Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Things we can't talk nicely about so won't talk about at all:
  • Politics
  • Cloned's moustache
  • Provorov

This is a new thread. Don't get thread banned because you scrolled past and didn't read this, no excuses. No talking about Cloned's moustache. Also no Provorov talk. Only warning.

-----

Poll inspired by DNB's piece in the Athletic, specifically this snippet:

Broberg and Holloway are considered all but off the table in trades. That leaves prospects like Xavier Bourgault and Reid Schaefer as possible trade chips. This year's first-round pick is believed to be in play at this point.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Took a stab at an Oilers roster with Ekholm as I've said before I do have some reservations about the cap-hit, term, and his age, but if we are trying to compete right now he is a pretty ideal fit for what we lack.

To me it seems unlikely we would trade all 3 of Pulju, Foegele, and Yamo at a single deadline, I presumed the one with the most health uncertainty is the most likely to stay (Yamo). Also assumed it is unlikely Holland of all GM's would trade Kulak so soon after extending him. Also went with the assumption that NSH is not likely willing to retain salary. While this to me looks like a roster that has a good chance (not a great chance) at winning a Cup, our cap in the following season would be so tight it would be a real struggle to get everyone extended without atleast 1 or 2 trades in the offseason.

Trade 1:
To NSH: Edm 1st rd pick (2013)+ Edm 2nd rd pick (2013) + Warren Foegele
To EDM: Mattias Ekholm

I think this is a pretty solid return for Ekholm all things considered and with the draft in NSH a few extra picks seem like something they'd be interested in to start re-tooling their roster.

Trade 2:
To MTL: Jesse Puljujarvi
To EDM: Jake Evans + Mtl 4th rd pick (2023)

Evans is pretty similar to McLeod a fast center who can chip in some offense and PK (RH center BTW), a bit of a rough season for him with his shooting percentage in the dumps, but a reasonable reclamation project who saves us a bit of cap on the season and going forward can contest the 3C spot so it's a little less McLeod's by default. My strategy is fast centers who can back check quickly will help mitigate some of what we lack on the defense being overly green. For MTL a pretty long history with Finnish players and they are a bad team so trying for some homerun potential reclamation projects makes sense.

Trade 3:
To ARI: Tyson Barrie
To EDM: Christian Fischer + Fla 2nd pick (2024)

With respect to Barrie I actually didn't find any good fits for him on playoff bound teams, a central issue is we are trying to unload cap and most want to give us back an equal amount of cap back, the closest fit is CAR who have a crap powerplay and the cap room now that Pacioretty is likely done for the foreseeable future, though I think they might still hold out hope that Burns can get the job done. Why I think it makes sense for ARI is they are likely shipping out both Chychrun and Gostisbehere, so they can use a PP guy (and enough scoring to keep fans in the seats) and with Barrie they can trade him again next trade deadline for likely another decent return. ARI just seems to be stuck in a holding pattern of farming out talent to other teams and eating cap, but the goal is accumulating a lot of futures and hoping to get a really strong cluster of players to build a proper team from. Fischer is a Jekyl and Hyde player sometimes he looks solid with potential other times he's entirely invisible or flat out bad, I do think he plays better when the pace is higher and I'm hopeful meaningful hockey can bring more of the good parts out of his game.

Line-up:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Kostin
Janmark - McLeod - Yamamoto
Holloway - Evans - Fischer
ex: D. Ryan

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Desharnais
ex: Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

Cap-hit= $82.45M

With regards to roster balance a lot of the bottom 6 can be readily interchanged, our LHD is clearly better and more experienced than our RHD side, so I suspect some of LHD will have to play together at some points to get the mins properly balanced. In respect to Broberg sitting I do still see a 11F and 7 D as the go to format for the group that we have so it's more likely our 12th Fwd will sit most nights opposed to Broberg. With the additions of Kane back, plus Desharnais on the team, and trading for Ekholm we've got a pretty tough bunch, but in our bottom six forwards you could say that element is lacking I went a bit more speed and skill oriented, but you could certainly swap out one piece there to get a bit more of that element.

Reactions: stewy04

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Would be awesome to get Horvat but how do we fit him in? If we have to choose between Horvat or one of Chychrun/Provorov I'm moving on a defenceman.

How do we free up space for Horvat, by moving both Yamo and JP?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Would be awesome to get Horvat but how do we fit him in? If we have to choose between Horvat or one of Chychrun/Provorov I'm moving on a defenceman.

How do we free up space for Horvat, by moving both Yamo and JP?
Ekholm, you spelled Ekholm wrong, it would be great to get both, but that's alot of assets

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Took a stab at an Oilers roster with Ekholm as I've said before I do have some reservations about the cap-hit, term, and his age, but if we are trying to compete right now he is a pretty ideal fit for what we lack.

Unless Kulak is going out, I don't want a player with term coming back.

Broberg is the real deal. Obviously not ready to be a second pairing defense this season, but I don't want him blocked from that role next year.

A guy like Ekholm is super expensive which makes it really tough to improve elsewhere.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Has Broberg turned that big of a corner recently? Last game was the first I’ve watched in quite awhile and while he played ok, I didn’t see anything that amazing.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

To me it seems unlikely we would trade all 3 of Pulju, Foegele, and Yamo at a single deadline, I presumed the one with the most health uncertainty is the most likely to stay (Yamo). Also assumed it is unlikely Holland of all GM's would trade Kulak so soon after extending him. Also went with the assumption that NSH is not likely willing to retain salary. While this to me looks like a roster that has a good chance (not a great chance) at winning a Cup, our cap in the following season would be so tight it would be a real struggle to get everyone extended without atleast 1 or 2 trades in the offseason.

Trade 1:
To NSH: Edm 1st rd pick (2013)+ Edm 2nd rd pick (2013) + Warren Foegele
To EDM: Mattias Ekholm

I think this is a pretty solid return for Ekholm all things considered and with the draft in NSH a few extra picks seem like something they'd be interested in to start re-tooling their roster.

Trade 2:
To MTL: Jesse Puljujarvi
To EDM: Jake Evans + Mtl 4th rd pick (2023)

Evans is pretty similar to McLeod a fast center who can chip in some offense and PK (RH center BTW), a bit of a rough season for him with his shooting percentage in the dumps, but a reasonable reclamation project who saves us a bit of cap on the season and going forward can contest the 3C spot so it's a little less McLeod's by default. My strategy is fast centers who can back check quickly will help mitigate some of what we lack on the defense being overly green. For MTL a pretty long history with Finnish players and they are a bad team so trying for some homerun potential reclamation projects makes sense.

Trade 3:
To ARI: Tyson Barrie
To EDM: Christian Fischer + Fla 2nd pick (2024)

With respect to Barrie I actually didn't find any good fits for him on playoff bound teams, a central issue is we are trying to unload cap and most want to give us back an equal amount of cap back, the closest fit is CAR who have a crap powerplay and the cap room now that Pacioretty is likely done for the foreseeable future, though I think they might still hold out hope that Burns can get the job done. Why I think it makes sense for ARI is they are likely shipping out both Chychrun and Gostisbehere, so they can use a PP guy (and enough scoring to keep fans in the seats) and with Barrie they can trade him again next trade deadline for likely another decent return. ARI just seems to be stuck in a holding pattern of farming out talent to other teams and eating cap, but the goal is accumulating a lot of futures and hoping to get a really strong cluster of players to build a proper team from. Fischer is a Jekyl and Hyde player sometimes he looks solid with potential other times he's entirely invisible or flat out bad, I do think he plays better when the pace is higher and I'm hopeful meaningful hockey can bring more of the good parts out of his game.

Line-up:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Kostin
Janmark - McLeod - Yamamoto
Holloway - Evans - Fischer
ex: D. Ryan

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Desharnais
ex: Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

Cap-hit= $82.45M

With regards to roster balance a lot of the bottom 6 can be readily interchanged, our LHD is clearly better and more experienced than our RHD side, so I suspect some of LHD will have to play together at some points to get the mins properly balanced. In respect to Broberg sitting I do still see a 11F and 7 D as the go to format for the group that we have so it's more likely our 12th Fwd will sit most nights opposed to Broberg. With the additions of Kane back, plus Desharnais on the team, and trading for Ekholm we've got a pretty tough bunch, but in our bottom six forwards you could say that element is lacking I went a bit more speed and skill oriented, but you could certainly swap out one piece there to get a bit more of that element.
I don’t mind it. Would love Ekholm. Evans is injured and might be out a couple months though. That 3rd line is quite undersized too. Holland really messed up giving Yamamoto a 2 year deal. A buyout this summer is not out of the realm of possibility.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know there was alot of Pat Kane speculation in the last tread, but I suspect it's quiet because he holds the cards, so when decides he ready the deal with happen quickly

Hes kind of having a bad season and his cap hit is high. Wonder if less interest because he probably needs a double retention for a lot of teams.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Hes kind of having a bad season and his cap hit is high. Wonder if less interest because he probably needs a double retention for a lot of teams.
The real dollars are so low I don’t see it being an issue. It’s like 250k real dollars for a 3rd team to take on full retention after the hawks eat half.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Has Broberg turned that big of a corner recently? Last game was the first I’ve watched in quite awhile and while he played ok, I didn’t see anything that amazing.

He and Bouchard work well together. The tend to steady each other's play and their skills are quite complementary.

Broberg has been progressing. Agreed he was just OK against Vancouver. Maybe his worst game in January..

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig