Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2021

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
After the Finland game:

Liked: Amirov, Safonov, Groshev

Didn't like: defense
I might add some ol'man grumpiness.

Askarov was shaky at times, but that was the case for him in tha last WJC too. Propably the nerves of the first time on an even bigger stage. Nobody knew what to expect from the U20 team against men. Let's see where he goes from there. He rebouded from the WJC very well to the preformace of this season.

Defence is not only the thing of defencemen being less adequate. I am worried for Larionov's ability to build a defensive structure.

Happy for ma'boy Safonov. did not expect him to be that good. Tells me again how good the KHL actually is. On KHL level he is yet to get his feet under him and understand how to be more than not a liability. Other than that Chinakhov gets too much praise for the one beautiful goal, while he was often less effective throughout the game and on the PP. We all know he is a natural as a forward, he can storm in and score, but I'd like to see more of a thoughtful game.

That being said it was fun to watch the kids dare things. And oh yea, the big guns coming through is a good sign.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
After the Sweden game:

Liked: Askarov; Chistyakov and Mukhamadullin aren't looking awful together; Safonov and Chinakhov also looked like they can develop some chemistry; kind of liked Spiridonov today too.

Didn't like: no smell of chemistry on the first line; basically everyone else on the D is still bad (or just raw); bottom-six is very chaotic; no proper PP.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Our center depth problem remains. Wingers steal the show completely and centers only play a supporting role. The D wasn't really tested agaist the Czechs who decided to not play their KHLers and overall made the impression like they had a priority commitment after the game and could not await it to end.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, after the Czech Republic game:

Liked: Chinakhov and Safonov, they should be kept together for the WJC; Bashkirov and sometimes Gritsyuk looked good too; Askarov, of course.

Didn't like: defense - despite not letting any goals it tried really hard to help the opponents; Spiridonov's injury left us without any right-shoooting players; lack of chemistry everywhere except Safonov-Chinakhov.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Too bad the Hockey East conference in college hockey doesn't have a start time announced yet, would have given Firstov and Kuznetsov some game experience before WJC camp. College teams have been practicing for awhile now so maybe they'll be considered? Doubtful though

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So far I'm kind of not sharing the overall euphoria that is there in the sports media about the Karjala Cup result. I mean, there is certain good stuff that coaches should be given credit like zone entries and high-tempo game (although here it partially might be due to KHL players being in better physical conditions), but still I have some concerns:

• Defense: Askarov had plenty of reasons to be smiling at the awards, it is quite an achievement when your defense is playing against you. No, really: Chistyakov was good, Mukhamadullin had a bit of his usual errors, but nothing horrible, but all the others... Shekhovtsov shouldn't be there, Sedov too, Chayka is a liability on his own end (although very useful at orchestrating the PP), Kirsanov is just very raw. With that being said, coaches just kept playing them and even Bychkov, who didn't look bad, was kept at 7th D all the time except the second half of the 3rd game.
  • Chemistry: am I the only one who wanted to just scream to stop playing Podkolzin and Khusnutdinov together? Khusnutdinov is individually very skilled, but playmaking isn't exactly his strongest part and practice shows that Podkolzin wouldn't mind having someone on his line, who can pass it to him. Didn't notice any decent chemistry everywhere else too except Safonov-Chinakhov. In general, there are clearly not enough playmakers on this roster, but quite a lot of players, who like to have the puck or shoot it more than passing it.
  • Right-handed shooters: it is very good to have right-shot guys on the PP and here we had only Spiridonov (as Beryozkin for some reason didn't play at all).

In general, I think we need some reinforcements, especially at D: hope Knyazev and Rogov aren't out for too long, also I can see that Zaitsev has now returned to play and also obviously hope that they will solve Nikishin's issue with IIHF permit. Still even then thinking that Mukhamadullin-Chistyakov would be our best pairing comparing to what we had last year is just ouch. Obviously shame that NCAA isn't playing, Kuznetsov could've helped too. Also I think we need Likhachyov (right-handed), Abramov (as almost no other centers can pass, so maybe Ponomaryov too), maybe could give Nikolayev a chance too.

So in general, right now I'd go with something like:

Gritsyuk-Abramov-Podkolzin
Groshev-Safonov-Chinakhov
Spiridonov-Khusnutdinov-Amirov
Afanasyev-Bashkirov-Alalykin
Likhachyov, Nikolayev/Beryozkin/Mingachyov (depending on needs)

Mukhamadullin-Chistyakov
Nikishin(?)-Knyazev
Rogov-Bychkov
Chayka-Zaitsev
(+Kirsanov if Nikishin isn't given the permit)

Askarov
Skotnikov
Akhtyamov (or Guskov if you want a 2002 born goalie getting some smell of WJC for the next year).

Reactions: Atas2000 and ms35

ms35

Mar 7, 2018
If not for Askarov, then in newspapers Finland, Sweden and the Czech Republic would have danced on Russian bones. Everything could be exactly the opposite. Lucky for the hockey bosses of Russia. Luck is an integral part of hockey, which cannot be measured, but it means that Larionov did everything perfectly and correctly within the team. Russia is a deserved winner.

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
Am i the only one who thinks that Dmitri Sheshin , Alexei tsyplakov, Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Danill chechelev deserve a chance ?
Hope Knyazev will be ready and Healthy same for Spiridonov .

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Am i the only one who thinks that Dmitri Sheshin , Alexei tsyplakov, Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Danill chechelev deserve a chance ?
Hope Knyazev will be ready and Healthy same for Spiridonov .

Tsyplakov might be interesting, yes, at least he can do some passing. We're deep at wings, so Ovchinnikov and Sheshin don't make much sense, as for Chechelev I don't think it really matters who is the third goalie, yet if it will matter (due to injuries or something) then it is better to have a goalie with some non-MHL experience and here both Akhtyamov and Zherenko are ahead.

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
Tsyplakov might be interesting, yes, at least he can do some passing. We're deep at wings, so Ovchinnikov and Sheshin don't make much sense, as for Chechelev I don't think it really matters who is the third goalie, yet if it will matter (due to injuries or something) then it is better to have a goalie with some non-MHL experience and here both Akhtyamov and Zherenko are ahead.
I agree though i just read that the coaching staff really like vasili ponomaryev

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Russia is always a threat for gold, I will be watching and hoping they do well this year as a couple key leaf prospects will be on the team barring injury. How does this years team compare to years past?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia is always a threat for gold, I will be watching and hoping they do well this year as a couple key leaf prospects will be on the team barring injury. How does this years team compare to years past?
We are back to same old after one odd adequate D-roster. Stellar goaltending will be expected and needed, but same old, we have Askarov. The D will be more of a motivational thing. If they gel and fight every game out like there is no tomorrow they will be able to give Askarov a chance against top teams. Some injuries too will play a role(you can read @Caser 's writup on that. In a perfect world Nikishin would give the D an intimidating presence to slow down other team's top lines, Knyazev is healthy and might add some much needed effective puck moving on the blue line. Forwards... same old. Centers are pretty much mediocre. They are interchangeable in the top 9, no one stands out. It will come down to chemistry with wingers. Three wingers will be relied on to carry the offence: Podkolzin, Amirov, Chinakhov.

We've had worse rosters(and Bragin pulled out some results with them), we've had better. Obviously Askarov is the X factor. If he pulls out a game or two in the elimination games, everything is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan2point0

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
We are back to same old after one odd adequate D-roster. Stellar goaltending will be expected and needed, but same old, we have Askarov. The D will be more of a motivational thing. If they gel and fight every game out like there is no tomorrow they will be able to give Askarov a chance against top teams. Some injuries too will play a role(you can read @Caser 's writup on that. In a perfect world Nikishin would give the D an intimidating presence to slow down other team's top lines, Knyzev is healthy and might add some much needed effective puck moving on the blue line. Forwards... same old. Centers are pretty much mediocre. They are interchangeable in the top 9, no one stands out. It will come down to chemistry with wingers. Three wingers will be relied on to carry the offence: Podkolzin, Amirov, Chinakhov.

We've had worse rosters(and Bragin pulled out some results with them), we've had better. Obviously Askarov is the X factor. If he pulls out a game or two in the elimination games, everything is possible.

thanks!

Reactions: Atas2000

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Has FHR reached out to New Jersey draft pick Artyom Shlain at all? He played for USA at the Hlinka cup but as a dual he is eligible to play for Russia as well. Might be able to compete for a WJC spot this year or next year at a Center position which has been pretty thin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has FHR reached out to New Jersey draft pick Artyom Shlain at all? He played for USA at the Hlinka cup but as a dual he is eligible to play for Russia as well. Might be able to compete for a WJC spot this year or next year at a Center position which has been pretty thin

He already played for the USA at the Hlinka. He could switch, but why would he unless he has a good reason to?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He already played for the USA at the Hlinka. He could switch, but why would he unless he has a good reason to?

USA Ivan Hlinka is an easier team to make compared to their other youth national teams for other competitions and compared to Russia's youth squads. However, If USA WJC roster is stacked and/or they don't invite him, then he can choose to play for Russia if their squad offers better opportunity. Some players aren't that tied to one county in particular as dual citizens and would play for either country. Logan Brown played for Canada in u-17 before switching to USA, it happens.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I don't see any records of him playing in Russia? Being a dual citizen does not make you eligible playing for both nations if you only ever played in one of those nations.

I believe you have to spend two seasons playing in a nation to be eligible to represent that nation if you have not represented the other nation at any official IIHF events

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't see any records of him playing in Russia? Being a dual citizen does not make you eligible playing for both nations if you only ever played in one of those nations.

I believe you have to spend two seasons playing in a nation to be eligible to represent that nation if you have not represented the other nation at any official IIHF events

He is eligible, as until like 2017 he played in Russia... not sure if we'd need him though, is he even good?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He is eligible, as until like 2017 he played in Russia... not sure if we'd need him though, is he even good?

High school players don’t get drafted as often these days and he also made the USA Hlinka roster meaning he was one of the top prospects in the country outside the NTDP so yes he has skill but just currently doesn’t have a huge sample size against high level competition. If NCAA started on time it would have helped .

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
High school players don’t get drafted as often these days and he also made the USA Hlinka roster meaning he was one of the top prospects in the country outside the NTDP so yes he has skill but just currently doesn’t have a huge sample size against high level competition. If NCAA started on time it would have helped .

You remember a guy named Dennis Yan, right?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You remember a guy named Dennis Yan, right?

Yes I do, Yan was good enough to play for US national team as well as Russia but got shunned by USA hockey after leaving for the Q and I don’t think Russia had much interest . Who knows with Shlain , was just wondering if there’s been interest from the Russian side as people think he has a chance to play for the US team next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad