RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Me neither, at least not this early. I tried to temper the nucks fans expecations pretty hard b/c of his small stature etc, but Elias has proved me wrong. Really happy for the canucks and Elias that I was wrong :)
Kudos for admitting that. We all make mistakes or need to adjust our opinions based on new info. I’ve made more than my share. But I can admire you for owning up to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAS 39 Gripen

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Me neither, at least not this early. I tried to temper the nucks fans expecations pretty hard b/c of his small stature etc, but Elias has proved me wrong. Really happy for the canucks and Elias that I was wrong :)
Good to hear that .
It tells me that you're a reasonable person who just had concerns about EP that have since been elevated.
Every prospect no matter where they're drafted still have to show is on the ice and EP has impressed.

kingblue

Nov 16, 2018
St. Louis
Good to hear that .
It tells me that you're a reasonable person who just had concerns about EP that have since been elevated.
Every prospect no matter where they're drafted still have to show is on the ice and EP has impressed.
His concerns about EP haven't been elevated, they've been squashed if what I'm reading is correct.

Unless you meant alleviated. Now that I'm reading it that's probably what you meant. Carry on.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think the only question now is if he'll be able to keep this up for the rest of his rookie season, or if he'll be gassed at the last 10-30 games, as some get.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Barzal never played with Tavares even strength. He played mostly with Eberle and Beauvillier/Ladd.
His regression is mostly to do with playing a more structured defensive game in Trotz's system vs last year's run and gun offense.

Yes not on even strength, but he played with Tavares on PP and amassed 27 points on PP. You are delusional if don't think Tavares leaving wasn't going to hurt players offensive production.

Reactions: TimeZone

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
His mastery of space/gaps is very Datsyuk-like. I do not believe a Gretzky comparison 26 games into his career will do anyone any good. He is a genius in the game of hockey, his body needs to catch up before he reaches the upper echelon of productivity that the Forsbergs and Gretzkys occupy. IMHO, he also needs a Coffey or a Sakic to be truly effective. Hopefully the Hughes will take care of that.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Hah, that’ll draw some hate for the Gretzky quote, but honestly his game is pretty similar - not in terms of ability, but the style he plays and the areas where he’s strong/weak, plenty of similarities there with Wayne. Like, it’s hard to think of a better purely stylistic comparison than Gretzky.

Gretzky was Pettersson-like not the other way around

Reactions: Calad

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nobody in there rightful minds are comparing EP40 to Gretzky in terms of him going to be the best player ever.

What a ton of people are doing in the Media, Fans, Players, Coaches, GM's, and Gretzky himself has said that Pettersson vision and hockey IQ reminds people of Gretzky.

So put those pitchforks back in the shed, relax and just enjoy EP40 for what he is, a young superstar.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
In a grinding game like this one, where the Canucks looked like garbage for the most part & Pete couldn't do his usual dazzling, he still made some smart plays & ended the game with 2 points.

That's what great players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad