Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
1-43.jpg

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I have no idea why this board loves Bernier so much. He is mediocrity incarnate.

id still swing that trade everyday. wotherspoon could be solid, maybe shore too but bernier and ortio/gillies next year is a solid duo. He's under contract for the season after this so it allows gillies to play an extra year in the minors. I'm a believer in bernier, and he doesn't have to be great for the trade to make sense. i think he'd be a #1 goalie for us.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Id do that trade every day of the week. Hiller, Shore and Wotherspoon are expendable pieces, and Bernier does have potential still.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no idea why this board loves Bernier so much. He is mediocrity incarnate.
I think Bernier still has potential to be a decent starter in this league. He's stuck behind one of the worst teams in the NHL. That said the upgrade is not enough to be worth Shore & Wotherspoon

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Bernier still has potential to be a decent starter in this league. He's stuck behind one of the worst teams in the NHL. That said the upgrade is not enough to be worth Shore & Wotherspoon

TBH I don't think Shore and Wotherspoon are worth much, if anything at this point, if they're not there yet, they're very close.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
TBH I don't think Shore and Wotherspoon are worth much, if anything at this point, if they're not there yet, they're very close.
Maybe not Shore, but people are writing off Wotherspoon way too early, the guy is only in his third pro season. He's a solid all around defenseman, as I said in another thread though I think he is like the Matt Stajan of defensemen (does everything well, has few weak points, but is not exceptional at anything) and it gets him overlooked.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

He was fantastic when he first went to Toronto, but he's been bludgeoned by the abysmal play in front of him for the last few years, and now he's a goalie with zero confidence. It's similar to the pummelling that Dubnyk's confidence took in Edmonton, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if someday Bernier gets a similar redemption.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
He was fantastic when he first went to Toronto, but he's been bludgeoned by the abysmal play in front of him for the last few years, and now he's a goalie with zero confidence. It's similar to the pummelling that Dubnyk's confidence took in Edmonton, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if someday Bernier gets a similar redemption.

Im not sure the Flames are a place where goaltenders come to build their confidence back...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bernier is the definition of average, he had one good season and the hype train got rolling. Not an upgrade on Ramo at all IMO. Plus Ramo has clearly found his game

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Maybe not Shore, but people are writing off Wotherspoon way too early, the guy is only in his third pro season. He's a solid all around defenseman, as I said in another thread though I think he is like the Matt Stajan of defensemen (does everything well, has few weak points, but is not exceptional at anything) and it gets him overlooked.

I'm not writing him off, I see NHL potential there, but he's been passed in the system and seems to have stagnated, with our depth and growing prospect depth, not sure he has a future with us.

I wouldn't be against trading him and giving him a chance elsewhere while he still has a little value.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bernier had 1 good season. 1!

The perception that he's a legit starting goalie is a result of the hype train that comes from Toronto when a player plays well for 5 games.
Realistically he belongs in that interchangeable goalie grouping. Guy's that are borderline starters, that are replaceable and cost a dime a dozen to acquire.

He is not an upgrade on Ramo or Hiller IMO. If we want an upgrade I think Bishop or Howard are the only real answers as they have two of the best young goalies behind them and both are legit #1 guys.
Personally, I think we stick with Ramo. Time and time again he proves that when he plays a lot, he plays like a legit starter. I think he's proving that again.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Should be somewhere near that 50-60 mark if he continues playing like he has.

I said 50 at the start of the year. Could be up to 65.

He'll challenge for the Calder.

Thanks guys ! Hope he wins the Calder.

And I hope you guys win a cup next few years so Oilers can shut up and we laugh at their horrible rebuild. I think you guys will be competitive for years to come and should make for exciting times in the NHL.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
The reason Bernier is sucking so bad is because he's shooting that Hockey Wives show. Like who else on that show is having a good time on the ice? :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any interest in Varlamov?

This guy has been an excellent goalie over the past 3-4 years, this year he has been fairly bad though. I mean, yeah, for the right price. His cap hit is 6 million dollars though; that's a lot.

I mean if the Avs took back a couple of our bad contracts, then I could see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad