Confirmed with Link: Rundblad re-signs for two years

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Wouldn't surprise me if they bring him up 1/2 way through the season.

In case of injuries, probably. But if the team stays healthy there just won't be any room even if they trade one or two guys. Too bad because I'd like to see him get a few games now, but as stated so many times before, it really is a luxury problem.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
In case of injuries, probably. But if the team stays healthy there just won't be any room even if they trade one or two guys. Too bad because I'd like to see him get a few games now, but as stated so many times before, it really is a luxury problem.

Will the Coyotes move Morris if it looks like he won't re-sign?
Ideally the Coyotes will get down to 7 1-way contracts by the end of camp. And still could use another d'man before the trade deadline. Just an option...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Will the Coyotes move Morris if it looks like he won't re-sign?
Ideally the Coyotes will get down to 7 1-way contracts by the end of camp. And still could use another d'man before the trade deadline. Just an option...
He's nearing the end of his career, he's made his money and he absolutely loves it here. I can't imagine Morris not resigning. If they part ways I think it'll be because of the Coyotes not Morris but really I expect Morris to retire a Coyote.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
He's nearing the end of his career, he's made his money and he absolutely loves it here. I can't imagine Morris not resigning. If they part ways I think it'll be because of the Coyotes not Morris but really I expect Morris to retire a Coyote.

I agree, the question was a bit rhetoric, I do expect the Coyotes to re-sign him and for less money.
Another spitball response is a healthy Schlemko could warrant trade offers.If he stays healthy, is signed to a good contract for 2 more seasons, just turned 26...

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
leverage? against Maloney?

I can not comprehend the possibility! Perhaps you mean that he won't rip off another team as much as usual.

Of the 9 contracts, how many would be considered top 4?

I think out of all of our Dmen, the following will be top 4 defensemen:
OEL
Yandle
Gormley
Rundblad
Murphy
Stone

top 6:
OEL
Yandle
Gormley
Rundblad
Schlemko
Murphy
Stone

Overload of riches :nod:, but since the majority of them have top 4 potential, and all of them will most likely be NHL defensemen, we're not going to be able to fit them all on the roster, so it's almost a given that at least one will be traded. On top of that, how many NHL defense cores all consist of that teams original draft picks? You have to think that our defense in the future won't all be the prospects we have now. Although, if they all pan out and our future defense WAS all of our draft picks, that would be amazing.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
You can read what Brad Treliving had to say to me earlier today about the signing. He certainly walked a politically correct line so I took out of it that we'll be seeing a trade in Sept.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=69511679&postcount=545

Also, I'm not sure if you are implying that Gormley and Murphy are ready for prime time, but no way... Gormley has at least one more year of a full season in the AHL, most likely two and Murphy has to prove he can stay healthy and once he does that prove he can play a pro style of game. It's a while before these two are skating a regular shift in Glendale.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You can read what Brad Treliving had to say to me earlier today about the signing. He certainly walked a politically correct line so I took out of it that we'll be seeing a trade in Sept.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=69511679&postcount=545

Also, I'm not sure if you are implying that Gormley and Murphy are ready for prime time, but no way... Gormley has at least one more year of a full season in the AHL, most likely two and Murphy has to prove he can stay healthy and once he does that prove he can play a pro style of game. It's a while before these two are skating a regular shift in Glendale.

I'd like to see Gormley spend another season in the AHL being the Pirates 1D, though I wouldn't mind see him see NHL action as an injury callup this season. Don't think you'll find many Yotes fans disagreeing with you about Murphy though - has great talent and I think he can ultimately become an ideal partner for OEL, but he needs to stay healthy. Don't expect him to become an NHL regular for at least another two seasons.

With our depth though, we can certainly afford to give both all the time they need, even if we end up making a trade for a forward. Having a normal season again should also help us with giving our guys enough rest and healing time.

Feb 12, 2003
Teams in this position always lose in terms of asset management. There is not enough ice to showcase the surplus of defense so you end up getting prospect prices. If you can anticipate the logjam in advance you are best to try to make at least one proactive move. None has been made so far.

At this point, unless someone really likes Schlemko or Stone or Rundblad, Klesla is the only really known quantity that any team would be willing to give up something of value. That's assuming we keep OEL, Yandle, Morris and Michalek. Guys like Summer will likely end up staying just because they get lost in the bunch and you'd pretty much have to give them away.

I was all for getting Z back last summer, but when you look at this logjam on defense and his salary it's easier in retrospect to look at that move and see that it only makes things more difficult now. We really have to move 2 defense this season (by the draft) and that money could have been used for some additional offense.

I suspect Summers ends up making NHL money in Maine and they find a deal to get Klesla dealt.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It could be that the offers are already so poor that there is no risk in waiting.

Could be that there is a standing offer on the table and they are just waiting for another factor to work itself out.

Who knows? I'm sure Maloney and Co. didn't just forget that they've got too many one way contracts on D.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
It could be that the offers are already so poor that there is no risk in waiting.

Could be that there is a standing offer on the table and they are just waiting for another factor to work itself out.

Who knows? I'm sure Maloney and Co. didn't just forget that they've got too many one way contracts on D.

With Gormley and Rundbald in the pipeline, I don't understand why we didn't take a long hard look at moving Yandle.

There were a lot of good trades on the table (assuming the rumors were correct):

D. Krejci +
S. Gagner and M. Pajaarvi
Thomas Plekanec +

Either one of those would have changed the complexion of this team for the better, IMO. As nice as Yandle's offensive contributions are, he's not exactly helping our PP and he's not playing important minutes for us. Take even last season, his offensive surge cam when the Yotes were out of a playoff spot. He had a lot of points that last week or so of the season.

Let's face it. He is not that important to us and he could have very well attracted a solid return on the market.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
With Gormley and Rundbald in the pipeline, I don't understand why we didn't take a long hard look at moving Yandle.

There were a lot of good trades on the table (assuming the rumors were correct):

D. Krejci +
Thomas Plekanec +

Either one of those would have changed the complexion of this team for the better, IMO. As nice as Yandle's offensive contributions are, he's not exactly helping our PP and he's not playing important minutes for us. Take even last season, his offensive surge cam when the Yotes were out of a playoff spot. He had a lot of points that last week or so of the season.

Let's face it. He is not that important to us and he could have very well attracted a solid return on the market.

I disagree! He is very important to the Coyotes. And I trust GM Maloney decision to not trade him and how Coach Tippet utilizes him.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario

D. Krejci +
Thomas Plekanec +

The only offer I would THINK about out of those is Krejci +. And it would heavily depend on the +.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

D. Krejci +
Thomas Plekanec +

Seriously, what the hell are you effing smoking? For starters, Yandle had 5 PPGs last season - without those our anemic PP would've officially been DEAD LAST in the league. His PP production over the past 3 seasons is definitely comparable to Letang's and Karlsson's. And that's with our talent deprived forward corps.

Yandle is obviously our most talented offensive player, who easily could put up 60+ points if he had better forwards. With Ribiero in tow, he certainly has a good shot in setting career numbers next season. If Yandle's importance to our offense is that lost on you, well, I simply don't know what to say except you've got some pretty serious myopia there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Didn't Keith Yandle lead the team in scoring two of the last three seasons? Seems at least...kinda...important, right?

If Gormley and Rundblad stick while progressing, moving Yandle at the deadline (if not in contention) or next draft seems ideal. Unless he wants to sign a favorable 8 year deal that would see him play his entire career here (and be captain) then I expect him to hit FA eventually. Maloney can't let that happen. An injury, a trip to the finals, a Norris etc... all change the equation, but I can see a very real scenario where Yandle has to be moved for the sake of the long term.

I realize trading away talent while they are peaking is a totally new concept to Coyote fans. It's a good problem to have. Buffalo is going through the same thing right now with Vanek. But this 'problem' is a creation of good drafting and development. If the kids pan out, I don't see Yandle staying. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Didn't Keith Yandle lead the team in scoring two of the last three seasons? Seems at least...kinda...important, right?

Yes, that's because of our blatant lack of offense up front. Name the last team that won a Stanley Cup with a defencemen leading their scoring during the regular season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Gormley and Rundblad stick while progressing, moving Yandle at the deadline (if not in contention) or next draft seems ideal. Unless he wants to sign a favorable 8 year deal that would see him play his entire career here (and be captain) then I expect him to hit FA eventually. Maloney can't let that happen. An injury, a trip to the finals, a Norris etc... all change the equation, but I can see a very real scenario where Yandle has to be moved for the sake of the long term.

I realize trading away talent while they are peaking is a totally new concept to Coyote fans. It's a good problem to have. Buffalo is going through the same thing right now with Vanek. But this 'problem' is a creation of good drafting and development. If the kids pan out, I don't see Yandle staying. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'd be more pessimistic about Yandle's commitment to the Yotes if he hadn't resigned after his 59 point season during the peak of ownership hell. But he did, and to a pretty team-friendly contract as well. It's apparent he wants to remain a Yote, and his media-friendly demeanor makes him the perfect successor to Doan as captain.

Yes, I understand trading players at their peak value. But neither Gormley or Rundblad have Yandle's skillset and certainly haven't proven anything at the NHL level. And I don't think they'll be producing at a level that would make me comfortable with labeling Yandle expendable for the near-term.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yes, that's because of our blatant lack of offense up front. Name the last team that won a Stanley Cup with a defencemen leading their scoring during the regular season.
Sergei Zubov led the 94 Rangers (70-something assists) and I think Bobby Orr did it. Obviously Bobby Orr is not a good comparable for anyone, but Yandle reminds me so much of pre-Stars Cup (1998ish) Sergei Zubov it's scary. Not physical, great skater, super skilled, never injured ... if his vision and feel and patience and defensive positioning keep improving (they generally do in veterans) I could see Yandle doing it on this team. If the 99 Sabres, 96 Panthers or 03 Ducks would have had Yandle, he'd have a great chance of leading any of them in scoring. Obviously none of them were Cup champs, but they were right there, and no opponent in the league today is as good as the 99 Stars, 96 Avs or 03 Devils ...

Pre-cap, you had to have star scorers to compete. Now, scoring by committee and great defense / teamwork can do it. Skilled defensemen can go a long way to helping Dave Moss score 25 goals, and Martin Hanzal's physicality can help solve problems Keith Yandle can't on his own ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad