Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think it is fully plausible to believe we get a late first for Wideman. What many fans ignore is the fact that when Wideman is slightly sheltered he is an absolute offensive machine. Teams who are heavy with defensive defenceman could truly benefit from having Wideman and would most likely pay the price. Here in Calgary too much is asked of Wideman, almost every game he leads our team in ice time. A late first is no where out of the question. If we retained salary we could potentially get more.

You missed the point that any contender that might give you the late first doesn't have the cap space next year to add in Wideman.

I doubt that Calgary eats half his salary (which is what would be required to get a decent return) as they need that cap space themselves.

Next year Wideman weight have some value.

But he's going to have to start playing decently if he's ever to have any value.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Russell and Wideman can both get dealt if we suck. Gio, Brodie and Hamilton are going no where. Engelland and Smid are both excellent options in some form for our bottom pairing. Now factor in, Wotherspoon, Nakladal, Culkin, Kulak, Morrison, Sieloff, then Andersson and Kylington the following year, well I want to us open some spots for the youth we have coming up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would really like the Flames to offer a contract to Brandon Tanev after this season. I love the energy he brings. He also seems like the type that would turn it up when playing his brother's team.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I would really like the Flames to offer a contract to Brandon Tanev after this season. I love the energy he brings. He also seems like the type that would turn it up when playing his brother's team.

I like him as well, small guy but really energetic. How bout a rough night for him getting hit dirty twice by the same guy :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
After watching Tom Wilson last night (and being a fan of his even at his draft) I wonder if the Caps would move him. Third year, progress hasn't gone as well as predicted it'd be going. The guy has a lot of skill, but tends to play like a goon. Caps are definitely in win-now mode; I wonder if they'd be willing to move him. If he puts his game together (and is given a chance to) he'd be a monster as a PF. That RW slot is up for grabs on the top line too. I'd like to see what a space creator would do with Monny and Johnny.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
After watching Tom Wilson last night (and being a fan of his even at his draft) I wonder if the Caps would move him. Third year, progress hasn't gone as well as predicted it'd be going. The guy has a lot of skill, but tends to play like a goon. Caps are definitely in win-now mode; I wonder if they'd be willing to move him. If he puts his game together (and is given a chance to) he'd be a monster as a PF. That RW slot is up for grabs on the top line too. I'd like to see what a space creator would do with Monny and Johnny.

Maybe we can send Hudler there for Wilson and 1st..?

bWo*

No salary on the caps and they won't trade willy regardless unless it's for an overpayment, the organization and the fans loves him

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Regarding the RW position, I'd like it if the Flames drafted DeBrincat. The only issue is that by the end of the season he could be ranked anywhere between the top 5 (admittedly unlikely given his height) and the top 25, and we don't know where the Flames will be drafting, so it's difficult to say whether he'll be available for them. But he'll be dynamite in the NHL, IMO. A dynamic, high-scoring winger with a great shot and positioning is just what the Flames (and practically every other team) need.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Issue with Calgary this year, is we might find ourselves in some really bad territory. This team has the ability to hang with the big boys, but clearly it's not been working this year. The last thing I want from the team is to be in that ugly middle-ground; where we're not good enough for a playoff spot, but not bad enough for a great draft pick.

I'd say that if by December we're 10 points or more out of the playoff picture, it'd be time to sell on all our veterans to guarantee a bottom finish.

The best option would be playoffs. The second best option would be a top pick and more cap flexibility.

I'm just saying, Calgary lands the 1st overall, throws big money at Stamkos this off-season:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Stamkos
Matthews - Bennett - Frolik

Would there be a better top 6 in the league? It's worth dreaming about :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The Issue with Calgary this year, is we might find ourselves in some really bad territory. This team has the ability to hang with the big boys, but clearly it's not been working this year. The last thing I want from the team is to be in that ugly middle-ground; where we're not good enough for a playoff spot, but not bad enough for a great draft pick.

I'd say that if by December we're 10 points or more out of the playoff picture, it'd be time to sell on all our veterans to guarantee a bottom finish.

The season might be lost, but I'd wait until trade deadline to make any bigger moves. Selling all the veterans in december is not a good sign for the younger guys in the team, and they also need someone to lead them by example.

If younger guys learn the wrong ways, it's not easy to fix. See: Edmonton Oilers.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC

The best option would be playoffs. The second best option would be a top pick and more cap flexibility.

I'm just saying, Calgary lands the 1st overall, throws big money at Stamkos this off-season:

It would probably be the most expensive :laugh:

Aug 21, 2014

We'd still let in 4 goals a game. :naughty:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Had the pleasure of listening to Eric Francis be a guest on XM NHL Radio on my drive in. First thing he did was say "the Flames are done." Second thing was to blame everyhing on the goalies. Then he had some interesting comments about Hudler. Said "he's not good for this team... I'll just leave it at that," but it was vague whether he was talking about on-ice or off-ice. He believes there was a strong chance we would've traded Hudler at the deadline even if we'd been in a playoff spot, and that there's zero chance the Flames want him back next season.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Had the pleasure of listening to Eric Francis be a guest on XM NHL Radio on my drive in. First thing he did was say "the Flames are done." Second thing was to blame everyhing on the goalies. Then he had some interesting comments about Hudler. Said "he's not good for this team... I'll just leave it at that," but it was vague whether he was talking about on-ice or off-ice. He believes there was a strong chance we would've traded Hudler at the deadline even if we'd been in a playoff spot, and that there's zero chance the Flames want him back next season.

Damn thats rough.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Blaming Ramo is pretty sad.. It's not his fault. We just aren't playing good puck and Chicago straight up dominated us last night.

Again, I've been saying this the whole time. We are not done. Not at all. Despite how discouraging everything looks right now.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Blaming Ramo is pretty sad.. It's not his fault. We just aren't playing good puck and Chicago straight up dominated us last night.

Again, I've been saying this the whole time. We are not done. Not at all. Despite how discouraging everything looks right now.

The Flames aren't done, but things are looking grim. Calgary needs to pick this up soon, otherwise this season will be over.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

No. Definitely no. Gaudreau and Monahan need raises still. Bennett will likely get a big raise once his ELC is done. Flames cannot afford Stamkos. He'll likely get 10m+ per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad