RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
leadership qualities ahahahah you are kidding right? Ask Bobby Orr what he thinks of the kid. Ask his Wolves teammates...I know he got better by the end of the year but I have heard nothing bad negatives about his personality. Great player for sure but not a leader yet

Thanks for the insight LOL are you one of his Sudbury teammates????

Didnt think so. Please dont believe the garbage coming out of this guy's mouth. John has been great in Sudbury, and although he had a slow start, he absolutely showed a lot of promise in the second half.

John has a long way to go, but him being named captain was no shock to anyone who watched him this year in Sudbury. He is always talking with Mike Foligno on the bench, you can tell he is a student of the game and is striving to be a better, more complete player.

I say he is a top five pick barring some kind of disastrous season, which is highly unlikely in my opinion after the confidence he hopefully gained from this tournament.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
are you? ahahah no. I coached against the kid for two years...

The way you've talked about McFarland here and the stuff you say is acceptable for kids and leadership I'm really grateful you have never coached my kids!
Perhaps you need to be more concerned about your own players before you slag other teams kids! :shakehead:shakehead

Juice*

The way you've talked about McFarland here and the stuff you say is acceptable for kids and leadership I'm really grateful you have never coached my kids!
Perhaps you need to be more concerned about your own players before you slag other teams kids! :shakehead:shakehead

read all my posts pal....he is an unreal player... the best i have seen in the league since taylor hall. i just couldnt handle his attitude. the only one worse i have seen in nick cousins.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
From those I spoke to, Connolly was banged up at U18s, McFarland was good but they liked Seguin a bit more. From one guy who worked with McF ... an eye-roll and a description as "handful" in terms of coachability.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Im not sold on him yet, last season in the OHL he didnt do anything really to warrant the hype he got as 1st pick over all.

With that said, his play has stepped up in intl play and hopefully that translate into contine progress in the upcoming OHL season.

Otherwise he was just benefitting from his linemates with the canadiens... (funny how everyone said that about his linemates prior to the OHL draft)

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
Hall and Kabanov seem to have 1 and 2 locked down, and i see someone wanting a defenceman in the top 3, which would likely seen Cam Fowler being the top defenceman drafted. I see McFarland going anywhere from 3-15 but to predict i'd say 6th overall. I may be alittle biased because i saw him the first half of the season, but didn't really stand out on a Sudbury team that didn't have that many standout kinda players. ALthough he still sounds like an excellent talent and i'm sure he's improved, i wouldn't p ut him in the same group as Hall, Kabanov and Fowler just yet.

I think you're in the neighbourhood. I think someone on the board mentioned that he didn't think much of McFarland vs B-ville in the playoffs. I thought he actually looked pretty good--I remember one play he made to get loose in the slot and wired it by Murphy but off the crossbar late in a one-goal game ... would have to go to my notes but it was one of the first two tilts in the Yardmen. It was pretty impressive stuff against a strong veteran team. I find it hard to get a read on a kid--especially a 16-year-old--on a weak team ... it's tough enough to make the transition from minor midget to junior on a good team. And Orr probably left because he found out McF was repped by Newport. Hard to stay in bizness as an agent if you start invoking character ... there are a lot of bad guys who can make you good money.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I wouldn' shaven my head either if I played hockey in Sudbury, do you have any idea how cold it gets up there.
As for the leadership and maturity, I think that every player matures at a different pace. I know I said and did a lot of stupid things as a 16 year old and I bet so did a lot of other people.
I watched 2 games this past winter and I thought he played pretty good. He made some pretty nice dangles around some guys. One guy on the sudbury team yelled at his team mates over and over, it was that Aliu kid. Almost the whole game he was yelling and showing bad body language.

korben*

You should have seen him in Minor Midget.....absolutely dominant.

Who isn´t?

He was good in U18 champs. And he was under radar.
Linemate Hishon was not under radar. But he impressed me more. Just couple games though. Both are going to be good!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
are you? ahahah no. I coached against the kid for two years...

Im sorry coach juice, but what the hell are you doin on the message boards so much? Dont you have better things to do than defend your bs claims that you know what goes on in the Sudbury Wolves dressing room?

Honestly man, this is an internet message board, I really cant believe someone that coaches at any competitive level is as frequent a poster as yourself.

Stop lying, your no coach, coaches would have more decency than to go off spreading stuff about a young teenage kid who has plenty of time to mature.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Is this the same guy who petitioned to be drafted as a 14 year old as an "exceptional player"?

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Yeap. And he still is.

Well, at least we know he is very confident in himself (although I remember a few people laughing at him for trying it).

I've never seen him play and I don't really know much about him, but while I'm sure he is very talented, his numbers don't suggest him to be an "exceptional player" like Tavares and Spezza were.

korben*

Those two games I saw of him. He is not Daigle. Naturally. He is like hmmm Rene Bourque...
Made it !

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
OHL guys are always heavily favored. When Beach was with the U-18 team he showed up to the last game wearing a team Ontario shirt hoping to get more ice time lol.

Beach was 100% wrong. He has thankfully been banned from all competitions and camps with Team Canada.

drw08

Aug 29, 2008
I'll take Joey Hishon as a better prospect with more potential thank Mcfarland.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I haven't seen McFarland play, so I don't know where he'll go. I am not however listening to everyone knocking his character based on something they have heard about him. He was named Captain of a National team. That is good enough for me. I'll trust the guys in charge of the U18 team to scout leadership abilities than somebody who coached against him and likely got lit up.

By the way, for the guy taking a pot shot at his brother saying he was arrogant or something....Paul McFarland was the captain of the Spits and is now the Captain of the Acadia Axemen.

I think the leadership pedigree for these two speaks for itself.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
is John McFarland as good as advertised?

I notice he's 39th in OHL scoring, and yes i realize the season is young.

Is he more of a 2 way player than a pure scorer? Also any comparisons would be helpful.

Is he a legit top 10 pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->