Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
Maybe I misunderstood, but you said you'd be ok with Smith/Jurco for Wideman. I dont know much about Smith, but you also said he's not good, so that's not a really good sales pitch.

Yeah, it was just previously mentioned and as a Wings fan I'd be happy with it.

Honestly though its a very fair trade for both teams. Smith is expandable for us because we have 3/4 guys in the minors on D ready to make the jump next season.

I should reiterate about Smith not being good; He's just a bonehead.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I would do Smith/Jurco for Wideman. Then I would try to ship Russell for picks somewhere else (we already have too many LHD).

Gio-Brodie
Kulak/Smith-Hamilton
Smith/Kulak-Engelland
Smid

Looks good to me cap-wise (around 23M$).

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
I would do Smith/Jurco for Wideman. Then I would try to ship Russell for picks somewhere else (we already have too many LHD).

Gio-Brodie
Kulak/Smith-Hamilton
Smith/Kulak-Engelland
Smid

Looks good to me cap-wise (around 23M$).

Cool, wanted to see what Wideman's value was.

Seems to be:

Depth D + mid-high prospect

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We actually have too many right d. Everyone buy Russell, Gio and Brodie but Brodie plays RD anyway.

Id do the trade. It would allow us to re-sign Russell who I much prefer to Wideman.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
We actually have too many right d. Everyone buy Russell, Gio and Brodie but Brodie plays RD anyway.

Id do the trade. It would allow us to re-sign Russell who I much prefer to Wideman.

I'd do Smith + Jurco but not Smith + Pulkinnen.

Thats opinion-based but I don't think too many Wings fans would disapprove of the deal. Helps both teams

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith is more a lesser version of Brodie I'd say. Good skating two way. His offensive ability is no where near Wideman or a strength to be considered a similar player to him.

I think Smith would be a good add for us, I think he'd look good with Engelland.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Smith - Engelland

Last edited:

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
I think Smith would be a good add for us, I think he'd look good with Engelland.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smith - Engelland

Wideman/Brodie/Russel would be coming the other way so you'd have to fill a hole there.

I think Smith is best used in offensive situations so the 1st or 2nd pairing would be best for him. A versatile #1 guy is the best possible partner for him since he makes mistakes and likes to jump in the rush. He doesn't pick the best times to pinch so he needs someone fast and reliable enough to prevent a 2 on 1. It should be noted that although I'd personally pair him as a top dman, Smith is a 5th or 6th defenceman. Thats his issue because he isn't a good fit on the bottom pairing and plays best with the top guys.

His best hockey in Detroit has come on the PP and when playing with Kronwall

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wideman/Brodie/Russel would be coming the other way so you'd have to fill a hole there.

I think Smith is best used in offensive situations so the 1st or 2nd pairing would be best for him. A versatile #1 guy is the best possible partner for him since he makes mistakes and likes to jump in the rush. He doesn't pick the best times to pinch so he needs someone fast and reliable enough to prevent a 2 on 1. It should be noted that although I'd personally pair him as a top dman, Smith is a 5th or 6th defenceman. Thats his issue because he isn't a good fit on the bottom pairing and plays best with the top guys.

led7Ocx.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I put Wideman's name where I meant to put Hamilton :facepalm:

Smith would have a shot at supplanting Russell to play with Hamilton, but he wouldn't get a sniff of our top pairing.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
He has potential, but he needs to step up and help me in my fantasy league. And I need to not sit him because I was scared of Washington's offense. :cry:

Haha yeah that sucks!

Mrazek has been great all season but Detroits D is pretty horrendous so far. Last season he was battling inconsistency but hes been really good this year

He basically does what he needs to win the game, whether it be 3 goals against or 0 he usually gets it done

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Haha yeah that sucks!

Mrazek has been great all season but Detroits D is pretty horrendous so far. Last season he was battling inconsistency but hes been really good this year

He basically does what he needs to win the game, whether it be 3 goals against or 0 he usually gets it done
Oh I know, he hasn't been a disappointment at all. He just hasn't been godlike when dressed for my team :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

If they're in that weak a position, they should just sit it out until the deadline. Dealing from a position of weakness certainly isn't going to improve your team, so may as well grit it out until there's some serious desire for rental players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad