Rutherford to Rossi: "You're a ****ing jerk. ... Your opinion is ****."

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
He acts like a little weasel, but the scene seems odd in my head I suppose.

It just seems weird that JR sees Rossi walk past, then starts swearing at him. Rossi probably gave him a smug little smile and that set JR off. I could see that making him go off.

Rossi running off to write his little article is so pathetic and unprofessional as well. But I have come to expect that kind of behavior from him.

Dejan reported Rutherford was furious during the game. At the refs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Personally - I dislike Rossi more, but want Rutherford & The Seven Dwarves gone more.

I can handle the Rossi nonsense if my team is being effectively managed.

In an ideal world, they'd all be gone. In a perfect world, they'd be the ones to take one another out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Apparently you have not seen the dozens of videos I have of coaches and managers from various sports completely loosing their **** at reporters while on camera.

It does happen all the time, and usually the coach/manager is not long for their position with the team.

I've seen them. I also know the ones that merit knowing about happened years and years apart.

I'm not saying it's never happened, I'm just saying to play it off as some frequent occurrence seems to reek of "oh, nothing to see here. everything's fine!"

We do agree that when it does happen, it foreshadows a significant change in the coming months for said team official. I think JR is pissed because of the way things have played out in his time here, and that he's the fall guy now. I wouldn't be surprised to learn JR actually had a plan and wanted to go about executing it but was ****-blocked by the myriad of wannabe-GMs and ownership.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rossi is all about the click bait. The jig is up. Everyone knows he's a joke and now he has to resort to this in order to get people to read his stuff. Wonder if he's on the block.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Wonder if the Pens will pull Rossi's press pass for writing this since it was off the record. Definitely a big no-no in the world of reporting.

Also, it doesn't make sense for JR to just say this unprovoked.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've seen them. I also know the ones that merit knowing about happened years and years apart.

I'm not saying it's never happened, I'm just saying to play it off as some frequent occurrence seems to reek of "oh, nothing to see here. everything's fine!"

We do agree that when it does happen, it foreshadows a significant change in the coming months for said team official. I think JR is pissed because of the way things have played out in his time here, and that he's the fall guy now. I wouldn't be surprised to learn JR actually had a plan and wanted to go about executing it but was ****-blocked by the myriad of wannabe-GMs and ownership.

I think that part should be pretty clear. Whether it would've been for the better or worse, I'm fairly certain that references from Colligan et al from the deadline talking about moves being nixed because of 'concern for the room' was spot on and am almost as certain that the 'concern for the room' hesitation didn't come from JR.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

This...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think that part should be pretty clear. Whether it would've been for the better or worse, I'm fairly certain that references from Colligan et al from the deadline talking about moves being nixed because of 'concern for the room' was spot on and am almost as certain that the 'concern for the room' hesitation didn't come from JR.

I mean, the guy comes in and the first thing he does roster-wise is to move Neal for Hornqvist/Spaling. A move that makes us a better playoff team, and (ideally) gives us depth with Spaling. Then he drafts a skilled European forward in the first round of his first draft. Then he goes out and gets Comeau and Downie for dirt cheap to create more depth and give us a bit of physicality and snarl. I still want to be optimistic and think the Ehrhoff deal was a sign of Martin's departure, but injuries derailed that. Martin easily would have snagged us a first rounder, if not more.

I dunno. I absolutely hate the Despres deal, and think it really does counterbalance damn near all of the good JR's done, but a lot of question marks surround the front office in my opinion. Lots of things that just don't make sense, and JR's body language and tone during his deadline day presser really spoke volumes. Sounded like a guy who knew he was the one who was about to take all of the blame for something he had no control over in the end.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Seven Dwarves protecting the Kuniz and the Scuderi most likely.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I'm not taking sides here, I'm saying it's pretty clear Rutherford takes offense at all the criticism he's gotten and that was a peculiar choice of words he used. I don't think it's coincidence. At all.

Either way I want them both to disappear from the Pittsburgh sports landscape forever. They're both worthless, but Rutherford is a much better GM than Rossi is a columnist -- I will say that.

To be fair to JR, Rossi started *****ing on the new regime long before a puck was even dropped. It was clearly a bizarre personal thing with him. I don't think this is a case of JR wanting to censor the media or being unable to take fair criticism. I think JR probably just sees Rossi for the loathsome little creep that he is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, the guy comes in and the first thing he does roster-wise is to move Neal for Hornqvist/Spaling. A move that makes us a better playoff team, and (ideally) gives us depth with Spaling. Then he drafts a skilled European forward in the first round of his first draft. Then he goes out and gets Comeau and Downie for dirt cheap to create more depth and give us a bit of physicality and snarl. I still want to be optimistic and think the Ehrhoff deal was a sign of Martin's departure, but injuries derailed that. Martin easily would have snagged us a first rounder, if not more.

I dunno. I absolutely hate the Despres deal, and think it really does counterbalance damn near all of the good JR's done, but a lot of question marks surround the front office in my opinion. Lots of things that just don't make sense, and JR's body language and tone during his deadline day presser really spoke volumes. Sounded like a guy who knew he was the one who was about to take all of the blame for something he had no control over in the end.

I'm not saying what JR would've done with his hands untied would've been a good thing, but I share your perspective that his hands have been tied.

Seven Dwarves protecting the Kuniz and the Scuderi most likely.

Among other things, I fear . . .

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I do think we should move on from JR and his million assistants but I have to admit that him going off at Rossi like this made my night. :laugh:

I think I'll always have a soft spot for JR from now on because of this.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Wow what a dumpster fire this organization is. Rossi is a ****** (amazed if he keeps his job after this) but you have to be professional too as a gm.

The owners really have to get their house in order.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Rossi started being ****** to him the day he was hired, so I'm not at all surprised.

Maybe JR is stepping down at the end of the season and he decided he wanted to dress Rossi down while he is still here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, if I gave a **** enough, I'm sure I could dig up several snarky questions or whiny articles about JR that Rossi has "written" since he came here. I don't blame him for losing it on the little puke.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, if I gave a **** enough, I'm sure I could dig up several snarky questions or whiny articles about JR that Rossi has "written" since he came here. I don't blame him for losing it on the little puke.

It's been a lot more than snarky.

Rossi has been calling for Rutherford to be fired recently.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
C'mon. No one actually posted his little reporter costume?

CDEc1wUUsAAW4Xc.jpg

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Oh my dear Lord. I truly have loved the Penguins for the past 20 years and have been to as many games as anybody in that time. But if the team is going to continue to be this frustrating on the ice, You better believe that **** like this will keep me intrigued! ****ing hilarious.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's been a lot more than snarky.

Rossi has been calling for Rutherford to be fired recently.

There are plenty of reasons to get into a pissing contest with a reporter. His calling for you to be fired isn't one of them. I think that's what you were alluding to when you asked how long Rutherford would last in places like Toronto or Montreal being thin skinned.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
There are plenty of reasons to get into a pissing contest with a reporter. His calling for you to be fired isn't one of them. I think that's what you were alluding to when you asked how long Rutherford would last in places like Toronto or Montreal being thin skinned.

I think it has more to do with Rossi needling him and trying to stir discontent before he made a single move as a general manager. His whole jilted lover act is obnoxious to us, imagine being around that daily.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00