Russia at the 2014 WJC

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why are people leaving Goldobin off? I think on the larger ice his size won't be a huge disadvantage.

There's some competition among the wingers this year: even without Nichushkin, there are still Slepyshev, Buchnevich, Zharkov, Khlopotov, Zhafyarov, Tolchinsky, Barbashev ahead of him. And also on somewhat the same level with him are Golyshev, Rudenkov, Shiksatdarov, Delnov, Zykov, Scherbak, Tkachyov, so it is really would be hard to include Goldobin in the roster, I think he'll have a better chance next year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Why are people leaving Goldobin off? I think on the larger ice his size won't be a huge disadvantage.

Tolchinsky, Goldobin, Tkachyov. That's 3 smallish wingers. No way Varnakov will have all 3 on the roster. If he takes 2 of the 3 I'd say it should be Tolch+Goldobin.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Tolchinsky, Goldobin, Tkachyov. That's 3 smallish wingers. No way Varnakov will have all 3 on the roster. If he takes 2 of the 3 I'd say it should be Tolch+Goldobin.
you are right, almost:laugh:
no one from them in the extended roster
http://allhockey.ru/news/169496/#reviewname
i personally agree with no tolchinskiy and tkachev, but would have invited goldobin at least to the pre-tournament camp.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
you are right, almost:laugh:
no one from them in the extended roster
http://allhockey.ru/news/169496/#reviewname
i personally agree with no tolchinskiy and tkachev, but would have invited goldobin at least to the pre-tournament camp.

I wrote "if". Tolchinsky hasn't exactly impressed anybody at SSS, so that's paying the price. Obviously we have more depth than ever though less superstars in the making.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
No Nalimov either, kid was impressive at the SSS.

Interesting that Zharkov wasn't invited since he was on the team last year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I wrote "if". Tolchinsky hasn't exactly impressed anybody at SSS, so that's paying the price. Obviously we have more depth than ever though less superstars in the making.

I am sorry, game one he was the best player on the ice, game - 2 he sorta disappeared, but I think he left to play for his team and came back, was just tired. The guy is an elite talent, Varnakov just doesn't know how to use elite talent. Not taking him and taking the likes of Skladnichenko, Zykov (a total joke in SSS), Gimatov - who was only noticed taking penalties is beyond laughable.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's infuriating the amount of smaller skilled players not given at least a chance in camp......Tolchinsky, Tkachyov, Golyshev, Goldobin, that Semyonov kid from Avangard.

I'll also never understand Varnakov's infatuation with Kirill Vorobyov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No Nalimov either, kid was impressive at the SSS.

Interesting that Zharkov wasn't invited since he was on the team last year.

Nalimov is on it. Zharkov is one of the "victims" of the new depth. There are more than one option for every position. Obviously he heasn't impressed the coches.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
It's infuriating the amount of smaller skilled players not given at least a chance in camp......Tolchinsky, Tkachyov, Golyshev, Goldobin, that Semyonov kid from Avangard.

I'll also never understand Varnakov's infatuation with Kirill Vorobyov.

agreed, but Varnakov can't coach skill. Semenov didn't even get a shot at the SSS

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am sorry, game one he was the best player on the ice, game - 2 he sorta disappeared, but I think he left to play for his team and came back, was just tired. The guy is an elite talent, Varnakov just doesn't know how to use elite talent. Not taking him and taking the likes of Skladnichenko, Zykov (a total joke in SSS), Gimatov - who was only noticed taking penalties is beyond laughable.

Choosing players will always be that way. Every coach has his own mind. And he can't possibly please everyone. That's how Varnakov sees it. Nobody is saying Tolchinsky is a bust. He also dosn't necessarily need this tournament. He has his NHL contract, while other guys can showcase themselves to scouts.

I also have to diagree on Skladnichenko and Zykov. Both were very solid in SSS.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What a downer. No skilled kids on the smaller side. What has become of Russian hockey?:shakehead

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't think the roster is 'tragic' or smthn, I can see that probably we have forgot that every year coaches are usually tend to chose older guys (i.e. 1994 born this year) as one year makes some difference in junior hockey. From 1994 cuts it is only Zharkov (ok, he is not shining anyway) and probably Golyshev. Tolchinsky, Tkachev, Scherbak, Goldobin etc. will have a chance next year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I don't think the roster is 'tragic' or smthn, I can see that probably we have forgot that every year coaches are usually tend to chose older guys (i.e. 1994 born this year) as one year makes some difference in junior hockey. From 1994 cuts it is only Zharkov (ok, he is not shining anyway) and probably Golyshev. Tolchinsky, Tkachev, Scherbak, Goldobin etc. will have a chance next year.

I agree with that, remember, when bragin won with 91, everybody said he should have taken more 92's as they were more talented.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Not taking Tkachyov and Tolchinsky is a sad mistake. Tkachyov makes offense out of nothing, even on the small ice. The big guys tried to kill him and couldn't touch him... Now imagine him on the BIG ice. Same for Tolchinsky, he showed off spectacular skills at the U-18s in Sochi. I know Varnakov is picky and likes a certain type of player, but sometimes you need a flamboyantly skilled player to spark offense (cough, Kuznetsov). Varnakov was benching Tkachyov for 1 or 2 turnovers he made... Sad, its a trade off that needs to be made for offense.

At the SS, Tolchinsky was great, he made 2 or 3 moves and was just tripped/dumped form behind. IIHF refs would have been all over that, he would be a penalty creating machine... Not to mention he scored and the team won when he was in the line-up.. Come on Varnakov.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
agreed, but Varnakov can't coach skill. Semenov didn't even get a shot at the SSS

I agree, he likes meat and potatoes kind of players.. You need both, which is what made Bragin a great coach. He demanded discipline but also let his offensive guys have some slack.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Can live without Tolchinsky. No big deal.

No chance Grigorenko could still be added if released to go?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In case there was ever any doubt, the Dallas Stars announced yesterday that Nichushkin will be staying in the NHL, and won't be released to the WJC. He had a goal(3) and an assist yesterday, and is proving more and more every day that he belongs in the NHL. I don't see why Grigorenko shouldn't be in Malmo, however.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Posted on his Facebook page:

Mikhail Grigorenko

Flying to RUSSIA on Sunday with my brother Zadorov!!!!)))))))))

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Its too bad that a lot of good small players won't be there, but maybe the surplus of talent is a dividend of the MHL and the expanded role of the VHL at the junior level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->