GDT: Russia Vs Sweden | 12/30 @ 9:30PM | TSN/NHLN

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm going to say 4-3 Sweden. They're about equal at center and goal, deeper at wing, and much deeper on defense.

I'm hoping to see more from the Johansson - Bjornfot pairing today. I'm also hoping to see Soderblom continue to playing so well. The kid has been really fun to watch this tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really have no idea who wins this... definitely a must watch. The streak ending might actually be good for Sweden in the long run as it might be like a monkey on their back. I think Russia ends up in finals still despite what ever happens tonight.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Doesn't Sweden have a ridiculous round robin record in this tournament? I'll go with them, but it should be a close one

Reactions: Ginger Papa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Big Boy game. Like Sweden's D far more than Russia's. About time that Holtz and Raymond show why they were picked so high in the NHL draft. Askarov, too.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The latest loss was against the US December 31, 2006. Quite a lot has happened since and the guys playing tonight were barely out of diapers :laugh:
I assume that's the 2007 team:

upload_2020-12-30_11-52-0.png

That is a long time ago!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Big Boy game. Like Sweden's D far more than Russia's. About time that Holtz and Raymond show why they were picked so high in the NHL draft. Askarov, too.

They've been showing it since day one. They were excellent in the first two games. Holtz is getting chances but it's just not going in, and Raymond completely dominated the 2nd game. Just because they aren't blowing up shit teams for 6 points doesn't mean they're not proving it.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Still would like Holtz and Raymond to be separated. They have to much overlapping skills, and also tend to look for each other too much which make them easy to defend against...

Reactions: Macbanan

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Stopping 54 game winning streak should be a huge motivation for the Russians. We will have some more answers if Larionov can actually coach.
That streak means nothing. I would almost prefer to have it ended and move on. Sweden are still underdogs in this tourney, so if anything it would be disappointing for the Russians to lose...

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
It only means nothing to you and perhaps to some other Swedish supporters. Trust me, none of these kids on team Sweden want to be the players who lost on the streak that was built by several generations of Swedish hockey players. To them it means A LOT.

That streak means nothing. I would almost prefer to have it ended and move on. Sweden are still underdogs in this tourney, so if anything it would be disappointing for the Russians to lose...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking forward to this one. This game will be a much truer test to Team Russia than Austria, The Swedes are looking good this tournament to me but maybe Russia's best games are still to come. Also I am interested in watching the D core of Bjornfot, Soderstron and Broberg for Sweden. Man those are 3 nice players.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Where is it coming from? This is actually one of the best swedish teams on paper.

It's probably the best Swedish team on paper since their last gold medal, and that's with them missing the guys that would probably be their top 2 centers in Eklund and Henriksson.

There's probably 10 future NHLers on this squad at minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad