RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
that's quite an odd comparison, not sure i see that. Better skating Schiefele would be Eichel for me. those 2 guys are more meat and potatoes, Pettersson is more finesse and nifty style of player. He reminded me a bit of Datsyuk and Nikita Kucherov when I watched him last night. but to each his own.

Scheifele is 90 percent hockey sense. He doesn't have any one elite attribute except his IQ and his hands. He just never makes a mistake. That's what I see in Petterson.

Eichel is pure skill power and speed.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He was the best Canuck in the game, I think he was, Bo was great but I think Pettersson was better. Goldobin had enough chances for a hatrick because of Pettersson

Give aways Pettersson 1
Virtanen 0

He was definitely better than Horvat in that game. Goldobin & Pettersson look to be building a bit of chemistry. This could be a great thing for Goldobin.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lawrence

May 19, 2012
How does one partition these tiers? A few tiers must mean you use a 50-tier system.

In PinkFly's definition everyone is a few tiers below Matthews. Personally I love it when other fans underestimate our players. It's hilarious when it backfires.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Only one team can have Matthews so who cares? Its how the team plays together thats important , not individual players. Anyone heard the legend of the golden knights of Vegas?

Hope Alien become as good as he can for the team. No need to compare with others.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Scheifele is 90 percent hockey sense. He doesn't have any one elite attribute except his IQ and his hands. He just never makes a mistake. That's what I see in Petterson.

Eichel is pure skill power and speed.
Seems like some people haven’t lately watched Scheifele play. Last season the Jets coach Maurice said clearly in an interview that the fastest skater in the whole Jets team isn’t Ehlers and neither Wheeler, but guess who? Yes, Maurice said clearly that Scheifele is the fastest skater in the whole team. Honestly I don’t see there much if any difference at all with Scheifele’s and Eichel’s skating. And this I base on seeing them both play in a lot of games last season.

Scheifele is an extremist in developing himself and he for sure has done an excellent job with developing his skating. Eichel is for sure no slouch in developing himself, but still he doesn’t have the same insane drive that Scheifele has for it. Scheifele is really Crosby-like in that, and there are not many others in the whole league with that kind of drive and ultra-professional attitude with their training. And I don’t mean just the training amounts, but also the will and the commitment to find the best approaches and experts to help them with their development.

Oh, and to get clearly back to the topic, Pettersson will become a world class player latest in a couple of years when he has filled his skinny frame. Might even become an instant star, but that I’m still a bit careful about until I see him play in at least 10 regular season NHL games.

I could see him becoming even a better player in his prime than Matthews, but he has a long way to make that happen. And he might as well not become the class of a player that Matthews becomes in his prime. I guess the latter scenario is the more likely one still. I wouldn’t though be horribly surprised if even the 1st scenario becomes reality after all. I really like the skillset that Pettersson has.

Last edited:

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
How does one partition these tiers? A few tiers must mean you use a 50-tier system.

Not at all. Matthews is an elite first liner so he goes in the S+ tier. Pettersson would probably go into B tier with other good 2nd liners like Laine and Boeser.

Reactions: Siludin

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I have to disagree with this criticism. I can think of one time where he took a low percentage shot from a stand still in over 7 minutes of PP time. It led to the goal you described and encouraged the PKers to cheat away from him less when he had the puck.

I could see the argument that he wasn't generating enough movement when he held the puck. I could also see the argument that he passed to the net front guy for a jam play too often (about 4 by my count; I don't think it would have worked more than once against an NHL team).

But those are minor criticisms. Overall I still think he did a great job on the PP.

The best thing I can say about him was how adept he was at starting break outs from his own end. More than once he was the last man back and two passes later he had a break away.
He already looks like he can suceed as a centre, which I wasn't necessarily expecting.

That was a pass.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I really can’t wait to see what this kid can do through the season, I’m hoping he can hit the ground running

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Him and Nikolay Goldobin have clicked immediately and seem to have some nice chemistry developing.

Would really like to see him and Goldobin stick together this year and watch them make some magic. Both kids just ooze talent.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Calder winner.

I like Pettersson a lot, but I doubt he beats out Dahlin for the Calder. I'm thinking Dahlin will lug between 24-26 minutes a night on average and will score between 40-50 points as a D. I do, however, think he could rival Svechnikov and the rest of the rookies.

I've been watching Pettersson very closely and the NHL player he reminds me of the most is Brad Richards. Although he's taller and lankier, his playing style is very similar. Very good hands and elite IQ... past-first player but has the ability to score as well.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Now we just have to see him how he plays against elite centers or teams top 2 centers.

Baby steps
He's handled everything before this very well

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Stiff competition from dahlin and Svechnikov.
I think Pettersson and Svechnikov will be very close. Don't think Dahlin wins it, as good as he is, dmen very often take longer to hit their stride in the NHL and Dahlin will be no exception. He won't score more than 45 points and I think Pettersson gets 70+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad