RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

rydude189

Oct 22, 2003
www.rydude.tk
He gets frustrated way too easily on the ice.

In his first year he was able to beat the goaltenders with the same move, second year goalies figured him out, was snake-bitten for the longest time. This year he seemed to focus more on his defensive game after much criticism, could be part of the reason for his offensive output being so low.

Also he didn't have much of a supporting cast in Sudbury. Seemed to be on a different line every other game. The entire team was too slow for him, the kid can go end to end and burn past everyone but his teammates are still at the red-line.

Look at his stats at international events, give him some teammates who can keep up with him and you will get a totally different player.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I read about his great speed, hard shot and he's physically strong... then you look at his stats. Why did he regress? What's missing in his offensive game?

He plays for the Sudbury Wolves.

That's what's wrong with his offensive game.

Analyzer*

I read about his great speed, hard shot and he's physically strong... then you look at his stats. Why did he regress? What's missing in his offensive game?

If he becomes physical, it's usually a sign that he's frustrated. It was noted that he wasn't producing, so he became a physical player. They worded it as a negative. Really, that's a positive, at least he's doing something

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
He has all the tools, just missing the tool box.

If someone can talk some sense into him and he can start to put the mental side of the game/life together he will be a grea player. If not who knows

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I'd love for Leafs to get him, despite his work ethic. I think he can improve, but he was amazing in the U18 game I saw on TV, he was an explosive player. But then again, I only saw him for like 5 minutes :laugh:, so who knows how good he really is. But man, that one shift, he completely dominated.

lightning_legwand*

John McFarland

How far do you think he will slip in the draft??

lightning_legwand*

What happened to him? His stock was looking like a top 5 pick coming into this season, he just fell apart??

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I think Florida will take a chance on him with their multiple second rounders. I see Edmonton taking Weal who will be able to set up Eberle and Hall.

droller*

Is a 2nd round John McFarland a motivated one?

This kid has done nothing but fall in the rankings after being taken so high in the OHL entry draft. I've only seen him play a handful of games, but he seemed like he "thought he was the s***" kind of player that lacked that drive and determination.

They should a brief clip of him on TSN exiting, and obviously didn't look impressed. Is this the wake up call for this one highly touted prospect. Best thing for his career?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think this, combined with the lack of an invite to the World Junior summer camp could possibly knock him into shape. Especially with a new coach starting in Sudbury. It will definitely be interesting to say the least. I look forward to watching him this season.

SouthFLFan79

Feb 2, 2007
plus florida is a good chance to really progress and get to the NHL lineup fast. They traditionally have advanced folks fast and not spent on FA when they could bring up a kid. If he turns around the attitude he could become a stud player in the future if not oh wells it was worth the risk.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
he obviously was working out like a nutcase for the combine so he seems to have new energy.

hopefully this drop in draft position will motiviate him to train and play better

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I think he has a bright future ahead of him. Pity he'll disappear into relative anonymity with Florida.

It's okay, the Panthers are making big steps in the last week as far as turning it around, so when they starting winning in the next couple of years, you won't have to worry about the anonymity.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Yes. I think a lot of teams will regret passing on him.
He'll be a very good player next year in junior and in the future for the Panthers.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
i wanted him on the Kings, but there is just something about his demeanor that seems off....i dont know what it is, but from what i read and see, he seems like a really selfish person who doesnt understand how to be a team player

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Seems to have an ego problem. Perhaps he will mature as he got served some humble pie today. Ball is in his court.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00