Russia at the 2014 WJC

Fulcrum

I wanted to make a thread about this.

I'd love to read your projected rosters.

I did some research on the invitees and on the 94, 95 class. Assuming that Grigorenko will be in NHL, here's a possible roster

Slepyshev-Osnovin-Nichushkin
Gimatov-Yakimov-Buchnevich
Goldobin-Skladnichenko-Zhafyarov/Zykov
Barabanov/Shiksatdarov-?Busarov?-Tolchinsky/Shingareyev

There is Kamaev too..

I would say that LW is relatively weak. The RW is stacked and very strong, especially if Nichu will play there.

At first glance, the Centre position looks thinner than the last couple of years, but lots can change. I might very well be forgetting someone.

Defense should be pretty good this year. I've watched a few games with Tryamkin who I found rather impressive (agressive, mobile and big). Zadorov and Mironov will be good too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I did some research on the invitees and on the 94, 95 class. Assuming that Grigorenko will be in NHL, here's a possible roster

Slepyshev-Osnovin-Nichushkin
Gimatov-Yakimov-Buchnevich
Goldobin-Skladnichenko-Zhafyarov/Zykov
Barabanov/Shiksatdarov-?Busarov?-Tolchinsky/Shingareyev

There is Kamaev too..

I would say that LW is relatively weak. The RW is stacked and very strong, especially if Nichu will play there.

At first glance, the Centre position looks thinner than the last couple of years, but lots can change. I might very well be forgetting someone.

Defense should be pretty good this year. I've watched a few games with Tryamkin who I found rather impressive (agressive, mobile and big). Zadorov and Mironov will be good too.

Zharkov loses his spot?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Varnakov is in love with huge players, didn't learn much from a loss to Sweden...Tyamkin, Bereglazo, Galin, and Malenkih are the mastodons!

Fulcrum

Varnakov is in love with huge players, didn't learn much from a loss to Sweden...Tyamkin, Bereglazo, Galin, and Malenkih are the mastodons!

They would be more relevant on small sized rinks.

Fulcrum

What about Ogurtsov from CSKA, pretty good stats and the guy is a GIANT. Also Stetsenko? Add Zadorov to that mix who is apparently 6'7'' now! oh man :scared:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
What about Ogurtsov from CSKA, pretty good stats and the guy is a GIANT. Also Stetsenko? Add Zadorov to that mix who is apparently 6'7'' now! oh man :scared:

Ogurtsov will be a late bloomer, he may be called up to the 4Nations Tournament one day, imho, Zadorov will almost certainly make the team even though he's a year younger.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Based on the fact that both players have been a non-factor in the NHL so far this year, with only one assist between the two of them to show for themselves, does anyone think that Grigorenko and/or Nichushkin will be available for the WJC this year?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Based on the fact that both players have been a non-factor in the NHL so far this year, with only one assist between the two of them to show for themselves, does anyone think that Grigorenko and/or Nichushkin will be available for the WJC this year?

no way, and Zadorov is playing for Buffalo too now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Nichushkin is getting a tryout on the first line. Obviously the last evaluation. Means 2 things IMHO:

Ruff really does like his skillset and his interviews aren't just motivation attempts for a young player.

If that line doesn't work as a clear cut 1st line, Nichushkin is headed to juniors and thus the WJC.

Regardles of the development debate it's a win-win for us fans. Nichushkin gets some quality chance with the big team and sticks or he have him in the WJC.

Grigorenko is probaly to stay. The whole team is struggling. I don't think he'll be blamed for lack of production. You can't send the Sabres to the minors even if they play like they belong there.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
no way, and Zadorov is playing for Buffalo too now.

Just like Nichushkin Zadorov needs to perform more than just good and it has to be now. The next 5 games or so willl tell. I for my part think Zadorov is going to London, even while I think he's a future superstar.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Just like Nichushkin Zadorov needs to perform more than just good and it has to be now. The next 5 games or so willl tell. I for my part think Zadorov is going to London, even while I think he's a future superstar.

we will see, if we have Nichushkin and Zadorov we can medal.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Varnakov Sr. said the roster for the 4 Nations Cup is to try out some new guys(thus no Zharkov and Koledov) AND the KHL regulars won't participate in the SSS.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
we will see, if we have Nichushkin and Zadorov we can medal.

I love all three of these guys, and it would be great if all of them are able to hold down a regular NHL shift throughout the season. I just don't think its likely. I was pleasantly surprised to see Zadorov make Buffalo's roster, but I question whether he is mature enough to hold down a regular rotation over the long term. The clock is no doubt ticking for Grigorenko and Nichushkin, who continue to be shut out of the scoring column (Nichushkin actually has an assist). If they don't start producing some points, then their GM's will start looking for developmental opportunities for them. Under those circumstances, it certainly is possible that they could end up in the WJC.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
i think both would be better served in the KHL than OHL

Obviously, but it's not going to happpen, so...

P.S. Zadorov with a good game. The -1 is definitely not on him. Great goal, great hits. In 2018 we will finally have some variety of punishing D-men on the NT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad