Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I forgot about Horton.
So they need 2 forward, 1 defender, 3 extra skaters and a backup goalie and they will have 5 mill cap space after Horton on LTIR. So they can afford 830k per player. And that's only if Dermott can play top 4. If not they need another top 4 defender.

That also means they lose both Lindholm and Johnsson cause they can't afford to even qualify them and fill their roster. Kadri, Zaistev or Marleau basically have to leave. Moving Zaistev means they need 1-2 more top 4 defenders .

It's not as easy as it looks.

Like I said, I'm guessing next year is a re-tool year where things are tight and teh team takes a step back, but I don't see the doom and gloom since they have all their core locked up long term and really only one awful long term contract. Put another way, while I'll take McDavid and Drai at $21.5M over Matthews and Marner at the same, I'd take the Leafs roster and cap situation over Edmonton's.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If they can move Zaitsev. They’ll have to package something valuable with him to offload his contract.
And then their defense consists of Rielly, Muzzin and bottom pairing guys cause they still have to let Hainsey and Gardiner walk.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I know everybody hates the Leafs but come on.
Once they lock up Marner (for 11M+ hopefully), they'll have their entire core locked up for the next 3 years at least outside of Freddy Andersen who only had 2 years left.

A core of Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Andersen will always compete with the best. Those are the toughest pieces to acquire, fill out the depth later. They also have tons of attractive trade pieces to fill out the roster with cheaper options if need be.
With that said, Matthews certainly didn't give them any discount.
Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Andersen and no depth screams 1st round exits for the next 5 years. Especially when their prospect pool is looking pretty bare. I can see the Leafs losing Sandin and Liljegren by trying to move Marleau and Zaitsev

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think Toronto will get a rebuilding team to bite on Zaitsev.

It will cost them some decent future assets but that's a better option than giving up good young roster players.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Interesting move could be just to trade Marner instead of Nylander for the RH d-man. Likely you can trade Marner for a stud D that is signed to a much better cap hit than the pending 10+ he is going to get. And trading him still rids them of 3+ more than trading Nylander's 6.9 cap hit. And you get a better D for Marner.

Still leaves them with enough offense in JT, Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Kapanen, Reilly, etc. as the core of the offense.

This would be a really bold move that could payoff bigtime imo. Basically banking on Nylander to bounce back in a big way.

Assuming you could find a young top pairing dman making under what Marner would command for 3+ years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Like I said, I'm guessing next year is a re-tool year where things are tight and teh team takes a step back, but I don't see the doom and gloom since they have all their core locked up long term and really only one awful long term contract. Put another way, while I'll take McDavid and Drai at $21.5M over Matthews and Marner at the same, I'd take the Leafs roster and cap situation over Edmonton's.

One thing I will say is that our cap situation gets a lot better right when theirs gets a lot worse.

The rosters could do complete 180s as well at that point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Toronto will get a rebuilding team to bite on Zaitsev.

It will cost them some decent future assets but that's a better option than giving up good young roster players.

Brace for Sekera for Zaitsev.

Leafs will LTIR Sekera.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It won't be a good look for Dubas when he has to trade Nylander, after telling the player and anyone who would listen that he wouldn't do it. He's in way over his head. 0/3 on big contracts in less than a year on the job.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah always a bad move to lock up the core of a perennial playoff team for the heart of their careers.

Who hasn't hit 70 points and is tied with Nuge in points this year playing with stars on his line while Nuge plays with garbage on his line?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Andersen and no depth screams 1st round exits for the next 5 years. Especially when their prospect pool is looking pretty bare. I can see the Leafs losing Sandin and Liljegren by trying to move Marleau and Zaitsev

Nah. Marleau is still a good depth player with only one year left after this one so it's moveable if need be. Zaitsev is a tough one but even if they attach a pick to him, they'll survive.

People call them 1st round fodder but they took both Washington and Boston to the limit in series that could have gone either way and this was before Tavares and Muzzin so it's not like they were 1st round fodder.

Non-Leafs fans need to face the reality (as much as it sucks) that even with the cap crunch, the Leafs are going to be dominating the headlines as legit contenders for a long time. A 1M or so overpayment for Matthews doesn't change that. It'll just make a bit tougher to fill out the rest of the roster.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Nah. Marleau is still a good depth player with only one year left after this one so it's moveable if need be. Zaitsev is a tough one but even if they attach a pick to him, they'll survive.

People call them 1st round fodder but they took both Washington and Boston to the limit in series that could have gone either way and this was before Tavares and Muzzin so it's not like they were 1st round fodder.

Non-Leafs fans need to face the reality (as much as it sucks) that even with the cap crunch, the Leafs are going to be dominating the headlines as legit contenders for a long time. A 1M or so overpayment for Matthews doesn't change that. It'll just make a bit tougher to fill out the rest of the roster.

What teams do you think Marleau would waive for? Who can afford him?

The guy has a young family, doubt he wants to uproot them again.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Who hasn't hit 70 points and is tied with Nuge in points this year playing with stars on his line while Nuge plays with garbage on his line?

You might want to look at GP. Matthews is more productive at 5v5 than even McDavid. Problem is his injuries.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it would work. Talk to Lucic into waiving the NTC and telling him that he will end up getting bought out by another team
Who knows. Maybe even the trade works for him. Lucic at 2mil isn't really a bad thing to have, yet.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

We'll make that call when they win a round in the playoffs. If they're bounced in the first round again, then what? If our history of hockey has taught us anything, it's that you can't take for granted success until there is a proven track record of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad