Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Even at 8.5? Vs 7?
Absolutely.

People like to pretend that having any players being overpaid is going to kill a team but it's just not the case. Having a couple of guys making a mil or two more than they should likely won't sink you unless you've bungled the entire remainder of your roster, and most free agent signings are viewed as overpayments. Just sort of the nature of the free market. I really like Horvat the player, Horvat the captain, and Horvat the person based on what I've seen of him given I'm a local here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think thats a good deal for Seattle. I thought he would cost more. Decent dman but maybe he just shows better in Oilers games than other teams. Hes big. And he makes 762k next year. Maybe it opens the door for Yamamoto for Soucy ? haha

Dumb move by the Sharks really.

We already have Kulak and Broberg for the bottom pairing. Why would we want Soucy as well? He's a ~16 minute a night d-man. Aside from his size and the fact he's from Alberta, I don't get why this board perpetually is so interested in the player.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We already have Kulak and Broberg for the bottom pairing. Why would we want Soucy as well? He's a ~16 minute a night d-man. Aside from his size and the fact he's from Alberta, I don't get why this board perpetually is so interested in the player.

Mainly because its gets rid of Yamamotos second year. Probably prevents wasting a first on Gavrikov, whos likely not that much better.

I'd like to get a top 4 dman whos not injury prone. I dont see the team being creative to find guys though. And Ekholm and Prororovs cap are probably too high.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
NBA trade involving Kyrie Irving...the Mavericks sent them future, future picks along with two roster players. A 2029 1st and 2029 second plus a 2027 second.

I'm just trying to imagine a similar trade in the NHL where a team doesn't get futures for 7 years. Or what GM would accept those picks so far down the road.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Sharks are gearing up for a Bedard run. I bet they’d take some short term money (Yamo/Foegele) if we ponied up some juicy picks for Meier, then flip him for Provorov or Ekholm. I could see the Flyers wanting Meier, and even offering Provorov+ If they could talk extension with him first.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
NBA trade involving Kyrie Irving...the Mavericks sent them future, future picks along with two roster players. A 2029 1st and 2029 second plus a 2027 second.

I'm just trying to imagine a similar trade in the NHL where a team doesn't get futures for 7 years. Or what GM would accept those picks so far down the road.
It’s a gamble that the Mavs will be bad again by then. The Knicks basically guessed how long Doncic will stay with the Mavs.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
8.5 for Horvat is bonkers. That’s gonna be an albatross contract starting next year.
By itself it's iffy. Combine it with the 8 forwards over 30 on their roster, many with long term deals, and they are definitely in a win now mode. Don't think they are good enough, but maybe more deals to come. Horvat is the third youngest forward at 27.

asa

Mar 3, 2014
Looking into it again, he did end up being acquitted and claimed he wasn't driving. There would still be an issue even if he wasn't driving. Hopefully he learned from it.

Taking all of it into consideration, I think each of them would bring something positive to the team.
Did I miss something? What’s the mistake that Toews made?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
By itself it's iffy. Combine it with the 8 forwards over 30 on their roster, many with long term deals, and they are definitely in a win now mode. Don't think they are good enough, but maybe more deals to come. Horvat is the third youngest forward at 27.
That and Lou Lou may not even be alive to see the end of this contract anyways

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The Sharks are gearing up for a Bedard run. I bet they’d take some short term money (Yamo/Foegele) if we ponied up some juicy picks for Meier, then flip him for Provorov or Ekholm. I could see the Flyers wanting Meier, and even offering Provorov+ If they could talk extension with him first.
Why wouldn't Philly deal directly with the Sharks?
Why dont we deal say for Provo and JVR and offer them 1st 2nd yamo and JP and Lavoie directly and get 50 percent retention on JVR and 1 mil retention on Provo.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Meier is my top forward target... no doubt he'd be fairly pricey to acquire though... but another legit sniper in the top 6 would be deadly and would make this team clearly the best offensive team in the NHL... right now there's a few other teams still in that conversation.

Team would still need some help on D... but with the better structure and chemistry this team has developed recently... I think team D is much more of a "team thing" rather than something that one player added to the lineup can deliver.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Absolutely.

People like to pretend that having any players being overpaid is going to kill a team but it's just not the case. Having a couple of guys making a mil or two more than they should likely won't sink you unless you've bungled the entire remainder of your roster, and most free agent signings are viewed as overpayments. Just sort of the nature of the free market. I really like Horvat the player, Horvat the captain, and Horvat the person based on what I've seen of him given I'm a local here.
You got that right yet they don't see the difference between overpaying a star center, not a superstar center, about to reach UFA status by 1M and overpaying someone like Yamamoto by 1.5M.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Remember as well that Zadina was a Holland 1st round pick when he was with the Red Wings so he likely holds the player in fairly high regard... sentimentalism over his Red Wing days likely still runs strong in his mind over those good old days.

Reactions: Magnum23

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It’s a gamble that the Mavs will be bad again by then. The Knicks basically guessed how long Doncic will stay with the Mavs.
There's a method to the madness somewhere...you'd think Brooklyn would want to have those picks sooner than that but the NBA and the NFL always gave trades that make me ask what the hell is this?-ha.

I'm just imagining Holland offering JP, Kesselring and a pair of early round picks a half decade away for Chychrun and Gary or Bill Daly or whoever is the Coyotes GM is right now being okay with it.

Reactions: Cloned

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think you can’t trade picks over 3 years in the future.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Toews hasn't been good defensively for a few years.

We don't need an offensive player only. We need a 2 way player or a defensive player to help the PK
Its true that JVR is a minute man. If he stays much more than a minute on the ice he becomes a major defensive liability. Whats with his stamina anyways....was he not willing to pay the price to gain or....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad