Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2021

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yes I do, Yan was good enough to play for US national team as well as Russia but got shunned by USA hockey after leaving for the Q and I don’t think Russia had much interest . Who knows with Shlain , was just wondering if there’s been interest from the Russian side as people think he has a chance to play for the US team next year

Just I meant that Yan was a decent prospect back in the days, but he was like "I will think about whether I want to represent US or Russia" and I think here the policy is pretty clear: if you're not sure if you want to represent Russia there are a lot of other talented guys, who are sure. And I won't be surprised if that is the situation with Shlain too.

Reactions: wings5

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
WJC camp roster:

GK
Artur Akhtyamov
Yaroslav Askarov
Vsevolod Skotnikov

D
Roman Bychkov
Daniil Chayka
Semyon Chistyakov
Alexander Kirpichnikov
Kirill Kirsanov
Yan Kuznetsov
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Ivan Rogov
Nikita Sedov
Yegor Shekhovtsov

FW
Mikhail Abramov
Yegor Afanasyev
Rodion Amirov
Zakhar Bardakov
Danil Bashkirov
Yegor Chinakhov
Vladislav Firstov
Arseniy Gritsyuk
Maxim Groshev
Marat Khusnutdinov
Takhir Mingachyov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Vasiliy Ponomaryov
Ilya Safonov
Yegor Spiridonov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
No Nikishin, no Knyazev. This D looks pretty young and... yeah, bad.

Also despite the previously announced Likhachyov, we have only Spiridonov as the right-handed option. I mean, it's not like Likhachyov would be a saviour, but maybe should've at least tried to play Beryozkin then at Karjala or maybe some other right-shot guy. Not to mention that I totally don't undertand what Shekhovtsov is doing there. And also not like I'm against inviting Kuznetsov and Firstov, but so much for Larionov's words about not inviting those, who don't play.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Also despite the previously announced Likhachyov, we have only Spiridonov as the right-handed option. I mean, it's not like Likhachyov would be a saviour, but maybe should've at least tried to play Beryozkin then at Karjala or maybe some other right-shot guy. Not to mention that I totally don't undertand what Shekhovtsov is doing there. And also not like I'm against inviting Kuznetsov and Firstov, but so much for Larionov's words about not inviting those, who don't play.

My beef with LArionov is that I see too much Bykov in him so far. I don't doubt his ability to motivate and/ot "unleash" the players, but I just don't see a thorough method nor in strategies/tactics nor in roster building and deployment. I fear he will also get figured out quick by other coaches and then what?

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
My beef with LArionov is that I see too much Bykov in him so far. I don't doubt his ability to motivate and/ot "unleash" the players, but I just don't see a thorough method nor in strategies/tactics nor in roster building and deployment. I fear he will also get figured out quick by other coaches and then what?

Here we might also need to remember that Larionov's assistants are Filatov and Golubovich, I think they got a lot of influence here as much more experienced coaches than Larionov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Here we might also need to remember that Larionov's assistants are Filatov and Golubovich, I think they got a lot of influence here as much more experienced coaches than Larionov.
The problem in this is that Larionov is still the head coach. I would rather see Golubovich leading the charge. While people are too busy drooling over Larionov, partially because of a famous name, they might overlook some issues. I hink Larionov might be too smart to show it, but he has quite an ego. He always had it as we should know from his history of conduct. How much he lets the way more experienced coaches run things I can't know, but still I am worried he won't let them do more than what would hurt his ego.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I really like Filatov. He seems to get so much out of his players.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Vadim Zherenko has been added to the camp roster, no one was cut though, which makes me nervous in terms of if our main goalie guy is fully healthy.

Edit: possibly I shouldn't be nervous though, as today is just the last day for additions and it would make sense to have one more goalie just in case of an injury or a failed covid test.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Vadim Zherenko has been added to the camp roster, no one was cut though, which makes me nervous in terms of if our main goalie guy is fully healthy.

Edit: possibly I shouldn't be nervous though, as today is just the last day for additions and it would make sense to have one more goalie just in case of an injury or a failed covid test.
Yes, the COVID testing makes me think it's better to have two full rosters there, just in case.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
3 d-men under 6ft for a tournament in Canada is a bit concerning. And who on earth is Shehovtsov?
1.Obviously nothing was done to get Nikishin cleared to play.

2.I could not care less about height. Look at the weights. They are way more important.

3.It's four 18 year olds on D that I am worried about more. But that is just what this D is, mediocre at best, despite the casual fans hype about how this is a good roster.

It is just as expected. No center depth, no solid D. It will be Askkarov save us every game. They will feast offensively on the depleted rosters and weaker nations, they will have a hard time winning against top competition. And they don't have Bragin anymore. Let's see if Larionov can do more than talk about four scoring lines and beautiful hockey when the weather gets rough.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Height = length of the stick. Defensemen with short sticks are a big deal, especially on PK.
You can play with a longer stick. Not that big of a deal. Also a guy like Mukhamadullin is surely tall enough, but I want to see him win physical battles with his weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad