Rutherford to Rossi: "You're a ****ing jerk. ... Your opinion is ****."

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
After exiting a media elevator and while walking with other reporters to the Penguins' dressing room, Rutherford addressed this columnist, a frequent critic since his hiring last June, in an obscenity-laced diatribe.

“Thanks for your support,†Rutherford said repeatedly.

“You're a (expletive) jerk,†Rutherford said repeatedly.

Rutherford followed the jerk comment with a suggestion to “go sell ice cream now,†then a challenge to look him in the eye, which I did while explaining my role as Trib Total Media's lead sports columnist.

My role is to provide opinion.

“Well, your opinion is (expletive),†Rutherford said

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/8209495-74/rutherford-penguins-final

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
5955i31C69D90DAB13FCB

whoa

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Rossi revealed he doesn't even watch the games - per a recent tweet, he said he missed the past 2 games... and we're supposed to trust his opinion on how to run a hockey team?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Rossi revealed he doesn't even watch the games - per a recent tweet, he said he missed the past 2 games... and we're supposed to trust his opinion on how to run a hockey team?

Well yeah, he's the leading sports writer on the trib for a reason...

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
That column was a tough read. Rushed and clearly written in anger, like a slighted school boy angrily tattling on his classmate to the teacher.

With that said, that is absolutely unacceptable behavior from the leader of hockey operations. Berating an opinionated member of the media is over the line. That senile old fool should be fired as soon as possible.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This made my ****ing night!

Kudoso to Rutherford for calling a spade a spade, and to Rossi for sticking our 9-headed-monster-management-team's poor performance in in fans and ownership's face.
Yup. :handclap:

This is like taking a seat and watching Nazi Germany and Russia fight it out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, short of punching him in the face, I love JR for this.

It doesn't make up for him bending over for the Despres deal, but I gained a bit of respect for the guy after reading this. Sure seems like a guy frustrated as all Hell. Maybe things are even worse behind closed doors than we thought. He sure seemed determined to get the point across that it wasn't his decision to move Despres for Lovejoy without saying as much, and while he is the main GM, kind of makes you wonder just how much power he even has at all.

I dunno. The front office still needs to be gutted, but Rossi's a ******** and good on JR for calling him out on it to his face.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
"Thanks for your support" is a telling comment though. WhereTF did he ever get the idea it was the media's job to support him? Hmmm.

Rossi is an undeniable hack and a **** hockey columnist but it definitely is not his job or any other reporter's job to "support the team" or its personnel in any way shape or form (other than generally pull for them to win). Their job is to report (which Rossi also does not do), not support.

Trib Media - the Official Newspaper of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What have we been saying all these years? This **** doesn't work. It's called objectivity and journalists don't have it if their employer is sponsoring the ****ing team they're supposed to write about.

Morons. All of them.

3241905-111palpatine.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What a joke Rossi is. The fact ANYONE looks to him for any sort of opinion is downright baffling.

I can only imagine the lil worm cries himself to sleep at night knowing how big of a joke he is.

Good on Rutherford.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would like to reassign Rutherford from GM to media relations ASAP.

I second that. Holy ****. :laugh:

"Thanks for your support" is a telling comment though. WhereTF did he ever get the idea it was the media's job to support him? Hmmm.

Rossi is an undeniable hack and a **** hockey columnist but it definitely is not his job or any other reporter's job to "support the team" or its personnel in any way shape or form (other than generally pull for them to win). Their job is to report (which Rossi also does not do), not support.

Trib Media - the Official Newspaper of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What have we been saying all these years? This **** doesn't work. It's called objectivity and journalists don't have it if their employer is sponsoring the ****ing team they're supposed to write about.

Morons. All of them.

3241905-111palpatine.jpg

That 'thank you for your support' reminds me of someone saying 'bless your heart' in lieu of saying 'go **** yourself'. JR apparently went with both. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00