Rumor: Russo : The Wild have a lot of interest in Luke Schenn

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Are they? Looking over past draft classes they seem to come around about as often as superstar forwards.
No, they don't. Hughes, Makar and Fox are some of the only handful defensemen in the league with elite passing ability and skating ability. While there are way more superstar forwards...heck Canucks found another superstar forward in the making in Kuzmenko just from free agency. You can't get a Hughes or a Makar from free agency.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
No, they don't. Hughes, Makar and Fox are some of the only handful defensemen in the league with elite passing ability and skating ability. While there are way more superstar forwards...heck Canucks found another superstar forward in the making in Kuzmenko just from free agency. You can't get a Hughes or a Makar from free agency.

Elite passing and skating wasn't what he said. He said number 1 dman...which doesnt always mean "elite" passing and skating.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Elite passing and skating wasn't what he said. He said number 1 dman...which doesnt always mean "elite" passing and skating.
Hughes is definitely a number 1 defenseman. I don't know what you think Hughes is?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Minnesota seems obsessed with grit so this makes sense. I wonder if it’s because some of their top players are shorter dudes(Kap/Zuc/Spurgeon) and they’re worried that teams will try to be physical with them in the playoffs so they’d rather be the initiators themselves.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Surprised Schenn hasnt been traded yet. He is cheap in terms of cap.

Van should also move him soon because he plays such a tough , physical game that he can easily get hurt at any point.

Dude was a wrecking ball vs Chicago a couple of games ago. Straight bullied them , had 6 hits.

Super solid stay at home 5-6 Dman.

Bring him along for a 7 game series and let him ground and pound the other teams stars that by game 4-5-6-7, they will put up less of a fight .

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't say Hughes wasnt a #1. I simply said that #1 Dmen are not any more rare than Superstar 100 point+/year forwards.

Not even sure he is a real #1. You have to be able to, you know, defend, to be a #1 defenseman. Last I checked Hughes qualifies more as a fourth forward. Maybe that's changed lately though.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Troll???? they have been looking for a top 6 C for like 5 years.
Yeah they have, yet they have such organizational center depth that Jack McBain decided not to sign and forced a trade to Arizona of all places where he knew he could play. Hartman, JEE, Steel, Rossi, Gaudreau are more of a center by committee but it's hard to argue with their record the past 18 months. Not to mention this coming draft is deep at center. Would I take Petterson, Miller and a signed Horvat over the Wild's centers? Hell yeah, but I wouldn't trade places in the standings.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Surprised Schenn hasnt been traded yet. He is cheap in terms of cap.

Van should also move him soon because he plays such a tough , physical game that he can easily get hurt at any point.

Dude was a wrecking ball vs Chicago a couple of games ago. Straight bullied them , had 6 hits.

Super solid stay at home 5-6 Dman.

Bring him along for a 7 game series and let him ground and pound the other teams stars that by game 4-5-6-7, they will put up less of a fight .
It makes no sense to trade him yet. Teams are waiting to see if they will be an a playoff push at the deadline and they can get a bigger haul with a bidding war. Also, Tocchet is a big fan of Schenn and will surely want him as long as possible.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
So your saying at the very least they have equal value.

Except that Hughes has considerably more raw talent around him that Kaprizov...and yet he cannot seem to impact team performance in the way that Kaprizov is able to.

So no - I wouldnt say that Quinn Hughes and Kap are equal in value.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Tocchet called his team soft last night after the loss. You would think that Schenn would be the type of guy that he would want to hang onto but....I guess with Free agency looming, they are going to try to get what they can.
He’s a replacement level player in a very strong RHD position. Falling in love with players and keeping them instead of selling high is exactly what has gotten the Canucks in trouble.

Deal him and then resign him if you like th e player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota seems obsessed with grit so this makes sense. I wonder if it’s because some of their top players are shorter dudes(Kap/Zuc/Spurgeon) and they’re worried that teams will try to be physical with them in the playoffs so they’d rather be the initiators themselves.
Which is crazy, but you’re not wrong. Reaves, Foligno are tough as nails, and vg fighters. Middleton, Hartman and Duhaime can fight. Even little Mason Shaw and Connor Dewar will drop the gloves and do ok. All of those player, plus Greenway, are very physical. Fighting prowess and toughness should be the last thing that Guerin should worry about.

What they need is a top 6 C, but they have zero cap space to accommodate one past this year.

Except that Hughes has considerably more raw talent around him that Kaprizov...and yet he cannot seem to impact team performance in the way that Kaprizov is able to.

Hughes is younger, but that’s about it. Kaprizov is definitely a better player right now.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

More talent on the Canucks….. like in the defence core ? Like that’s where ? Have you seen the standings ? The tire fire that is the Canucks. Not sure it’s an environment that is conductive to anyones best performance .

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
More talent on the Canucks….. like in the defence core ? Like that’s where ? Have you seen the standings ? The tire fire that is the Canucks. Not sure it’s an environment that is conductive to anyones best performance .

Well - EP is miles ahead of any center the Wild have...so was Horvat. Boeser while slow is still quite talented. Kuzmenko - OEL.

The Wild have Kaprizov, Ek, Boldy and an aging Zucc with a bunch of role players.

Brodin is about the only name worth mentioning on our Blue Line.

So yes - more raw talent on the Nucks for sure - they just for whatever reason cant put it together.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Well - EP is miles ahead of any center the Wild have...so was Horvat. Boeser while slow is still quite talented. Kuzmenko - OEL.

The Wild have Kaprizov, Ek, Boldy and an aging Zucc with a bunch of role players.

Brodin is about the only name worth mentioning on our Blue Line.

So yes - more raw talent on the Nucks for sure - they just for whatever reason cant put it together.
Did you just use OEL as an example of talent? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad