Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am not that big of a fan of Hall

Hall 20+ goals 7 vs Nuges 5(including this year--Hall should pass 20 as well making it 8)

Whether we like it or not you get better contracts when score more goals

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Lets not forget he played one year more then RNH. Hall had one big year. Lets compare it after this season - 1 year for Hall.

Nuge has outscored Hall by 60 points over the last 5 years. Even if you go back 7 years which factors in Hall’s Hart season, Nuge has still outscored him in that time.

Reactions: McSuper

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I am not that big of a fan of Hall

Hall 20+ goals 7 vs Nuges 5(including this year--Hall should pass 20 as well making it 8)

Whether we like it or not you get better contracts when score more goals

Goals absolutely get you paid more than assists, but so does being a 2 way center vs a one dimensional winger

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm looking at the relative costs to acquire them as well.

Everything points to Gavrikov costing a 1st and Schenn would likely be peanuts to acquire. The spread between those 2 players is far less than most think it is.

Gavrikov is a #4 and Schenn is a #6. The cost to acquire them might be far apart, but there’s a reason for it. I’d give a 1st for Gavrikov over a 3rd for Schenn all day. Gavrikov slots into the top 4 whereas Schenn is competing just to get in the lineup

Reactions: Messier11

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Zadina already recalled from his conditioning loan... that's like only 2 days of conditioning. I assume Detroit may be dealing him shortly.

I have a feeling Puljujarvi may be a Red Wing soon.
I'm guessing it's because Grand Rapids doesn't play again until the 10th.

Might as well have him play with the big team instead of practice down there.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Gavrikov is way better than Schenn.

I love Gudas though.
Schenn is probably way cheaper and almost as serviceable as Gav at this point though. If it came down to the 2 of them, I’d lean to Luke to get you through this play off year. Gudas would be a good add if it’s a longer term fill and the deal can be made. Meets the defence needs better than Chychrun in my mind.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gavrikov is way better than Schenn.

I love Gudas though.
the big advantage of Gavrikov over Schenn is that we have an actual spot for him. Schenn would have been great to acquire, but Desharnais is filling that role. I see no point in pushing him off the team.

The whole point of Gavrikov is that he pushes Kulak down the lineup, under the assumption that he is better than Kulak or adds something to 2nd pairing that we need. I have my doubts that he actually does that, but that's the idea. It's up to Holland and his scouts to find that player.

There seems to be a log jam here if we add Gavrikov though, or any Dman for that matter. It's hard to say who would be sent out to make room (or sent down)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Schenn is probably way cheaper and almost as serviceable as Gav at this point though. If it came down to the 2 of them, I’d lean to Luke to get you through this play off year. Gudas would be a good add if it’s a longer term fill and the deal can be made. Meets the defence needs better than Chychrun in my mind.
He’s cheaper because he barely improves this team. (If at all)

Gavrikov probably instantly becomes our 2nd best d-man.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
And he could have signed for 10.5M per and it would have been considered a fair enough number.

14M is you just coming up with a random number like my 10.5

Fact remains McDavid signed for a LOT of money as a RFA.. more than any other forward was making at that time ..
Are you seriously blaming McDavid of all people for taking too much money? We've pretty much been stealing money from him and Draisaitl for the past half decade. Even if he took the league max he'd be worth every penny. Also for the record Chiarelli's rumored original offer was 13.125 million over 8 years and McDavid actually took a bit less. Even if the players were asking for more money you never blame the player for setting their families up with life changing money you blame the GM offering the deal.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Schenn is one of those guys that gets overrated because people see a bunch of hits, but not the massive amount of own zone time where he doesn't have the puck to get those hits.
I'd say he was overrated for pretty much his entire career, but he has caught that rare 2nd wind late in his career, despite being over 30 his last 2 seasons in VAN are about as well as he has played in the last decade, I'd say he is a very solid #5 D and well equipped to be a security blanket for Broberg.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So Yamo is in practice and sounds frustrated he can’t get back onto the active roster until Feb 12. Probably means he’s activated as soon as he can be.

Which would spell the end of JP as an Oiler in the next week or so (unless he’s waived and clears, which I find unlikely).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Are you seriously blaming McDavid of all people for taking too much money? We've pretty much been stealing money from him and Draisaitl for the past half decade. Even if he took the league max he'd be worth every penny. Also for the record Chiarelli's rumored original offer was 13.125 million over 8 years and McDavid actually took a bit less. Even if the players were asking for more money you never blame the player for setting their families up with life changing money you blame the GM offering the deal.
How am I blaming anyone? I only questioned the notion that McDavid should/could have demanded league max coming out of his ELC..

I will also continue to question this 13.125M offer and McDavid demanding to take less for the team until it is confirmed

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Reactions: nexttothemoon

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Zadina already recalled from his conditioning loan... that's like only 2 days of conditioning. I assume Detroit may be dealing him shortly.

I have a feeling Puljujarvi may be a Red Wing soon.
He scored in the one game he was down.

Watched the highlights and that team is absolutely stacked by AHL standards.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
So Yamo is in practice and sounds frustrated he can’t get back onto the active roster until Feb 12. Probably means he’s activated as soon as he can be.

Which would spell the end of JP as an Oiler in the next week or so (unless he’s waived and clears, which I find unlikely).
Yamo may still end up being the one traded away because of his concussions.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I love Horvat but that contract is a massive overpay if this season isn't a fluke. Maybe he's another Hyman that all of a sudden keeps getting better and better as he approaches 30 but that's at least a 2m overpay if he resorts back to a 30 goal, 60 point guy.

It just makes you appreciate Nuge's contract even more.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
"How does McDavid feel about leaving money on the table?

“It really doesn’t matter how we got to this number or term or anything,” he said.

Of course, by taking an eight-year contract, he might have left money on the table regardless. “This might be one of the largest contracts in the history of the NHL, but I assure that it could have been higher and it could have been shorter in term,” said Chiarelli."

So it was a negotiation where the deal ended at 12.5M per ..
Could have been higher, could have been lower..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad