News Article: Rutherford has resigned - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think you're more hopeful in that assessment than actually knowing. He has a wife and kid now. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that him wanting to go to FLA full time would be such an off the wall theory. This was actually brought up last year I believe.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@Richard how legit is what you were saying in the other thread about Malkin?

If Malkin wanted out wouldn’t the Pens figure out a way to do so after trying a last stitch effort to get him too stay

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
FLA right now has a great opinion of us, Horny has captivated Miami with his early play this season. lol

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Except we have no idea how long things have been going on for behind the scenes. It could have been an issue for a year or so.

Also you're right, GM's can't be traded. All they can do is resign if they aren't ok with how upper management is taking things.

We have no idea about a lot of moves that happen before hand or the circumstances that led to them, but nearly everyone on this board has jumped to conclusions one way or another before so it is weird to me that this is the one move that would warrant such caution. If a message board is good for anything, it is reactions to what is known at the time and not necessarily consideration of other possible factors that lead to moves.

How is this any different than if a player in the last year of a multiyear contract quit a few games into the season? Players when they are unhappy can complain to the media, be grumpy and moody, not participate in activities, half ass shifts and they can hold out in some cases. This is none of those things, just a break in the middle of the season and in my opinion, worse than any of the above. I am surprised by the reactions because I know from the past that most people on this board would view players exhibiting any of the above actions in a negative light while Rutherford has mostly escaped any such judgements.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think you're more hopeful in that assessment than actually knowing. He has a wife and kid now. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that him wanting to go to FLA full time would be such an off the wall theory. This was actually brought up last year I believe.
Being hypothetically possible and being real are two different things.

There is zero actual evidence to suggest Evgeni Malkin wants out of Pittsburgh.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
@Richard how legit is what you were saying in the other thread about Malkin?

If Malkin wanted out wouldn’t the Pens figure out a way to do so after trying a last stitch effort to get him too stay

he would...even if the Pens approached him, he’d probably agree to go if they didn’t want him anymore...I mean knowing they were trying to trade him (and maybe didn’t get the right return) could account for his play in the bubble and the early part of the season (if you consider it quitting on the team,I don’t) but it still doesn’t account for why JR just up and quit 7 games into the season...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
FLA right now has a great opinion of us, Horny has captivated Miami with his early play this season. lol

to trade Geno there, there’d have to be the right return...I’m not sure they could simply accept Huberdeau, a winger back...they need a player who can play 2C and they don’t have one in the system (sorry Blueger fans)...why would FLA want to give up a young promising center in their system, if there is one, for 34 year old Geno...I have a hard time wrapping my head around a Geno trade that works where the Pens are still professing they’re not in rebuild mode and want to win the next 2-3 seasons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
to trade Geno there, there’d have to be the right return...I’m not sure they could simply accept Huberdeau, a winger back...they need a player who can play 2C and they don’t have one in the system (sorry Blueger fans)...why would FLA want to give up a young promising center in their system, if there is one, for 34 year old Geno...I have a hard time wrapping my head around a Geno trade that works where the Pens are still professing they’re not in rebuild mode and want to win the next 2-3 seasons

Lundell would be the piece.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The idea that Rutherford was going to trade Malkin after Malkin was a monster in 2020 after being called out doesn’t jive with me, because Sid would be livid. The idea that he was going to trade both Malkin and Letang is frankly unbelievable. As in not believable.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lundell would be the piece.

Why would Florida do that? Also, he’s not ready to play rn so it’s not going to advance the goal of winning during Sid’s last few years if your purported goal is to win now

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
he would...even if the Pens approached him, he’d probably agree to go if they didn’t want him anymore...I mean knowing they were trying to trade him (and maybe didn’t get the right return) could account for his play in the bubble and the early part of the season (if you consider it quitting on the team,I don’t) but it still doesn’t account for why JR just up and quit 7 games into the season...

Yeah I guess wrong thread as it wasn’t about JR more about Malkin.

I doubt the Pens approached Malkin so what I was asking @Richard I guess is did Malkin ask for a trade in the off season and if so why is he still here. I imagine for him a deal could be worked out with enough time with the delayed start.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Being hypothetically possible and being real are two different things.

There is zero actual evidence to suggest Evgeni Malkin wants out of Pittsburgh.
If your beautiful wife is there, your kid currently is there and you save a ton of money in taxes, with much better weather (except that pesky humidity), that doesn't sound like a bad scenario. I could see that happening very easily.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I guess wrong thread as it wasn’t about JR more about Malkin.

I doubt the Pens approached Malkin so what I was asking @Richard I guess is did Malkin ask for a trade in the off season and if so why is he still here. I imagine for him a deal could be worked out with enough time with the delayed start.
Maybe they move him this summer.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If your beautiful wife is there, your kid currently is there and you save a ton of money in taxes, with much better weather (except that pesky humidity), that doesn't sound like a bad scenario. I could see that happening very easily.
But there is no EVIDENCE.

Seriously, there isn't even a media report out there saying Rutherford was going to trade Malkin or that Malkin wants out. In fact, we have multiple reports refuting the idea that a trade was at the center of this, even one involving Letang. The only person suggesting Malkin was going to be traded is a guy on a message board who has no credibility.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Isn’t Rossi weirdly connected to Malkin? If there’s one area where he may be able to be trusted it’s there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

They closed his favorite Country Buffet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My complete speculation on why JR quit:

1. I do think the ownership was meddling to a degree that JR didn't like. I don't think that means "I want to trade Letang and they won't let me", but I do think they had their hands in somewhat and JR didn't like it.
2. I think the bigger reason was that being a GM during a pandemic just sucks. He doesn't travel with the team, so he can't meet face to face with players. With how much roster turnover that has happened in the last year, I can easily see how that would drag down JR's morale. He has even admitted that the last 11 months has been really challenging for him.

JR may claim he's not quitting because of the pandemic, but I think it's more likely that it's something small that's finally pushed him over the edge but he was pushed up to that edge by the pandemic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1. I do think the ownership was meddling to a degree that JR didn't like. I don't think that means "I want to trade Letang and they won't let me", but I do think they had their hands in somewhat and JR didn't like it.
2. I think the bigger reason was that being a GM during a pandemic just sucks. He doesn't travel with the team, so he can't meet face to face with players. With how much roster turnover that has happened in the last year, I can easily see how that would drag down JR's morale. He has even admitted that the last 11 months has been really challenging for him.

JR may claim he's not quitting because of the pandemic, but I think it's more likely that it's something small that's finally pushed him over the edge but he was pushed up to that edge by the pandemic.

If ownership wasn’t meddling after his trade paths over the last few years I’d seriously question our ownership.

He turned Brassard, 1st, 3rd, Sheahan, Wilson, Gustassvon, Reaves, Sundqvist, 1st, 4th, 4th, 2nd into McCann and 2 mil in dead cap.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
But there is no EVIDENCE.

Seriously, there isn't even a media report out there saying Rutherford was going to trade Malkin or that Malkin wants out. In fact, we have multiple reports refuting the idea that a trade was at the center of this, even one involving Letang. The only person suggesting Malkin was going to be traded is a guy on a message board who has no credibility.

What if, it had nothing to do with Malkin beyond maybe Sid/Geno taking a stand on JR trying to trade Letang?

Because I can see that....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If ownership wasn’t meddling after his trade paths over the last few years I’d seriously question our ownership.

I think there is an acceptable level of meddling for JR to be doing. Having influence on coaches, GMs and potential advisors may be a little too far in the eyes of JR, though.

It's not like they haven't done this before. Know why Tocchet was hired? Because the ownership made JR hire him as an assistant coach.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Maybe Moorehouse was like you have to Zoom Meeting me every other day so I know what your doing and Jim was like I'm not doing that its a waste of time. And it ended eventually with him quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad