Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Paid Tavares too much, not sure what they expected to be honest.

Not that Tavares is a boat anchor or anything. It's just one of those things that happens when you have three young guys that showed really well, but you go outside to add a 10+mil guy

The thing is they didn’t need Tavares.

Their offense was fine.

Their defense was the problem.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Damn, that's an expensive RFA contract. Matthews is certainly better than Drai but we also bought 3 UFA years with that contract and for than 3M less.

The Leafs should have just bit the bullet on a slightly higher AAV and maxxed out the term. This contract does nothing to ease cap concerns and now Marker should get in the 10 neighborhood minimum.

According to the panel a few weeks ago they could have signed Marner for 8 years at 9 per during the summer but it was too rich for the Leafs liking.

Reactions: OILSLICK94

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Will be interesting to see what happens with marner. They'll let Gardiner walk, probably dump Marleau to AZ with some picks attached and trade Nylander for a Dman.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
More like $15M if the cap doesn't go up at all. If the cap jumps to $83M they'll have $23M.

They'll lose Gardiner (which is a major blow) but the other holes are easily filled internally or on the cheap.

Where are you getting $23M from?

They have $71.9M tied up by 14 players for next season right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing is they didn’t need Tavares.

Their offense was fine.

Their defense was the problem.
I do like the sure thing, but what they should've done is flipped one of the young guys for help when they had a chance.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
yDY3hzC.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
According to the panel a few weeks ago they could have signed Marner for 8 years at 9 per during the summer but it was too rich for the Leafs liking.

They certainly screwed the pooch on that one. That deal would look golden right about now.

Think about this, Matthews makes almost double what Gaudreau makes and buys one less UFA year. I know it's different circumstances and they play different position but damn.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Maybe they can get a cap-floor team to buyout Marleau after July 1st. Can't afford Kapanen assuming Marner doesn't take a home town discount.

I don't know, this line-up doesn't scream Cup contenders to me.
68aba08e-168d-43de-8f45-4dfd043a75f3.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Will Marleau even waive to get bought out? Don't see him going to a lot of places. Unless the plan is to get bought out and then re-sign with TOR or SJ.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
Burke said a couple weeks ago that he thought they would trade Nylander in the summer. Dubas says he won't, but what choice does he have? I think they trade either Nylander or Zaitsev, and I think Zaitsev will be harder to move.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
McDavid and Drai contracts could end up being Chia's best moves imo.

Talbot, Maroon, Chiasson all good too I guess, but much shorter term gain.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So with Matthews getting a stupid contract, they can't afford Gardiner and Kapanen. We should steal Kappy this summer.

3.5m x 3 year offersheet

I think it would cost only a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

North

Jun 25, 2009
They certainly screwed the pooch on that one. That deal would look golden right about now.

Think about this, Matthews makes almost double what Gaudreau makes and buys one less UFA year. I know it's different circumstances and they play different position but damn.

I’d take Gaudreau over Matthews 10/10. Even if Gaudreau made the same amount.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Burke said a couple weeks ago that he thought they would trade Nylander in the summer. Dubas says he won't, but what choice does he have? I think they trade either Nylander or Zaitsev, and I think Zaitsev will be harder to move.
If they move Zaitsev it's more of a cap dump situation. With Nylander they could potentially get something back.

Either way they are entering the realm of the Oilers, where every team knows they are in a tough spot, so they automatically are in a bad position to negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad