Rumor: Russo : The Wild have a lot of interest in Luke Schenn

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why though?

Schenn makes league minimum, stanley cup winner, leads the league in hits, playoff style player and a very solid 4-6 Right Shot Stay at home Dman.

Now Russo's to be believed?

This is a Minny leak so im not sure how credible or connected Russo is with them.

Vancouver side, we've heard all year that there is a lineup of teams wanting Schenn

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why though?

I suppose to shore up their penalty kill? Their unit was 25th in the league last year and in the middle of the pack this season. Jared Spurgeon is leading their D this year in shorthanded TOI and maybe they'd like to alleviate some of those minutes?

We'll see if it's a situation where they send out Matt Dumba (healthy scratch tonight) in a separate deal and bring in a replacement? Reminded a little of the 2000 Devils, they traded for Vladimir Malakhov then dealt away Lyle Odelein a few days later. Dallas was in a tough spot last year where they ideally didn't want to lose John Klingberg for nothing but would have to find a replacement. Sounded like they shopped Klingberg while simultaneously kicking the tires on Jeff Petry, but it ended up not making sense for them.

The nice thing about Schenn is his cap hit (850K) wouldn't preclude a team from making other deadline trades.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Schenn makes league minimum, stanley cup winner, leads the league in hits, playoff style player and a very solid 4-6 Right Shot Stay at home Dman.

This is a Minny leak so im not sure how credible or connected Russo is with them.

Vancouver side, we've heard all year that there is a lineup of teams wanting Schenn

Russo is Minnesota guy, when he says something about the team it's at the very least worth considering.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Russo is Minnesota guy, when he says something about the team it's at the very least worth considering.

Sounds like Russo is the Dhaliwal of Vancouver

As for the trade, i think it would take a 2nd/3rd round pick to pry Schenn out..

but with Rutherford saying he wants younger guys ( U24) over draft picks, I'm not sure which player for the Wild or their system fits that similar value of 2nd or 3rd round pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not sure why MN would need, or want, Schenn, except for the fact that he's dirt cheap. He is, at best, a RH Middleton who is 7 years older, and is a UFA.

Maybe as a short term fix for the right side if Dumba is moved out?

I could see Greenway/Beckman for Schenn, but it's not a must. They've got Goligoski sitting on the bench as is... Guerin is in love with toughness, so it's a possibility. Wish he was more in love with speed, and offense. I mean, they've got Reaves, Foligno, Duhaime, Middleton, Shaw, Dumba, Hartman, Dewar who can all fight. Do they really need another guy like that?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I could see Greenway/Beckman for Schenn, but it's not a must. They've got Goligoski sitting on the bench as is... Guerin is in love with toughness, so it's a possibility. Wish he was more in love with speed, and offense. I mean, they've got Reaves, Foligno, Duhaime, Middleton, Shaw, Dumba, Hartman, Dewar who can all fight. Do they really need another guy like that?
I don't know why you have to disrespect Kaprizov like that. He can fight as well!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not sure why MN would need, or want, Schenn, except for the fact that he's dirt cheap. He is, at best, a RH Middleton who is 7 years older, and is a UFA.

Maybe as a short term fix for the right side if Dumba is moved out?

That's the key for a cap restricted team like us - but also why I don't see us beating out offers from other teams. I think Schenn is going to bring the Canucks a really nice return and its going to be too rich for my taste.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think the Wild keep Dumba for post season depth and let him walk as an UFA this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad