Russia at the 2014 WJC

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Varnakov Sr. said the roster for the 4 Nations Cup is to try out some new guys(thus no Zharkov and Koledov) AND the KHL regulars won't participate in the SSS.

How about VHL regulars... ie Setdikov/Barabanov? Both those guys should at least get a look... BTW too bad for Koledov, who was a good VHL player before Loko 2 folded, now he is demoted back to the MHL :shakehead

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Only guys in KHL who should be on roster are Yakimov, Slepyshev, Buchnevic, Zharkov, Mironov, Vasilyev, Tryamkin... There are some others who are not bad, but IMO there are just too many good players in NA right now who deserve consideration.. Tolchinsky should be a lock, Zykov, etc..

Anyone have any info on Scherbak? He was a late pick in the draft for the WHL and suddenly he is one of the league leading scorers at only 17 yo :amazed:

Hopefully we get a look at Kamayev, Osnovin also in SS.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How about VHL regulars... ie Setdikov/Barabanov? Both those guys should at least get a look... BTW too bad for Koledov, who was a good VHL player before Loko 2 folded, now he is demoted back to the MHL :shakehead

Don't know about the VHLers, but I like the approach. A lot off ppl get overexited recently because of the new junior hockey hype. It's still junior hockey. I'd rather see how "the other" guys perform to see our depth(or lack of it). The only tournament Varnakov seems to have a A-roster at is the WJC(minus the NHLers of course) and that's how it should be.

As for Koledov. Those things happen in a career. Anyway no development is linear. I can see Apalkov doing pretty well in Yaroslavl, but Kapustin disappeared somewhat. Doesn't mean a thing IMHO. If you look at the NHL a lot of players break out at 22-23.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Only guys in KHL who should be on roster are Yakimov, Slepyshev, Buchnevic, Zharkov, Mironov, Vasilyev, Tryamkin... There are some others who are not bad, but IMO there are just too many good players in NA right now who deserve consideration.. Tolchinsky should be a lock, Zykov, etc..

Anyone have any info on Scherbak? He was a late pick in the draft for the WHL and suddenly he is one of the league leading scorers at only 17 yo :amazed:

That's a long list of KHLers already. And that's a good thing. The thing is that Varnakov obviously seeks for some big guys who could jump in for some smallish, nifty guy just to have their frame on the team. Ppl shouldn't get annoyued with that. Not being on the WJC team doesn't mean to be a bust in the future as well as a lot of WJC heroes grow up to be decent 3rd and 4h liners.

Scherbak is 17. At this age a breakout can happen every year(or not, of course).He played for some "no name" MHL team. Also is a december kid. A known thing in all sports I think. A lot of stats, competition and so on is rated by the birth year, but he's basically half a year or a year younger than those guys he was measured against. That might be a reason for some ppl to overlook him.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

I don't think Kamaev is going anywhere, his time in NA has totally killed his mojo. While Sharov (95) this year is making huge strides and leading Red Army in points...not sure about this year, but next year, he could be a wjc candidate, good size already too.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
As for Koledov. Those things happen in a career. Anyway no development is linear. I can see Apalkov doing pretty well in Yaroslavl, but Kapustin disappeared somewhat. Doesn't mean a thing IMHO. If you look at the NHL a lot of players break out at 22-23.

Yes yes, I meant too bad they shut down the VHL team in Loko, now a hand full of those players got sent back to juniors because there is nowhere else to send them.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I don't think Kamaev is going anywhere, his time in NA has totally killed his mojo. While Sharov (95) this year is making huge strides and leading Red Army in points...not sure about this year, but next year, he could be a wjc candidate, good size already too.

Too bad, I remember seeing him scoring some highlight real goals in the MHL before he even left to the CHL... Maybe he will revive like Kugryshev did.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Varnakov Sr. offers us a nice guessing game claiming 14 KHL regulars won't be on the SSS roster. I'll try it off the top of my head:

Vasilevsky, Shesterkin(?)

Mironov, Dyblenko, Naumenkov, Lyubushkin, Tryamkin, Vasiliev(?), Ogurtsov(?)

Buchnevich, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Osnovin, Zhafyarov, Khlopotov, Zharkov, Kamaev(?)

Who else?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Varnakov Sr. offers us a nice guessing game claiming 14 KHL regulars won't be on the SSS roster. I'll try it off the top of my head:

Vasilevsky, Shesterkin(?)

Mironov, Dyblenko, Naumenkov, Lyubushkin, Tryamkin, Vasiliev(?), Ogurtsov(?)

Buchnevich, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Osnovin, Zhafyarov, Khlopotov, Zharkov, Kamaev(?)

Who else?

Maybe Koryagin and Yudin also?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
if you call a high end prospect playing on an average team not even the first line a revival, than may be.:)

There are a few exceptions, like Grigorenko and Yakupov, who have such overwhelming talent and confidence that they immediately stand out, but the vast majority of Russian exports slip easily into the role of an outsider - quiet, submissive, standing away from the limelight.

I'm not saying that they are met with any kind of hostility from their Canadian hosts. From what I can tell, the Canadian fans and players are very welcoming. But still, behaving like an outsider automatically detracts from their game by preventing them from standing out. Guys who were leaders on their teams back home slip into the background. This is particularly true of a guy like Kamaev, who is a small finesse player in a league that emphasizes the physical side of the game. If the little guys don't dominate with finesse goals, they quickly drop out of sight.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The chances of having Nichushkin available for the WJC 2014 team were seriously diminished yesterday. Nichushkin had a monster game on the road at Ottawa. He scored his first goal, and had 4 really brilliant scoring chances. According to Coach Lindy Ruff, " tonight he dominated, skatingwise and physically. He made the play right off the bat that Jamie Benn could have completed, and then in overtime, he could have finished it himself." Early in the overtime, he inadvertently flattened Goalie Craig Anderson when driving to the net, and Anderson had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher.

The Dallas Morning News reported that "Nichushkin finished with four shots on goal, including a beautiful fading wrister that he took across the grain and put goalie Craig Anderson in the second period. It was a goal-scorer's goal. Said Tyler Seguin, "The last few games he's been flying. I played with him in preseason, and I definitely see him improving with every game. He can take the puck to the net, he can use his speed and drive hard. He's a big boy, and I imagine he's going to fill out even more.

I thought there was a chance he might be allowed to play in the WJC if he was still floundering around in the NHL. But in any case, it was just a matter of time before Nichushkin became a dominant NHL player. That emergency may well have happened yesterday..

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The chances of having Nichushkin available for the WJC 2014 team were seriously diminished yesterday. Nichushkin had a monster game on the road at Ottawa. He scored his first goal, and had 4 really brilliant scoring chances. According to Coach Lindy Ruff, " tonight he dominated, skatingwise and physically. He made the play right off the bat that Jamie Benn could have completed, and then in overtime, he could have finished it himself." Early in the overtime, he inadvertently flattened Goalie Craig Anderson when driving to the net, and Anderson had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher.

The Dallas Morning News reported that "Nichushkin finished with four shots on goal, including a beautiful fading wrister that he took across the grain and put goalie Craig Anderson in the second period. It was a goal-scorer's goal. Said Tyler Seguin, "The last few games he's been flying. I played with him in preseason, and I definitely see him improving with every game. He can take the puck to the net, he can use his speed and drive hard. He's a big boy, and I imagine he's going to fill out even more.

I thought there was a chance he might be allowed to play in the WJC if he was still floundering around in the NHL. But in any case, it was just a matter of time before Nichushkin became a dominant NHL player. That emergency may well have happened yesterday..

I look forward to the SSS and WJC to have a look at our depth instead of having the best guys available.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I look forward to the SSS and WJC to have a look at our depth instead of having the best guys available.

A lot of people look at tournaments from the standpoint of winning and losing. What does looking at depth tell you?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A lot of people look at tournaments from the standpoint of winning and losing. What does looking at depth tell you?

This is JUNIOR hockey. A place to look at the situation with our player development in the first place. The talk about Canada's depth is going like forever. Well, I definitely WANT to see how our B-team fares against their A minus team(OHL with Ekblad, Nurse, McDavid) and their 1B and 2B teams. We'll talk about winning and losing at the WJC.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This is JUNIOR hockey. A place to look at the situation with our player development in the first place. The talk about Canada's depth is going like forever. Well, I definitely WANT to see how our B-team fares against their A minus team(OHL with Ekblad, Nurse, McDavid) and their 1B and 2B teams. We'll talk about winning and losing at the WJC.

Your message seems confused and contradictory. First you say you look to the SSS and WJC for some assessment of program depth instead of "having the best guys available," and then you say "we'll talk about winning and losing at the WJC." Do you want to have the best guys available to win the WJC, or just use it as a kind of laboratory to measure "program depth." Which is it? It can't be both.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I really like this year's team. At every position. Pretty excited.

Now imagine if the Sabres decide that their youngsters need a break and allow Zadorov and Grigorenko to play at the WJC. This will be a monster team.

Even without them, I like the depth. Less flash, but the all-around ability of Slepyshev, Zykov, Zhafyarov, Yakimov and Zharkov looks good. The blueline will have several KHL-tested professionals: Mironov, Tryamkin, Yudin, Vasiliev, Koryagin.

Vasilevski is a great goalie, of course.

Not having Nichushkin here hurts, but this should be a good team top to bottom.

As far as CHLers are concerned, I hope Tolchinsky is on this team. Fantastic player. Goldobin and Scherbak can wait another year. I would select Barbashev as well.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I really like this year's team. At every position. Pretty excited.

Now imagine if the Sabres decide that their youngsters need a break and allow Zadorov and Grigorenko to play at the WJC. This will be a monster team.

Even without them, I like the depth. Less flash, but the all-around ability of Slepyshev, Zykov, Zhafyarov, Yakimov and Zharkov looks good. The blueline will have several KHL-tested professionals: Mironov, Tryamkin, Yudin, Vasiliev, Koryagin.

Vasilevski is a great goalie, of course.

Not having Nichushkin here hurts, but this should be a good team top to bottom.

As far as CHLers are concerned, I hope Tolchinsky is on this team. Fantastic player. Goldobin and Scherbak can wait another year. I would select Barbashev as well.

Both Tolchinsky and Barbashev were really strong at the World U18 tournament last April. Tolchinsky is small, but is a giant in talent. I would be really surprised if Tolchinsky was not picked.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Your message seems confused and contradictory. First you say you look to the SSS and WJC for some assessment of program depth instead of "having the best guys available," and then you say "we'll talk about winning and losing at the WJC." Do you want to have the best guys available to win the WJC, or just use it as a kind of laboratory to measure "program depth." Which is it? It can't be both.

SSS and WJC are different tournaments... just saying.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Both Tolchinsky and Barbashev were really strong at the World U18 tournament last April. Tolchinsky is small, but is a giant in talent. I would be really surprised if Tolchinsky was not picked.

I agree, he has been lights out everywhere he has played (ie. rookie camps, tournies, OHL)... He is easily most talented out of any of the eligible players.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I would say:

Yudin
Khlopotov
Koryagin
Osnovin
Lyubushkin

IMO no room for these guys, just not at that level yet, so hopefully none make the final team. I would have to think they would go to the SS because not really like they are important to their team.. Varnakov probably bluffing.. Id want to see Barabanov and Setdikov at the SS. Barabanov has some sweet skills.

Another name who seems to be forgotten is Malenkikh the St Petersburg Dman? He was highly regarded a few years ago, haven't heard about him since.

After seeing Kamenev and Pilipenko at the WJAC, I want to at least se them in the SS just to see how they handle a tougher opponent.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
IMO no room for these guys, just not at that level yet, so hopefully none make the final team. I would have to think they would go to the SS because not really like they are important to their team.. Varnakov probably bluffing.. Id want to see Barabanov and Setdikov at the SS. Barabanov has some sweet skills.

Another name who seems to be forgotten is Malenkikh the St Petersburg Dman? He was highly regarded a few years ago, haven't heard about him since.

After seeing Kamenev and Pilipenko at the WJAC, I want to at least se them in the SS just to see how they handle a tougher opponent.

What would be your blueline then? These guys, at this point, are among the most tested at the pro level.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Osnovin is a very solid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4