Rutherford to Rossi: "You're a ****ing jerk. ... Your opinion is ****."

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
"Thanks for your support" is a telling comment though. WhereTF did he ever get the idea it was the media's job to support him? Hmmm.

Rossi is an undeniable hack and a **** hockey columnist but it definitely is not his job or any other reporter's job to "support the team" or its personnel in any way shape or form (other than generally pull for them to win). Their job is to report (which Rossi also does not do), not support.

Trib Media - the Official Newspaper of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What have we been saying all these years? This **** doesn't work. It's called objectivity and journalists don't have it if their employer is sponsoring the ****ing team they're supposed to write about.

You don't know what Rossi said to him to prompt the "thanks for you support" comments. Rossi was probably being antagonistic directly following a close loss and the combination of that with all the ******** Rossi has spewed all year set JR off. I applaud him.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
"Thanks for your support" is a telling comment though. WhereTF did he ever get the idea it was the media's job to support him? Hmmm.

Rossi is an undeniable hack and a **** hockey columnist but it definitely is not his job or any other reporter's job to "support the team" or its personnel in any way shape or form (other than generally pull for them to win). Their job is to report (which Rossi also does not do), not support.

Trib Media - the Official Newspaper of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What have we been saying all these years? This **** doesn't work. It's called objectivity and journalists don't have it if their employer is sponsoring the ****ing team they're supposed to write about.

Morons. All of them.

3241905-111palpatine.jpg

Could you imagine our current management in NY, or Toronto, or any Canadian market for that matter?

They wouldn't last a season under that kind of scrutiny...

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual. The only difference in this case is that it was written about, even though the exchange was not an interview and not on the record. That is something I have never done and will never do. If I do, I will personally write all of you refund checks for your subscriptions.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/20/column-stripes-have-penguins-seeing-stars/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You don't see a team official get that angry and make things that public unless things are very wrong. I'll be honest, I love that he snapped on Rossi, but I'm even more concerned now that people in places of power within the organization are publicly losing it.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Gotta say JR is the man now also the comment section on that article is awesome.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's another reporter in any market that's as equally reviled by fans, players, management and ownership. Maybe someone like Don Brennan in Ottawa, but he's never been presented as credible.

Rossi's entire schtick from this past summer until now has been so bizarre. It's like reading the diary of someone descending into madness.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

The comment said:

I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual. The only difference in this case is that it was written about, even though the exchange was not an interview and not on the record. That is something I have never done and will never do. If I do, I will personally write all of you refund checks for your subscriptions.

I don't like DK, but I honestly have no clue how Rossi has a job.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
"I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual. The only difference in this case is that it was written about, even though the exchange was not an interview and not on the record. That is something I have never done and will never do. If I do, I will personally write all of you refund checks for your subscriptions."

DK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So JR got off an elevator, saw Rossi, and unloaded on him without being prompted?

Am I the only one who finds that odd?

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You don't know what Rossi said to him to prompt the "thanks for you support" comments. Rossi was probably being antagonistic directly following a close loss and the combination of that with all the ******** Rossi has spewed all year set JR off. I applaud him.

I'm not taking sides here, I'm saying it's pretty clear Rutherford takes offense at all the criticism he's gotten and that was a peculiar choice of words he used. I don't think it's coincidence. At all.

Either way I want them both to disappear from the Pittsburgh sports landscape forever. They're both worthless, but Rutherford is a much better GM than Rossi is a columnist -- I will say that.

Could you imagine our current management in NY, or Toronto, or any Canadian market for that matter?

They wouldn't last a season under that kind of scrutiny...

Nope. They wouldn't.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not taking sides here, I'm saying it's pretty clear Rutherford takes offense at all the criticism he's gotten and that was a peculiar choice of words he used. I don't think it's coincidence. At all.

Either way I want them both to disappear from the Pittsburgh sports landscape forever. They're both worthless, but Rutherford is a much better GM than Rossi is a columnist -- I will say that.

Nope. They wouldn't.

I'm not either. I'm just in it for the entertainment value. :biglaugh:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
You don't see a team official get that angry and make things that public unless things are very wrong. I'll be honest, I love that he snapped on Rossi, but I'm even more concerned now that people in places of power within the organization are publicly losing it.

Dejan said this kind of stuff happens behind the scenes all the time. Only difference is reporters usually don't write about it. It was all off the record. Quite the backhand shot at Rossi by his old co-worker.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
So JR got,off an elevator, saw Rossi, and unloaded on him without being prompted?

I'm sure Rossi made some comment about how his lost love Shero never should have been fired, mumbling it under his breath just loud enough for JR to hear, in true angsty teenage girl fashion.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
So JR got,off an elevator, saw Rossi, and unloaded on him without being prompted?

Hopefully the whole management team is worried they will get canned if we don't get out of the first.

Hopefully ownership is actually thinking this.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The comment said:

I don't like DK, but I honestly have no clue how Rossi has a job.

Reporting something clearly not on the record . . . that's bad business.

Dejan said this kind of stuff happens behind the scenes all the time. Only difference is reporters usually don't write about it. It was all off the record. Quite the backhand shot at Rossi by his old co-worker.

There was nothing backhanded about it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I don't really buy that. Not with that much vinegar anyway. Sure, officials might not like certain guys and will avoid them or whatever, but to lose it on a guy? Nah, I don't think that kinda stuff happens very often. You'd hear about it a lot more. Journalistic integrity is dead, guys want page hits, and controversy gets page hits.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So JR got off an elevator, saw Rossi, and unloaded on him without being prompted?

If I believed it was unprovoked, I might find it odd. But I always felt that if I saw Rossi walk past me I would want to say similar things. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Rossi has a pretty hateable face, not odd at all.

He acts like a little weasel, but the scene seems odd in my head I suppose.

It just seems weird that JR sees Rossi walk past, then starts swearing at him. Rossi probably gave him a smug little smile and that set JR off. I could see that making him go off.

Rossi running off to write his little article is so pathetic and unprofessional as well. But I have come to expect that kind of behavior from him.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't really buy that. Not with that much vinegar anyway. Sure, officials might not like certain guys and will avoid them or whatever, but to lose it on a guy? Nah, I don't think that kinda stuff happens very often. You'd hear about it a lot more. Journalistic integrity is dead, guys want page hits, and controversy gets page hits.

Apparently you have not seen the dozens of videos I have of coaches and managers from various sports completely loosing their **** at reporters while on camera.

It does happen all the time, and usually the coach/manager is not long for their position with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad