Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Free Agency Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He said playoffs were the goal for 19/20 and was clear about it.

This is the same roster as last year. End of story.

He hasn't done the job he was hired to do as of yet.

He has always said “compete for the playoffs in 19-20”.

Summer ain’t over.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I'm no mathematician, but something's not adding up here.

lets see:

22/23 + 4 years for draftee to make an impact = 26/27

next years draft

23/24 + 4 years for draftee to make an impact= 27/28

when drafted players make significant impacts

McDavids prime years in the Toilet and contract about to expire.

Hello LA/Toronto/New York !

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So when does the process start? The draft is gone and so are the bulk of UFAs. Not even the most optimistic Oiler fan can possibly think this is a playoff team without significant improvement even in 2020/21.

It has already started. If you wanted a splashy UFA signing or flashy trade you did not pay much attention to Holland’s pressers and interviews the last 2 months.

Reactions: WIOiler

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
lets see:

next years draft

This is the most narrow minded view one can take but whatever.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
lets see:

next years draft

Did all of our current prospects die?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don’t disagree. But we have a new sheriff in town and a new coach. Prospects are coming. And McDavid ain’t a sniveling whining quitter. I sincerely believe he wants to get this done here.

If you believe he has an expiry date good for you.

I believe he sees his contract out no matter what.

"New sherrif in town" as some kind of marketing tool losts its luster about 4 years ago. No one gives a shit about a new GM, new coach song & dance. Get actual results and then you can talk about that.

The Oilers prospect pool is overrated, there's no forward in the system that looks like they can impact an actual NHL game in a big way coming at all from the looks of it any time soon.

D depth there is fine but really, I mean Broberg is what? Maybe Oscar Klefbom ... who we already have? Having him be what Klefbom is now in 5 years from now... ok, I mean yeah, great, good, but like I'm not gonna do cartwheels over that exactly.

It's easy for you to sit there and say "hey Connor just wait 5 years" ... you have no real skin in the game. You didn't work to be the best in the world at a sport every day of your life since you were 8 years old. You haven't been told you are the next Sidney Crosby for the last 10 years of your life. You don't have that burning type of competetive drive most likely.

You can't say with an assurance that he's just A-OK with being on the worst franchise in pro sports and flushing years of his prime that he will never get back down the tubes.

It's easy to say that behind a keyboard. It's a different thing for him when he has to live that disappointment day in, day out, year in, year out. OK?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It has already started. If you wanted a splashy UFA signing or flashy trade you did not pay much attention to Holland’s pressers and interviews the last 2 months.
So where and more importantly, when is the help coming? I don’t pay attention to talk, I pay attention to action. And so far other than hiring a retread coach there hasn’t been much of that.

I’m not asking for miracles, I’m asking for one top six winger to begin with. I keep getting told they are easy to acquire.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Trade for Gusev, sign Dzingel. Start summer vacation.

Gusev-McDavid-Draisaitl
Dzingel-RNH-_______

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The future doesn't matter if Connor McDavid gets fed up with this and zones out.

And you can't just hit a button and say "OK now we're ready to compete" and think automatically you're gifted a playoff spot because now you're "trying". It may not work like that and you may find that on top of wasting previous years, now not everything is going right for you in your "compete now!!!!" season.
Add to that years of losing mentally wears down players, culture suffers, not trying 100% becomes the norm. Veterans check out. Prospects hit the wall and stagnate.

Its like we have seen this on a loop for 13/14 years yet people still keep preaching patience and resorting to straw man arguments

Reactions: EagerPug

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stauffer has pumped Maroon a few times last week. I'm scared.

At this point they may as well. Holland doesn't want to give term, and who then is really willing to take a 1 year deal. At least it might cheer up McDavid a bit and put another 12-15 goals into your top six.

Sign Maroon and call it a summer I'd say. Keep the rest of your cap open maybe for a mid-season upgrade. They're obviously not that serious about playoffs next year anyway.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
lol ? what ?

so you Don't see the far sighted view I just relayed so it becomes narrow minded because you don't agree with me ?

lol

classic

You make no room for our current prospects maturing, future additions via trade and free agency.

Narrow minded tunnel vision to fit your narrative.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Did all of our current prospects die?

Samorukov is Nurse in 6 years

Nurse gets dealth

Bouchard gets schultzed

:laugh:

im just saying. If you stick with how it usually works in Edmonton

Puljujarvi is a star somewhere else

Yamamoto ... is playing in Europe

theres all your solid prospects

Lavoie sticks around 20 goal man

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
"New sherrif in town" as some kind of marketing tool losts its luster about 4 years ago. No one gives a **** about a new GM, new coach song & dance. Get actual results and then you can talk about that.

The Oilers prospect pool is overrated, there's no forward in the system that looks like they can impact an actual NHL game in a big way coming at all from the looks of it any time soon.

D depth there is fine but really, I mean Broberg is what? Maybe Oscar Klefbom ... who we already have? Having him be what Klefbom is now in 5 years from now... ok, I mean yeah, great, good, but like I'm not gonna do cartwheels over that exactly.

It's easy for you to sit there and say "hey Connor just wait 5 years" ... you have no real skin in the game. You didn't work to be the best in the world at a sport every day of your life since you were 8 years old. You haven't been told you are the next Sidney Crosby for the last 10 years of your life. You don't have that burning type of competetive drive most likely.

You can't say with an assurance that he's just A-OK with being on the worst franchise in pro sports and flushing years of his prime that he will never get back down the tubes.

It's easy to say that behind a keyboard. It's a different thing for him when he has to live that disappointment day in, day out, year in, year out. OK?

He is not a quitter. We show progress - he plays out his contract. That is my belief. You can believe whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad