RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I like Pettersson a lot, but I doubt he beats out Dahlin for the Calder. I'm thinking Dahlin will lug between 24-26 minutes a night on average and will score between 40-50 points as a D. I do, however, think he could rival Svechnikov and the rest of the rookies.

I've been watching Pettersson very closely and the NHL player he reminds me of the most is Brad Richards. Although he's taller and lankier, his playing style is very similar. Very good hands and elite IQ... past-first player but has the ability to score as well.
I would take Pettersson and Svechnikov over Dahlin.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Seems like some people haven’t lately watched Scheifele play. Last season the Jets coach Maurice said clearly in an interview that the fastest skater in the whole Jets team isn’t Ehlers and neither Wheeler, but guess who? Yes, Maurice said clearly that Scheifele is the fastest skater in the whole team. Honestly I don’t see there much if any difference at all with Scheifele’s and Eichel’s skating. And this I base on seeing them both play in a lot of games last season.

Scheifele is an extremist in developing himself and he for sure has done an excellent job with developing his skating. Eichel is for sure no slouch in developing himself, but still he doesn’t have the same insane drive that Scheifele has for it. Scheifele is really Crosby-like in that, and there are not many others in the whole league with that kind of drive and ultra-professional attitude with their training. And I don’t mean just the training amounts, but also the will and the commitment to find the best approaches and experts to help them with their development.

Oh, and to get clearly back to the topic, Pettersson will become a world class player latest in a couple of years when he has filled his skinny frame. Might even become an instant star, but that I’m still a bit careful about until I see him play in at least 10 regular season NHL games.

I could see him becoming even a better player in his prime than Matthews, but he has a long way to make that happen. And he might as well not become the class of a player that Matthews becomes in his prime. I guess the latter scenario is the more likely one still. I wouldn’t though be horribly surprised if even the 1st scenario becomes reality after all. I really like the skillset that Pettersson has.
Interesting. You a jets fan? I’m genuinely curious about Scheifele’s skatking as I always revamp the skating of players in EA’s NHL games lol I used to have his speed at 90 , but I 2nd guessed it the other day and bumped it down to an 87. How is his agility and acceleration? Has he always been fast or did he become faster since he entered the league? I’ve never thought of him as a guy who built his game around speed so it is very possible that it slipped by me. The fastest skaters on the Jets I have are Ehlers, Wheeler Connor and Tanev.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I wouldn't bet on any 18-year olds to win the Calder. Especially a defenseman. This is Pettersson's to lose.

Reactions: MendelMu

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think Pettersson and Svechnikov will be very close. Don't think Dahlin wins it, as good as he is, dmen very often take longer to hit their stride in the NHL and Dahlin will be no exception. He won't score more than 45 points and I think Pettersson gets 70+.

If Dahlin wins it it will likely be based on hype along with decent stats. Wouldn't take that much for him to win it imo. It could easily become a popularity contest

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Interesting. You a jets fan? I’m genuinely curious about Scheifele’s skatking as I always revamp the skating of players in EA’s NHL games lol I used to have his speed at 90 , but I 2nd guessed it the other day and bumped it down to an 87. How is his agility and acceleration? Has he always been fast or did he become faster since he entered the league? I’ve never thought of him as a guy who built his game around speed so it is very possible that it slipped by me. The fastest skaters on the Jets I have are Ehlers, Wheeler Connor and Tanev.
I would say that generally the best skater for the Jets is probably still Ehlers, as he is so light and he has excellent first steps and agility. But I understood that it was pure skating speed where Scheifele is the fastest of the whole Jets team. He is nowadays really good with his first steps and pretty good with his agility too, just not on the level that Ehlers has in those area’s. I think he is most probably quite underrated as a skater really.

And yes I am a Jets fan, and have watched for the last two seasons almost all of their games. Watched their games several per season even before that, but after Laine joined the Jets and the quality of the Jets team had risen in general, I had more reason to watch games in the middle of the night or early in the morning here in Finland.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Usage will decide who wins the Calder. If Dahlin doesn't get a spot on that top PP then I say we can count him out. Pettersson seems to crush all my expectations every year so I wouldn't bet against him. Svechnikov will put up some numbers for sure. Not a big fan of this trophy however, it's just all about points and hype. Peaking late in the season doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Dude's a f*** ing globetrotter.

I wouldn't bet on any 18-year olds to win the Calder. Especially a defenseman. This is Pettersson's to lose.

Nope. Andrei Svechnikov and Dhalin are better prospects as claimed by the media world and the experts on hfboards.com it's theirs to loss, not Pettersson.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Guy Looks stupidly good, another 2 assists, man the PP is gonna be sick this year, and better next year with hughes

Reactions: Kreator

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Never doubted his ability to produce on the PP. How has he been 5-on-5?

very good. very responsible back checker. he's won puck battles a long the boards and came out with the puck multiple times. I know it's pre season, and he has yet to face a full line up of NHLers but he is a lock. He's been there best player.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
Dude's a **** ing globetrotter.

Nope. Andrei Svechnikov and Dhalin are better prospects as claimed by the media world and the experts on hfboards.com it's theirs to loss, not Pettersson.

Rasmus and Andrei are generally viewed as the better prospects. That said, a lot of experts have Pettersson as the favorite to win the Calder. I'd say it's his to lose right now.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't think people fully understand how good Pettersson is.
- wish people wouldn't drool over so much for Dahlin, Dahlin is barely 18
and he is a d-man, there's just no way he is better as d-man at the moment what Petterson is as forward.

Pettersson is miles better at the moment (in my eyes anyways), Dahlin is better 3-4 years from now
when he finally breaks it big in the NHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rasmus and Andrei are generally viewed as the better prospects. That said, a lot of experts have Pettersson as the favorite to win the Calder. I'd say it's his to lose right now.

those experts have also said Dhalin or Svehnikov or Mittlestadt will be in the running, so no, it's not his, and Pettersson will have to earn it, it's not his to lose.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If Dahlin wins it it will likely be based on hype along with decent stats. Wouldn't take that much for him to win it imo. It could easily become a popularity contest

All trophies other than art is always a popularity contest, this year no different, they are never based on neutral facts. If it was not a arbitrary popularity contest it would never be based on voting but on facts.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
All trophies other than art is always a popularity contest, this year no different, they are never based on neutral facts. If it was not a arbitrary popularity contest it would never be based on voting but on facts.

Sad but true. Media coverage and attention is key

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don't think people fully understand how good Pettersson is.
- wish people wouldn't drool over so much for Dahlin, Dahlin is barely 18
and he is a d-man, there's just no way he is better as d-man at the moment what Petterson is as forward.

Pettersson is miles better at the moment (in my eyes anyways), Dahlin is better 3-4 years from now
when he finally breaks it big in the NHL.

Dahlin is stupidly good, you will see soon enough.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Dahlin is stupidly good, you will see soon enough.
No one doubts that. But Pettersson and Dahlin just played in the same league with roughly the same quality of team mates.

I'd honestly say it's up for grabs for any of the four mentioned guys. It'll depend on their respective teams more than on them though. I don't think Pettersson will get it, simply because I don't see the Canucks scoring as much as Buffalo or Carolina. But we won't know until it starts. I'm definitely looking forward to the Calder race this year.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Rasmus Dahlin is the better prospect, Elias Pettersson is the better player of the two. They just played a full season in SHL where Rasmus Dahlin was a ~top 5 D-man while Elias Pettersson was the clear MVP of the league. Yes, it's likely Dahlin will develop a bit more over the past summer and over the season but i think it's unlikely he makes up the gap before this season is over.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No one doubts that. But Pettersson and Dahlin just played in the same league with roughly the same quality of team mates.
Are you serious? Pettersson was on the best team in the league, Dahlin was on a dumpster tier team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad