• Xavier Bourgault

• Reid Schaefer

• 2023 1st Round Pick

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
There sure seems to be an increasing number of Leafs and Bruins fans on twitter who think they have the inside track on Chychrun and it will be done shortly.

Though I've yet to see one credible rumor that would lead them to that conclusion.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Capfriendly lists Barbashev as playing all 3 forward positions. I haven't watched him enough to know how good he is on his off wing... but a lot of Russians play their off wing so I'd assume he's ok there as well.
Last year when he scored 60 pts he played center. So he's skilled in all 3 positions as I understand it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Barbashev has a career shooting pct of 17.9% so he can really snipe the puck... except the downside is he only gets a little more than 1 shot per game... so he appears to really pick his spots.... although if he gets any time in the top 6 with the Oilers he's going to get some great setups to snipe.

I also notice that only 13 of his career 173 pts are on the PP... so the guy doesn't just depend on juicy PP time to inflate his totals.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
The guy that scored 20 goals and 40 points last season was pretty valuable.

Yup. And the guy who has scored 4 goals and 12 points this year isn't too valuable.

Do you have a time machine to bring 2021-22 Yamamoto back or are you betting his health returns?

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Crosby signed his deal in 2013. Things have changed drastically since then. Drai is years removed from signing his as well.

I agree it's an overpay, but it's in the same vein as the Nurse overpay imo. 1.5 ain't gonna sink a team and he's just hitting his prime at 27. Gonna give them at least 5 or 6 good years, I think.

Yep i agree if he can perform for the next 5-7 years the 1.5 shouldn’t be a huge deal. He reminds me a bit of Toews though, not the fastest skater nor the most skilled, so hopefully his decline won’t be as drastic as him

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He also doesn’t really kill penalties. He has and even this year he does a bit but it’s not really a strength. We need a pker bad if we want to make a serious run.
He's averaged about 1:22 per game on the PK over the past 5 seasons... which is a reasonable amount of time for a forward.

Add that to the fact he plays all 3 forward positions and he's pretty much a "do it all" type utility forward... has pretty good hands and is somewhat physical as well. At a cap hit of $2.25 million (which would likely have retention if a deal is made)... you can't expect a lot more than that.

I know Barbashev looks to be a lot more useful at his cap hit than certain Oilers players making more than that.

Barbashev would rank 5th on the Oilers in EV pts right now.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's averaged about 1:22 per game on the PK over the past 5 seasons... which is a reasonable amount of time for a forward.

Add that to the fact he plays all 3 forward positions and he's pretty much a "do it all" type utility forward... has pretty good hands and is somewhat physical as well. At a cap hit of $2.25 million (which would likely have retention if a deal is made)... you can't expect a lot more than that.

I know Barbashev looks to be a lot more useful at his cap hit than certain Oilers players making more than that.
No argument there. He would be a good add I just feel as a pure rental I care most about GA coming down this year. Improving the PK is the easiest way to do that so I would rather our focus be on finding a high end penalty killer over a depth scorer. Always liked barbashev though he’s a gritty guy who can shoot the pill.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He's a really good fit for this team, imo. And I'm not worried about the slowed offense in the playoffs (not ideal though), because that tends to happen to depth players in the playoffs.

The fact the, as you said, can play all 3 positions gives the Oilers options during a playoff grind. Plus he's been there before.

If you're the Oilers and you can replace Janmark, Foegele, Shore and Puljujarvi with Barbashev, Lafferty, Bjugstad and Domi, you're team is much better off upfront.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the team can find a way to move Bouchard for Chychrun, then move something for Gudas at (50%), this blueline gets very good.

Nurse - Gudas
Chychrun - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Broberg - Desharnais

I feel like they have the assets and space to do, they just have to be creative and aggressive.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
There sure seems to be an increasing number of Leafs and Bruins fans on twitter who think they have the inside track on Chychrun and it will be done shortly.

Though I've yet to see one credible rumor that would lead them to that conclusion.
Good, let them self-destruct. Imagine a bidding war over a player you want to stay away from at all costs. Everyday I'm like f*** I hope they didn't do it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
FWIW, I talked to a scout the other night that thinks every team is just afraid of Chychruns injury history. If you're paying that steep of a price, you want to be sure he's playing deep in the playoffs for you.

I almost wonder if the right answer is one of the 1sts being conditional in 2026 based on a criteria of games played?

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I almost wonder if the right answer is one of the 1sts being conditional in 2026 based on a criteria of games played?

That's a really good example of a GM getting creative. If Chycrun plays 200+ games in the 3+ seasons with the acquiring team then the 2026 pick is a first. Between 150 and 200 games it becomes a second. With a scale along those lines.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If the team can find a way to move Bouchard for Chychrun, then move something for Gudas at (50%), this blueline gets very good.

Nurse - Gudas
Chychrun - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Broberg - Desharnais

I feel like they have the assets and space to do, they just have to be creative and aggressive.
so trading a 23 year old offensive D man for a 32 year soon to be UFA?

Reactions: Darkwinter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad