Russia at the 2014 WJC

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
What would be your blueline then? These guys, at this point, are among the most tested at the pro level.

I would object to that. Yudin plays a minimal role on an a great team so not as easy to look bad, but he has managed at times. I've seen him make atrocious defensive plays, helooks better on paper than in reality IMO.

My choice would be Mironov, Vasiliev Tryamkin, Koledov as staples. For the final 2 spots I would also strongly consider Valiyev and Sinitsyn from CHL. Possibly Lysenko to provide some sand paper. Either Tikhonov or Rafikov purely as an offensive dimension. That should form a well rounded defense.

Guys playing minimal KHL minutes IMO are not always best option. Having a guy like Rafikov, one of best defenseman in MHL playing big minutes I would rather have in place. Also, I would not write off some of the guys in the CHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I would object to that. Yudin plays a minimal role on an a great team so not as easy to look bad, but he has managed at times. I've seen him make atrocious defensive plays, helooks better on paper than in reality IMO.

My choice would be Mironov, Vasiliev Tryamkin, Koledov as staples. For the final 2 spots I would also strongly consider Valiyev and Sinitsyn from CHL. Possibly Lysenko to provide some sand paper. Either Tikhonov or Rafikov purely as an offensive dimension. That should form a well rounded defense.

Guys playing minimal KHL minutes IMO are not always best option. Having a guy like Rafikov, one of best defenseman in MHL playing big minutes I would rather have in place. Also, I would not write off some of the guys in the CHL.

99% agree.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

The CHL guys you name aren't much good. Not good enough to dismiss Yudin.

Lysenko is awful. Completely stalled.

I like Tikhonov.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Im pretty sure Bereglazov has sealed himself a spot. Strong D and goaltending this year, hopefully the offense comes together... Fully expect some roster surprises from Varnakov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Im pretty sure Bereglazov has sealed himself a spot. Strong D and goaltending this year, hopefully the offense comes together... Fully expect some roster surprises from Varnakov.

Offence reinforced by the KHL and the CHLers brought together shouldn't be a problem.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
On what basis? Not disagreeing. Just wondering.

He has erased the top guns from the CHL, positioning, physicality has been spot on. Cleared out any rebounds, bodies around the net. Big bodied with decent offensive ability. Varnakov has him favourite too.

Rafikov, Gavrikov and Koledov have also been rocks (Gavrikov I predict will make it next year as he is only 17 and Koledov appears to have been injured tonight)... Big minute Dmen from Russia have been perfect, no dumb mistakes, I think Varnakov really likes what he has back there... I think some KHL guys who think they have spots are going to be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Like I've explained above, the D is solid as I've seen it in years for Russia at the junior level. If you ask me, I could see Tryamkin and Yudin getting the pass over... I know from past that Varnakov will take a guy who might not be playing on the fancy KHL team or have the big numbers, but if he does his job, he got a spot locked down.

Forwards are sufficient for this series, they are opportunistic and play the system well, but you can clearly see the lack of firepower. I expect the forward ranks to be similar to SS with a few additions. Yakimov, Buchnevic for sure, maybe Zharkov...

Some evaluations:

Busarov: At first sight, not so interesting, little offensive value.. Best defensive forward on the ice, blocked 12 shots in one game, roughed up, gets right back out there. Announcers were overwhelmingly surprised by his performance, as was I. Just keep him off the PP please! He has a spot locked down.

Tkachev: Unbelevably smart and tricky. Big guys run him but never hit him because he knows how to dodge them. Has deceptive speed to speed the play up, or ability to slow the play down. Made offense out of nothing with great moves and seeing eye passes. Some turnovers, which Im sure Varnakov wasn't pleased about. IMO you can afford a few turnovers from a guy like this because the payoff is worth it.

Barabanov: Not as slippery as Tkachev, but very fast and agile. Smart player who can play a system. Quick stick, rarely would lose a puck battle. You can tell he is a pro.

Rudenkov/Voronin: Quick, shifty guys, not consistent but a few times a game they wind it up and make a great rush or offensive play... I'm certain 1 of these guys will be on the final roster.

Those are some guys who stood out, feel free to add to the analysis.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Like I've explained above, the D is solid as I've seen it in years for Russia at the junior level. If you ask me, I could see Tryamkin and Yudin getting the pass over... I know from past that Varnakov will take a guy who might not be playing on the fancy KHL team or have the big numbers, but if he does his job, he got a spot locked down.

Forwards are sufficient for this series, they are opportunistic and play the system well, but you can clearly see the lack of firepower. I expect the forward ranks to be similar to SS with a few additions. Yakimov, Buchnevic for sure, maybe Zharkov...

Some evaluations:

Busarov: At first sight, not so interesting, little offensive value.. Best defensive forward on the ice, blocked 12 shots in one game, roughed up, gets right back out there. Announcers were overwhelmingly surprised by his performance, as was I. Just keep him off the PP please! He has a spot locked down.

Tkachev: Unbelevably smart and tricky. Big guys run him but never hit him because he knows how to dodge them. Has deceptive speed to speed the play up, or ability to slow the play down. Made offense out of nothing with great moves and seeing eye passes. Some turnovers, which Im sure Varnakov wasn't pleased about. IMO you can afford a few turnovers from a guy like this because the payoff is worth it.

Barabanov: Not as slippery as Tkachev, but very fast and agile. Smart player who can play a system. Quick stick, rarely would lose a puck battle. You can tell he is a pro.

Rudenkov/Voronin: Quick, shifty guys, not consistent but a few times a game they wind it up and make a great rush or offensive play... I'm certain 1 of these guys will be on the final roster.

Those are some guys who stood out, feel free to add to the analysis.

Once you get past Tkachyov and Shiksatderov, I'm not sure whether the other forwards from the Subway Series will be included in the WJC. Barabanov is a playmaker, and Rudenkov had some brilliant moments, but it seems to me that the core of guys back that didn't make the trip over are safe in their positions.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
We can expect a roster like this perhaps?

Slepshev-Buchnevich-Zhafyarov
Zharkov-Barbashev-Tkachyov
Kuptsov-Yakimov-Barabanov
Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin

I don't think Tkachev is this high on the depth chart. In all likelihood, he will fight for the depth spot. Too young, too skinny.

Tolchinsky I think should be on this team and on one of the top lines.

Yakimov is probably the strongest center, unless Grigorenko is on the team (very possible).

I wouldn't have Kuptsov there. Has anyone seen him play this year?

Busarov, Bereglazov appear to be likely inclusions due to recent reviews.

Would not be shocked if Zykov is left off.

Vasiliev, Koryagin, Lyubushkin, Ogurtsov also to be considered for the blueline.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin

Yudin? I am not so sure about him making the team
Kuptsov/Tkachiov/Golyshev/Zykov/Rudenkov are all huge may be's.

Shiksatdarov/Busarov had a good showing, Tolchinskiy a must.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yudin? I am not so sure about him making the team
Kuptsov/Tkachiov/Golyshev/Zykov/Rudenkov are all huge may be's.

Shiksatdarov/Busarov had a good showing, Tolchinskiy a must.

What makes Tolchinskiy a better choice than Tkachyov?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What makes Tolchinskiy a better choice than Tkachyov?

Even if it's the couple of pounds more.

But seriously, Tolchinsky has at the very least the same talent Tkachyov posesses AND Tolchinsky is no prima donna unlike Mr.I deseve a spot in the KHL Tkachyov.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Even if it's the couple of pounds more.

But seriously, Tolchinsky has at the very least the same talent Tkachyov posesses AND Tolchinsky is no prima donna unlike Mr.I deseve a spot in the KHL Tkachyov.

Ok so attitude then?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Also, Tolchinsky is one of the top OHL scorers this season + he is half year older and 30lbs/15kg stronger.

Is Tkachyov really under 140 lbs..... :help:

Regardless he is very shifty and on big ice size and strength are less of a factor.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Is Tkachyov really under 140 lbs..... :help:

Regardless he is very shifty and on big ice size and strength are less of a factor.

:laugh: I've been thinking about this too. I think he was listed at 150 lbs somewhere.
Anyway, this kid's trademark seem to be those solo goals dangling through the defense and putting the puck in the back of the net. Fun player to watch.

Yet, I like Tolchinsky's game more. Hopefully he will be in the team. Nothing against Tkachyov - but both of them hardly will make it?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
:laugh: I've been thinking about this too. I think he was listed at 150 lbs somewhere.
Anyway, this kid's trademark seem to be those solo goals dangling through the defense and putting the puck in the back of the net. Fun player to watch.

Yet, I like Tolchinsky's game more. Hopefully he will be in the team. Nothing against Tkachyov - but both of them hardly will make it?

He reminds me of Kucherov a lot tbh. 150 seems more realistic tho I saw 6'0 181 somewhere the guys measuring/weighing must have been drunk...Regarding Tolchinskiy every time I've seen him on big ice he looked dynamite whether on the National team or clips from him on CSKA youth team.

Aceonfire*

Why are people leaving Goldobin off? I think on the larger ice his size won't be a huge disadvantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->