Friedman: Rutherford/Allvin done assessing Canucks - Everyone available except Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So is Pettersson pretty much locked in as a winger now moving forward? Or is he still a work in progress?

Just a year ago this whole thing was being built around him. Now it seems like he's more of a complimentary player

If I were them, I would be low-key floating that guy at the draft trying to get in a position to nab one of the top three picks this year. Because instead he's now on a pretty unfriendly bridge that's going to balloon into a $9m AAV payment three years from now when he hits 26.

He's been playing center for most of the season, and is back to form going over PPG over his last ~20 games while controlling play.

Trading Pettersson is absolutely not the solution. If Pettersson isn't the Canucks 1C of the future, they're dead in the water no matter what they do. There is no guarantee any of the top picks in the 2022 draft will be better than Petey. I don't think Shane Wright's upside is any higher, nor could you say the same for Cooley or Savoie.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's definitely the right move to build around Hughes/Petey/Demko IMO, 3 very good young players. Hard to see them trading Hoglander or Podz either - not that either are untouchable, but they're quality young players - part of the future unless it's a really good deal.

You have to imagine the price for Boeser, Horvat or Miller would be very high. All very good players who are effectively signed beyond this year - Horvat and Miller under contract next year (then UFAs), Boeser an RFA this offseason, but obviously still under their control.

IMO Garland and Pearson would be the most likely quick deals - both solid players with positive trade value, but not key pieces for a rebuild. Much more affordable for other teams than Boeser/Horvat/Miller - you can make a small win-now deal for Garland or Pearson, that's an easy win for both teams, but trading stars is always a bigger, more complex deal, and all of Boeser/Horvat/Miller are star-ish level players. My bet is that if the Nucks make any notable deals before the trade deadline (i.e. not "X for a 4th" type deals), it'll be Garland or Pearson going out (or both).

I'd say the entire defence outside of Hughes has either minimal or negative value. OEL and Myers both have very significantly negative value - neither are very good, and both are on bad contracts. The Nucks would have to pay a fair bit to dump either - especially OEL, who is on one of the worse albatross contracts in the league. Doesn't make much sense to pay to dump OEL/Myers unless they're contending, which they aren't. Then Hamonic and Schenn have about neutral value - low end dmen, but on better deals. If the Nucks trade any dmen, it's because they're making room for better dmen that they hopefully acquire - nobody is giving up anything of note for any Nucks dman but Hughes, who is rightfully off the table.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
just for clarification,

This was Friedman who reported it not Rick ...it was reported on the Rick Dhaliwal show which where the confusion might stem. I hear your point though
Oh okay fair enough.
Friedman is as close as you can get to a GM loudspeaker so if I were a player I can understand a player taking to heart more than, say, an HFBoards speculation topic.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't think Horvat is a good captain. I think he was too tied to Green, and lost the room.

Always fascinated me when people have opinions like this that would warrant them being in the room to have an informed opinion.

I agree Horvat isnt the "alpha" type and he doesnt play with the same fire as someone like Miller but how can we form opinions like he isnt a good captain and he lost the room?

What would we even base that on as fans?

Did someone not high five him after a goal?

Nobody showed up to his Halloween party?

Feb 19, 2018
Always fascinated me when people have opinions like this that would warrant them being in the room to have an informed opinion.

I agree Horvat isnt the "alpha" type and he doesnt play with the same fire as someone like Miller but how can we form opinions like he isnt a good captain and he lost the room?

Bo Callahan. None of his teammates showed up for his Bday. Red flag city!

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Who I think goes.

TDL
Boeser
Motte
Hoglander
Possibly Horvat

Draft
Horvat if not at TDL
Dick

Miller stays till next season if Horvat goes.

Miller goes at Draft if they decide to keep Horvat.

Reactions: zcaptain

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
So is Pettersson pretty much locked in as a winger now moving forward? Or is he still a work in progress?

Just a year ago this whole thing was being built around him. Now it seems like he's more of a complimentary player.

If I were them, I would be low-key floating that guy at the draft trying to get in a position to nab one of the top three picks this year. Because instead he's now on a pretty unfriendly bridge that's going to balloon into a $9m AAV payment three years from now when he hits 26.

Pettersson will likely stay at center long-term. He's had a rough season but over the past couple weeks we're seeing a lot of flashes. It looks like he's getting closer to becoming his old self, and that's a #1 C.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It's definitely the right move to build around Hughes/Petey/Demko IMO, 3 very good young players. Hard to see them trading Hoglander or Podz either - not that either are untouchable, but they're quality young players - part of the future unless it's a really good deal.

You have to imagine the price for Boeser, Horvat or Miller would be very high. All very good players who are effectively signed beyond this year - Horvat and Miller under contract next year (then UFAs), Boeser an RFA this offseason, but obviously still under their control.

IMO Garland and Pearson would be the most likely quick deals - both solid players with positive trade value, but not key pieces for a rebuild. Much more affordable for other teams than Boeser/Horvat/Miller - you can make a small win-now deal for Garland or Pearson, that's an easy win for both teams, but trading stars is always a bigger, more complex deal, and all of Boeser/Horvat/Miller are star-ish level players. My bet is that if the Nucks make any notable deals before the trade deadline (i.e. not "X for a 4th" type deals), it'll be Garland or Pearson going out (or both).

I'd say the entire defence outside of Hughes has either minimal or negative value. OEL and Myers both have very significantly negative value - neither are very good, and both are on very bad contracts. The Nucks would have to pay a fair bit to dump either (especially OEL), which doesn't make much sense unless they're contending, which they aren't. Then Hamonic and Schenn have about neutral value - low end dmen, but on better deals. If the Nucks trade any dmen, it's because they're making room for better dmen that they hopefully acquire - nobody is giving up anything of note for any Nucks dman but Hughes, who is rightfully off the table.

As a Canuck fan who has seen pretty much every game that Boeser and Garland have played for Vancouver all I can say is this,

Id rather have Garland than Boeser if I had to choose one or the other.

Nothing against Boeser, I just dont like his pace or motor and his average skating.

Garland is small but he is tenacious and very smart and very skilled.

I think his game will be more crucial to have in a best of 7 series than what Boeser would offer.

I would be more disappointed if we traded Garland over Boeser especially since Garland is on a much much better contract.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Horvat has been a captain before as well, many Canuck fans think a captain should step up and fight or their not a good leader. It’s ridiculous that too many Nuck fans bought into that ridiculous false idea.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Horvat has been a captain before as well, many Canuck fans think a captain should step up and fight or their not a good leader. It’s ridiculous that too many Nuck fans bought into that ridiculous false idea.

Luongo was the worst Captain, never even dropped the gloves once while wearing the C ;)

Not sure why Canuck fans think a Captain needs to do all that to be a good leader especially since our previous Captain were Sedin and Naslund.

Reactions: iFan

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I base my comments Re: Horvat not being a good captain from watching the games, and press conferences. There is very little fire or passion from him good or bad. I don't see him doing anything to light a fire under this team when it needs one. He rarely steps up when we need someone to step up. I just don't see the leadership. I watch the press conferences with Green and Horvat, both towing the same line, both incredibly passive. My opinion is that Horvat drank the Koolaid, but many on the team didn't. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Who I think goes.

TDL
Boeser
Motte
Hoglander
Possibly Horvat

Draft
Horvat if not at TDL
Dick

Miller stays till next season if Horvat goes.

Miller goes at Draft if they decide to keep Horvat.
I agree 100%. I think Myers could be dealt too, as well as poolman.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I base my comments Re: Horvat not being a good captain from watching the games, and press conferences. There is very little fire or passion from him good or bad. I don't see him doing anything to light a fire under this team when it needs one. He rarely steps up when we need someone to step up. I just don't see the leadership. I watch the press conferences with Green and Horvat, both towing the same line, both incredibly passive. My opinion is that Horvat drank the Koolaid, but many on the team didn't. Just my opinion though.

you have no idea what you’re talking about…

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Who wants motte? What do you offer?

Instead of saturating this thread with 100’s of miller/horvat/garland offers (we already have baked up that tree). Going to be the same teams and players/picks just in slightly different order.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Who wants motte? What do you offer?

Instead of saturating this thread with 100’s of miller/horvat/garland offers (we already have baked up that tree). Going to be the same teams and players/picks just in slightly different order.

Latest on Motte: No extension talk has been had with the Canucks. Allvin already said they arent going to let people walk for nothing if they have value. So im guessing Canucks have offers for Motte and they will pull the trigger closer to deadline hence why they havent started extension talks.

Reactions: CanuckCity

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'd take that deal from Canucks pov.
So would i. I'm really concerned that he doesn't come back given he is Russian

Not to get too off topic but this easily could become a situation where Russian players are forbidden to leave to play in NA. Some teams have to really concerned how next year will play out

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If Schnieder and Kakko are off limits, then Miller would be too.

I'd take that deal for Horvat.
Id do Horvat for one of Kakko or Schnieder and a pick

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Well either Horvat is playing injured this year or what he's saying has some validity. Horvat has been a no-show this year. I'm often shocked Horvat was even dressed - dude has been doing nothing. Boeser is in the same lala land, floating around and waiting for a play to magically happen right in front of him

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I've watched every second of every game for all of Horvat's tenure as captain.

Boudreau touches on it here as well: Boudreau says Canucks' 'woe is me' mentality must change - Sportsnet.ca

When Shi* goes sideways, we go passive. That has dogged this team since Linden was captain. This team lacks fire. I feel that starts with the captain. I am 100% confident a guy like Miller would be a far better leader for this group.

Anyway, my comment originated from that fact that I don't feel Horvat being captain impacts his tradabilty.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Schneider is not being moved for a player that has only 1.5 years on his deal. He’s stepped in and is looking like a future top pair defenseman. Maybe before he made the NHL I could see him being moved but even with our RHD depth Schneider isn’t going anywhere unless it’s for a true top talent that you can’t turn down. There’s a reason why every team is trying to get at him right now. I can’t even remember the last time a Schneider level prospect was traded
Did you just start following hockey with no knowledge of what happened prior to 2022 Or do you have the memory of a goldfish? You don’t have to look far back in history to find a prospect of Schneider’s level that’s been traded.

the most recent is not even 4 months ago when Peyton krebs was traded. There’s also suzuki, brannstorm etc

Basically any time a star player has been traded, a schneider level prospect has been involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad