News Article: Rutherford has resigned - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t love how he ran the team really but big picture I’m very grateful we had Shero. Definitely left a lot on the table but we could’ve dicked around and wasted prime years of 87 and 71 like Edmonton is doing now with McDavid and Drai.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah I hated his entire philosophy roughly post-Hossa-signing-failure. I'm not saying he was equivalent to his pet coach in stupidity... Shero strikes me as actually quite smart and very plugged into the finer details of the game. But I think he had a completely backwards vision for this core, for whatever reason and it showed.

Frankly he hasn't done much since he left to convince me I'm wrong.

Idk I think his time in New Jersey has lined up pretty well with what he did in Pittsburgh. Made some great value trades, but got married to a bad coach and lost his job because of it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Idk I think his time in New Jersey has lined up pretty well with what he did in Pittsburgh. Made some great value trades, but got married to a bad coach and lost his job because of it.

I don't think that's a bad assessment on your part but I mean if you keep on making the same dumb mistakes how good are you, really, at your job?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think that's a bad assessment on your part but I mean if you keep on making the same dumb mistakes how good are you, really, at your job?

I don't think anyone denies that is Shero's biggest weakness, though. But in the right atmosphere, his strengths can end up outweighing those issues.

I don't think it's fair to try and brush away what Shero did as GM. His loyalty to bad coaches was a serious fault, but I don't think that outweighs what else he did.

I originally said that I think Shero would still be the Penguins GM today had he fired Bylsma earlier, but then I realized he would probably just have promoted Hynes to be the Penguins coach, which wouldn't have been an improvement.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I mean... I RESPECT what Shero did and don't regret him being the GM. He's clearly a smart guy and has some good ideas about the game. I wouldn't try to take away what he did here because he DID do some good and made some desperately needed changes that brought them up to speed. His modernization of the franchise is maybe his biggest contribution.

I just don't think he ended up being the RIGHT GM, here. Wasn't bold enough. Had the wrong idea how to handle the core. For as much bad as I have to say about JR it should be illustrative that I preferred his tenure here over Ray Shero.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t love how he ran the team really but big picture I’m very grateful we had Shero. Definitely left a lot on the table but we could’ve dicked around and wasted prime years of 87 and 71 like Edmonton is doing now with McDavid and Drai.

Shero was the right guy for 2006-2010 but when you have success that soon biases start to cloud your judgement. 2011-2014 was a mess.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Shero is a good GM for a rebuilding club that needs someone to overhaul things, but he's not a good fit for a contending club or one on the downside. I too think the Shero hate here is ridiculously overblown, but mostly too because I think we haven't had a bad GM since, oh, say, the 80s, so few of us (myself included) are really aware of how bad it can get.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Shero was the right guy for 2006-2010 but when you have success that soon biases start to cloud your judgement. 2011-2014 was a mess.

Still he drafted Murray & Jake who were HUGE influences in our cups.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Shero is a good GM for a rebuilding club that needs someone to overhaul things, but he's not a good fit for a contending club or one on the downside. I too think the Shero hate here is ridiculously overblown, but mostly too because I think we haven't had a bad GM since, oh, say, the 80s, so few of us are really aware of how bad it can get.

Yeah they've been lucky TBH.

Shero always had a bit TOO much of the "old boys club" dinosaur brain when it came to his vision of the sport. I get the distinct feeling that watching like 4/5 guys on the ice collapse to the house and everyone going down to block a shot in like game 10 of the regular season gave Ray Shero a chub. He probably called guys "warriors" and stuff.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Picking the right coach is going to be a really big part in whoever's next doing well. Consistently picking the wrong coach is therefore a bit of a deal breaker to me right now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Picking the right coach is going to be a really big part in whoever's next doing well. Consistently picking the wrong coach is therefore a bit of a deal breaker to me right now.

Well it literally means the difference between going out with a whimper or a potential bang. So...

No pressure, mystery GM!

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He also fleeced San Jose into taking Tyler Kennedy for a 2nd round pick that turned into our current starting goalie

He drafted Teddy too. Plus Morrow which led to the Jake pick. Also Maatta and that other guy who we will not mention lol but we got Dumo with “that” guy & Sutter who JR turned into Bonino

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Another thing that a GM can/could be rated on is their ability to fire a coach that they hired. Shero not firing Dan Bylsma was a huge mistake.

Reactions: Jacob

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Another thing that a GM can/could be rated on is their ability to fire a coach that they hired. Shero not firing Dan Bylsma was a huge mistake.
you might as well let David Morehouse be GM if you are looking for a GM who doesn't have scars

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Shero got the big stars locked up which is good. Got Malkin over which was a weird situation that he navigated well. Cultivated an atmosphere that helped Malkin decide to stay instead of wanting out.. though I think mostly that’s to Malkin’s credit.

Drafting wasn’t great and taking d-men that were unanimously not BPA was dumb. Bylsma certainly deserved a grace period after the Cup but 2012 would’ve been any sane GM’s last straw.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shero got the big stars locked up which is good. Got Malkin over which was a weird situation that he navigated well. Cultivated an atmosphere that helped Malkin decide to stay instead of wanting out.. though I think mostly that’s to Malkin’s credit.

Drafting wasn’t great and taking d-men that were unanimously not BPA was dumb. Bylsma certainly deserved a grace period after the Cup but 2012 would’ve been any sane GM’s last straw.
I remember LA stealing him over from Russia after Geno fled his team secretly.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Do you think if we had another GM Crosby would have demanded $12 million AAV?

You guys are giving him credit for things he has little no impact on.

We are really glorifying Shero here. It’s....odd. Sid and Geno went into god mode in 2009. When an ancient Bill Guerin is your next best forward after those two, I think that speaks volumes. They won a cup despite Shero.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad