Confirmed with Link: Rundblad re-signs for two years

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That depends on the health of the D corps and how the next inevitable trade goes down.

If we trade Rusty Klesla for a forward or for futures, I still see Rundblad as seventh on the D chart:

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad
Summers

...so he'll probably see quite a few healthy scratches unless one of those six above him gets hurt.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ya true.. I still think theres a chance Rundblad could be traded. I just dont really see a future in Phoenix for him unfortunately. Now that he is signed for 2 years and for cheap, I can see alot of teams being interested

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
ya true.. I still think theres a chance Rundblad could be traded. I just dont really see a future in Phoenix for him unfortunately. Now that he is signed for 2 years and for cheap, I can see alot of teams being interested

Sign-and-trades are very rare. Rundblad is here to stay this season. Next season could be a different story, though.

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, a season is a really long time. A lot can happen. Does Stone continue making tremendous progress and make Morris redundant? Does Schlemko finally plateau? Can Rundblad's Pejorative Sluredly awesome PP ability just work so damned well with Mike Ribeiro that we just HAVE to find a way to get him in the line up every night?

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
That depends on the health of the D corps and how the next inevitable trade goes down.

If we trade Rusty Klesla for a forward or for futures, I still see Rundblad as seventh on the D chart:

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad
Summers

...so he'll probably see quite a few healthy scratches unless one of those six above him gets hurt.

If everyones healthy I would prefer a D line up like this

OEL - Z
Yandle - Stone
Rundblad - Morris
Schlemko
Summers

I know both Rundblad and Morris are Righties but im sure one of them could play on the off side. And Morris could be the defensive veteran rock that rundblad needs in his first season. I also wouldnt be surprised if Gormley stole a spot somewhere somewhere during the season.

rt

May 13, 2004
Schlemko has improved so much and played so well since his rookie season. His development curve has been incredible. I think you've got to pencil him in. It could certainly change but he's got to be a favorite to make the squad full-time. More so than any of Summers, Rundblad, and even Stone.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Schlemko is an excellent two-way bottom 4 defenseman, a steal at 1M/year. May not have a standout ability and he's not a physical presence, but he's solid in both ends. Schelmko's only real knock is his durability issues.

Even if Gormley, Rundblad, and Murphy all ultimately pan out in the future, I'd still like to keep Schlemko as a 7th d-man - he's far more of a versatile option at 7D than someone like Summers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schlemko has improved so much and played so well since his rookie season. His development curve has been incredible. I think you've got to pencil him in. It could certainly change but he's got to be a favorite to make the squad full-time. More so than any of Summers, Rundblad, and even Stone.

I agree. Schlemko is so under rated it's crazy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schlemko is an excellent two-way bottom 4 defenseman, a steal at 1M/year. May not have a standout ability and he's not a physical presence, but he's solid in both ends. Schelmko's only real knock is his durability issues.

Even if Gormley, Rundblad, and Murphy all ultimately pan out in the future, I'd still like to keep Schlemko as a 7th d-man - he's far more of a versatile option at 7D than someone like Summers.

Again,I totally agree. Like you said, if he can only stay healthy.

rt

May 13, 2004
I also rally like Summers, though. He doesn't get much love around here, but I think he will be a full time NHL player and a pretty darn effective one some day. Probably on the bottom pair somewhere (likely not Phoenix) but a decent player nonetheless.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sign-and-trades are very rare.

Not at all rare when the player is a RFA.

I don't think we will get full value for him unless he gets playing time. Same for Gormley. And that means Summers or Schlemko sits or gets traded. Those guys have minimal value. The 2 blue chips still have value, but the decay will increase dramatically this season if they don't get significant playing time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad
Summers

I agree with this post. I also think Z could be traded. Either way, somebody in the top 7 has to go, and I think it is likely before the season starts. With injuries, and one of our top 6 will be injured, I can see Runblad, summers and maybe Gormley getting some time.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

I totally agree and I would not want to trade Schlemko because he is so undervalued right now. If he plays a full season and his abilities get showcased a little more, I think he could bring a much better return. But when I say that, I guess it is true for all our young d-men. What a good spot to be in.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
opinions on rundblad so far?

Great vision, didn't register on the scoresheet but played a part in a few goals. I think he is a keeper and I would only take a big overpayment at this point for him. The talent is so obviously there and he feels comfortable using it. Still got some nerves, bobbling pucks at the point. Almost like his hands haven't caught up to his head. He'll get there.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
opinions on rundblad so far?

John Slaney 2.0

at some point, he'll be part of a package in a big trade, or traded straight up for something his supporters will scream bloody murder about.

out of the league within 5 years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
John Slaney 2.0

at some point, he'll be part of a package in a big trade, or traded straight up for something his supporters will scream bloody murder about.

I disagree 100% about being out of the league in five years, but he could be involved in a trade.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he will be involved in a trade... getting healthy scratched now... let him play VS Philly, pray he has a good game and deal him there!!.. philly needs a kick in the butt and guarenteed holmgren will make some deals soon

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
John Slaney 2.0

This seems absurd to me. I don't think he's an everyday player just yet, but he's been great so far this year in limited minutes. I'm very happy with his progression and expect him to cement his spot in the lineup by the end of the season. They've handled him carefully but well to this point, and I expect it's because they intend to keep him around for a little while.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Rundblad+ for Couts and you have a deal. :)

haha yup... ya Phoenix will be doing something soon I'd imagine. They have lots of dmen on 1 way deals. And lets face it, getting healthy scratched is not a very good thing haha.. just shows that the coach feels they have a better chance winning with certain guys in the press box

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
There are healthy scratches and there are healthy scratches. With 7 other nhl quality dmen, I'm not sure we can make far reaching conclusions based on the one scratch.
He's actually played the body a few times which has surprised me. I've really enjoyed him. I've never liked Schlemko. Deal him to EDM because he always plays well against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad