Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hiller + Russell for bishop + 4th + depth dman

Yeah no. Tampa isn't dealing Ben Bishop before the season is over. They won't go for the cup with only Vasilevski in net. Even if he takes the starting job they would rather hang onto Bishop in case of injury or Vasilevski faltering.

And the value for Tampa is ****ing awful.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Hiller + Russell for bishop + 4th + depth dman

Bishop is considered an excellent goalie, one that came close to winning a Stanley Cup last year.

He played well in the finals even though he was obviously injured.

You certainly won't get him for assorted junk.

There would have to be at least one premium and cheap piece coming back.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'd rather not trade for a goalie and ride out this season. Free agency has lots of "interesting" options and reclamation projects.

Cam Ward, Anders Nilsson, Cam Talbot and James Riemer would all be options to look at. (I actually think Nilsson could be a great buy-low #1G in the making.)

Via trade (if the price was right) guys like Frederik Andersen, Ben Bishop, Neuvirth, Michal Neuvirth, and Jonathan Bernier.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
Value of : Wideman to Detroit

Hey everyone,

Quincey just had surgery and is expected out for 9-12 weeks.

I was wondering what you would expect out of a return with a trade with Detroit for Wideman.

Feel free to name drop some players :)

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Hey everyone,

Quincey just had surgery and is expected out for 9-12 weeks.

I was wondering what you would expect out of a return with a trade with Detroit for Wideman.

Feel free to name drop some players :)

Well we need a 2nd line LWer and an NHL goalie who stops at least 91% of pucks shot towards him regularly.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
Well we need a 2nd line LWer and an NHL goalie who stops at least 91% of pucks shot towards him regularly.

Yeah, I've heard CGY is looking to dump a dman for an NHL ready forward.

Anything realistic you could see making sense?

untouchable forwards in Detroit are probably:
Dats
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Larkin

Goalies:
Mrazek

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Believe these were proposed by a Red Wings fan on the trade board earlier:

Smith+Pulkkinen/Jurco for Wideman.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
Believe these were proposed by a Red Wings fan on the trade board earlier:

Smith+Pulkkinen/Jurco for Wideman.

Not horrible, but Smith isn't very good.As a bottom pairing guy, he can be effective and has a good breakout pass. You guys would be saving some caphit and also be receiving a potential gem in Pulkinnen, who I'm not sure I'd like to give up.

Smith/Jurco would be good with me

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not horrible, but Smith isn't very good.As a bottom pairing guy, he can be effective and has a good breakout pass. You guys would be saving some caphit and also be receiving a potential gem in Pulkinnen, who I'm not sure I'd like to give up.

So you say Smith isnt very good and then you offer him. Why would the Flames do that?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think the Flames would prefer Pulkinnen because he's a right handed shot. But the Flames could use a young left winger like Jurco too, so either way really.

Smith seems like a lesser version of Wideman. But with Gaudreau and Monahan needing new contracts, the Flames can't afford to have a 5.25M bottom pairing defensemen when their sixth and seventh guys make a combined 6.4M. The 2.5M they'll save in cap hits is a big deal, especially since I doubt Wideman can be traded without some salary coming back.

Smith is fairly mobile, right? If so, he'd be a good complement for either Engelland or Smid on the bottom pairing.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
So you say Smith isnt very good and then you offer him. Why would the Flames do that?

I didn't offer him :)

He still has value, hes young and he has ALL the tools but seems to make wrong decisions, hes just not used properly in Detroit. He plays his best hockey on the top pairing and on the PP.

I think he'd be a good fit in CGY, tbh.

As for Mantha, there would have to be a much higher return than Wideman haha. I don't think wings brass is ready to give him up just yet.

As for the Jurco,Pulks debate, you have two very different players.

Jurco has supreme potential but wasn't developed properly and its unclear if he'll crack the NHL regularly. Hes been a healthy scratch all season. Pulkinen also has crazy potential but seems to be an undersized one trick pony with his slapshot.

Personally, Id rather see Jurco go the other way so you guys probably want Pulkinnen :D

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I think the Flames would prefer Pulkinnen because he's a right handed shot. But the Flames could use a young left winger like Jurco too, so either way really.

Smith seems like a lesser version of Wideman. But with Gaudreau and Monahan needing new contracts, the Flames can't afford to have a 5.25M bottom pairing defensemen when their sixth and seventh guys make a combined 6.4M. The 2.5M they'll save in cap hits is a big deal, especially since I doubt Wideman can be traded without some salary coming back.

Smith is more a lesser version of Brodie I'd say. Good skating two way. His offensive ability is no where near Wideman or a strength to be considered a similar player to him.

Datsyuk13Deke

Oct 14, 2013
Smith is more a lesser version of Brodie I'd say. Good skating two way. His offensive ability is no where near Wideman or a strength to be considered a similar player to him.

Smith is an excellent skater and a very good passer. Not horrible defensively.

Having said that, he's likely the most unaware hockey player I've ever seen play.

If he made better decisions, he'd be a very legit defenceman

I don't know enough about CGY's Dmen other than Giordano to make a comparison but Brodie seems fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad