Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
One thing I will say is that our cap situation gets a lot better right when theirs gets a lot worse.

The rosters could do complete 180s as well at that point.

Yeah except whatever cap relief we get in a couple of years we'll spend chasing the kind of players they have locked up already.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And it looks like the Leafs hired him to their contracts department.
This is kind of the problem with hiring guys that are saw raw to be a GM. Guy has some real good qualities, but the negative qualities just kill him.

Then again seems like there is only a couple of gm's that actually negotiate well when signing players

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Nah. Marleau is still a good depth player with only one year left after this one so it's moveable if need be. Zaitsev is a tough one but even if they attach a pick to him, they'll survive.

People call them 1st round fodder but they took both Washington and Boston to the limit in series that could have gone either way and this was before Tavares and Muzzin so it's not like they were 1st round fodder.

Non-Leafs fans need to face the reality (as much as it sucks) that even with the cap crunch, the Leafs are going to be dominating the headlines as legit contenders for a long time. A 1M or so overpayment for Matthews doesn't change that. It'll just make a bit tougher to fill out the rest of the roster.

I can't see Marleau waiving his NTC anywhere but San Jose who doesnt have to cap space for him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He’s never really gone. We’ll have to live with his legacy for the rest of our lives.

Not really. They have to find a way out of his mess right now of course but Boston looked on the ropes when he left there.

This next GM hire is important.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We'll make that call when they win a round in the playoffs. If they're bounced in the first round again, then what? If our history of hockey has taught us anything, it's that you can't take for granted success until there is a proven track record of it.

Sure, but my point is that they were within a whisker of making it to the 2nd round both years so it just shows that they are very competitive with the best and could easily beat them. This was before adding Tavares and Muzzin.

My point is that overpaying Matthews by 1M or so doesn't all of a sudden drop them from contender status. It's silly to even say that IMO.
They will have cap issues of course but it's not going to tear apart their team.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
This is kind of the problem with hiring guys that are saw raw to be a GM. Guy has some real good qualities, but the negative qualities just kill him.

Then again seems like there is only a couple of gm's that actually negotiate well when signing players

Negotiating these deals with star players seems like it would be nearly impossible, especially for a team in Canada. You have to compete with places like Florida, where the whether is great, there's zero pressure, and minimal taxes.

GM's really have no negotiating power when 30 other teams are handing out these massive contracts like candy.

I'm kinda surprised big stars leaving the team that drafted them doesn't happen more often. Some guys obviously are less about the money and more about winning... But they still go and sign crippling contracts.

The whole thing makes no sense.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Sure, but my point is that they were within a whisker of making it to the 2nd round both years so it just shows that they are very competitive with the best and could easily beat them. This was before adding Tavares and Muzzin.

My point is that overpaying Matthews by 1M or so doesn't all of a sudden drop them from contender status. It's silly to even say that IMO.
They will have cap issues of course but it's not going to tear apart their team.

And I'm saying it's silly to call them contenders when they haven't won a first round. It's like anointing a goalie a legitimate starter after only one good season. I'm saying, talk to me after the playoffs about their contender status. Let's see if they've got "the stuff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad