production... when does the player accept responsibility for not doing anything???

The opportunties are there for the players... MacFarland is hasn't proved squat to me since he's been in the OHL.

But wjat do you think his potential is.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
the knock against him is his defensive play though, so how does he play anything but top 2 lines? If he gets heathy and gets motivated he will be top 2 lines.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
the knock against him is his defensive play though, so how does he play anything but top 2 lines? If he gets heathy and gets motivated he will be top 2 lines.

I hear scouts talk about how he vastly improved his two way game actually.

His knock is his heart and head.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Well, his coaches say that the reason he isn't putting up the massive points that is expected by him is because he has been working very hard on his two-way game. He is used in all situations too, both PK and PP. And you can say what you want about that he should make the most out of his ice-time, but to me it's still his team that is the problem. If you would put McFarland with some good prospect he would absolutely destroy imo. He's a small power forward, with a great shot and speed. Some people question his character, but I don't worry too much about that. He will mature like anyone else, and his interviews after the draft sounded really good.

But I'm wondering more about this injury? Anyone got some info. He has missed alot of games so far.
Hope he get's traded some time this season, he could use change.

Last edited:

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I think if puts what he has together...

Great speed, great shoot(needs to hit the net), good physical frame, he can top out at a 60 point guy. Almost 30-30.

But he needs to work mostly on his brain and heart to achieve whatever he wants to.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON

Not sure if Foligno is still coaching Sudbury, but they have always been a defense first team and this is what I meant by the team holding him back, asking an offensive kid to be a two way player. Didn't mean that as a knock on the teams other players.

Plymouth wasn't stacked but come on, they weren't a weak team.

IMCanadian

Mar 18, 2010
Not sure if Foligno is still coaching Sudbury, but they have always been a defense first team and this is what I meant by the team holding him back, asking an offensive kid to be a two way player. Didn't mean that as a knock on the teams other players.

Plymouth wasn't stacked but come on, they weren't a weak team.

No Mike Foligno is not coaching in Sudbury this year he is an assistant in Anaheim. So new coach, new system, same results. Although he has only played 12 games. I'm a season ticket holder with Sudbury and I've seen alot of McFarland. Very frustrating to watch because he has so much speed with a hard shot and a quick release. Problem seems to be with hockey sense. He is elite in most skills but is average in his hockey IQ. This is why he does better when pared with higher end players. They can get him the puck in the scoring lanes and he doesn't have to worry about all of the details.

I don't blame the wolves or his team mates. Every year there are guys playing on the same team as him that produce more then he does. This year for example Marcus Folgino is a beast. Absoulutely dominates games and he is playing with the same players as McFarland. Best move for McFarland is a change of scenary. He could still dominate this league next year as a 19 year old. Just needs a team that compliments his average hockey IQ.

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
I'm currently living in Sudbury for a bit, and I can honestly say there's basically no reason to go see the Wolves now. I've been a McFarland fan for a while, but with him gone...

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
he's been injured for most of the season, it seems. any news about him? When is he expected to be back?

I've read that he will play this weekend, so I hope that's correct.

Very glad to see McFarland moving on from Sudbury, I believe this is just what he needed for his development.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
Great to see McFarland go to a good team in Saginaw. I don't think playing on a week Sudbury team did much for the kid, it's tough playing in that situation. I'm sure he will go to Saginaw with a new attitude and show what he is capable of on the ice.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
John McFarland?

Whats going on with this guy? A few years ago he had a legit shot at going top 10.. I know last year he dropped to the beginning of the 2nd round, but people were expecting a big bounce back season from him....

He only has 26 points through 35 games....especially after being traded mid season youd think hed step it up and be extremely motivated...

I honestly dont follow him or his team, so i dont know if hes injured or if there is another issue, but there is no way he should be producing at well under a ppg pace....

I know hes been known to have attitude problems and i saw a glimse of it when i attended the draft this summer....when he realized he wasnt getting drafted in the 1st round, he seemed extremely arrogant and had this cocky look to him like he was being wronged or something...it didnt sit well with me....

Anyone know what his deal is? Am i off base?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Id look at his goals/game ratio since he's playing wing and is more of a shooter anyways. 19 goals in 35 games is actually a big improvement over last yr. 13 goals in 23 games in Saginaw, a better team (pro-rates to almost 40 goals in a full season, but its a small sample). But still, it shows me the jury is still out on this guy. I think with good linemates and a simple style, he could be an effective NHL player. But it may take a couple of yrs to see that through. He has all the physical talent to be a good player, just needs the right focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad